Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomato sauce Please

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Hello all,

I have to make dinner for relatives tonight in a hastily arranged get together, I've gone for spag bol from scratch. Never done it before but had a quick look in the cupboard and reckon its prob the best bet. NSC being what it is was obviously my 1st choice for advice. Ive got abot an hour:lolol:

Help makng the sauce please

Ingredients I've got:

red wine vinegar
tomatoes
chopped tomatoes in a can
tomato puree
chilli flakes(afew other spices too)
olive oil
onions
garlic

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Fry onions and garlic.
Add mince, fry til browned.
Sprinkle over tablespooon of flour (plain) and stir in til absorbed.
Tip in tomatoes, red wine (not vinegar), and all those herbs you've got at the top, plus a little worcester sauce if you've got it (or a half tsp of bovril)
Have you got a beef stock cube or any stock? If so a good pint of stock. Start it cooking now for the whole hour and hopefully it will be ready!

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Fry onions and garlic.
Add mince, fry til browned.
Sprinkle over tablespooon of flour (plain) and stir in til absorbed.
Tip in tomatoes, red wine (not vinegar), and all those herbs you've got at the top, plus a little worcester sauce if you've got it (or a half tsp of bovril)
Have you got a beef stock cube or any stock? If so a good pint of stock. Start it cooking now for the whole hour and hopefully it will be ready!

Yeah got some veg stock, defo not add the rw vinegar is it?

That'll do me, Cheers Mr Bear:thumbsup:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Ingredients I've got:

tomatoes
tomato puree
olive oil
onions
garlic

Slowly fry Onions in Olive Oil; add Garlic once onions are softened nicely; add fresh/dried Basil &/or dried mixed herbs; stick in chopped Tom's, juice & a bit of water. Allow to 'develop' & add a (pref's veggie) Stock Cube & thicken with Tom Purée.

Add cooked & drained pasta to cooked, hot sauce.

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Edit: If you have some red wine to hand - then stick a good glug of it in the sauce too! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
Once you have drained the Spaghetti, you could always add some black pepper to it(If you have a pepper mill) to zing the Spaghetti up a bit. also add a bit of colour

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Once you have drained the Spaghetti, you could always add some black pepper to it(If you have a pepper mill) to zing the Spaghetti up a bit. also add a bit of colour

Is this a stitch up????hahaha

I have the onoins softening as we speak!

Would anyone recommend adding coriander, no basil I'm afriad

Sep 1, 2010
No really it is not, just make sure you do not put too much pepper in it. I just add some pepper whilst in the drainer and then give the pasta a stir to evenly spread the pepper into it. IT IS OPTIONAL OBVIOUSLY, and 2/3 turns of the pepper mill is enough TBH

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hello all,

I have to make dinner for relatives tonight in a hastily arranged get together, I've gone for spag bol from scratch. Never done it before but had a quick look in the cupboard and reckon its prob the best bet. NSC being what it is was obviously my 1st choice for advice. Ive got abot an hour:lolol:

Help makng the sauce please

Ingredients I've got:

red wine vinegar
tomatoes
tomato puree
olive oil
onions
garlic

Chuck it all in a pan and boil the arse out of it, simples

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
You don't really need the herbs but if you are going to add some just stick to basil. No oregano. That is best for pizzas.

Spat Bol is better if you make a proper tomato sauce first. Garlic, onion, a good glug of olive oil, tinned toms, a generous squeeze of Tom purée, a bit of Worcester sauce, good bit of seasoning and then cook down for half an hour per tin of toms. This will give you a quality tomato sauce. Then add the browned mince and cook on a low heat for as long as possible adding some beef stock when necessary to keep it nice and juicy. Other ingredients that can be added are bay leaves and finely chopped or blended celery and carrot. Some recipes also include bacon or pancetta but I find that an unnecessary addition. You can also add a glug of red wine when cooking the onions and garlic but again I prefer it without.

Yum yum.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Sorry, thanks to all, it was absolutely fab and ridiculously nicer than anything you can buy and theres about 1serving left in the pot and I just had a quick taste of it and its even better.

Too late for tonight's meal, obviously, but here's my former Italian landlady's recipe for a meat sauce (being Neapolitan, she would never call it "Bolognese", of course).

Fry the garlic and onions in olive oil until just before the onions start to brown, add the meat, continue frying until the meat loses its pink colour completely, add loads and loads of oregano (and a bit more), add the mashed pulp of the tomatoes (after draining the juice from the can and throwing the unwanted juice away), add lots of tomato puree, bring to simmering point and simmer for ages and ages (at least 40 minutes), to ensure that it achieves the miraculous change in constituency that tells you it's done.

Add no liquid, no water, no wine - otherwise the finished product is simply too wet. And remember ... it's a sauce. When the pasta is cooked, mix the two together, rather than serve up the pasta and ladle the sauce on top. Stir in lots of parmesan cheese and loads of black pepper. And save half of the sauce you have made for a later meal.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
...then eat with a ridiculously large number of bottles of Chianti or Veneto

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
An hour ? I always cook my sauce Ragu for about 4 hours. Oh, and usually use a bit of milk (authentically Italian), and more than one type of meat if I have it - traditionally pork & beef, bacon happily replaces minced pork if I don't have any. Prefer to chop my own beef in a blender too, then you don't get a uniform mince grai - a bit more interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here