Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomato and Chilli Growing 2014

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd avoid planting anything tender out yet, partly because it IS too early, and also because next week is going to be chilly and frosts are likely, even down here,

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have started some runner beans indoors to grow in pots with wigwams but they are about 12ins long with 1 yellow leaf at the top is this normal or should I start some more but this time not covered under newspaper to reduce the light.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have just left them on a window sill and the leaves, as 2 more have grown, have gone green. A quick google said the problem was due to lack of light and the plants searching for the light.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will somebody correct me if I heard wrong but I am sure I heard a chef on TV, possibly James Martin saying he only uses Red Peppers as the others are the same but less ripe. ie green, then yellow then orange to red, I presume.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have started some runner beans indoors to grow in pots with wigwams but they are about 12ins long with 1 yellow leaf at the top is this normal or should I start some more but this time not covered under newspaper to reduce the light.

When I grow them and if you start again I always put the beans I'm going to plant in a shallow tray of water just until the shoot, then transfer them to pots or ground. This seems to work wonders and since doing this for about 4 years now I've never had a fail.
Sounds like your existing beans are doing fine. Give it a few weeks and they'll be roaring I would say.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
image.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I grow them and if you start again I always put the beans I'm going to plant in a shallow tray of water just until the shoot, then transfer them to pots or ground. This seems to work wonders and since doing this for about 4 years now I've never had a fail.
Sounds like your existing beans are doing fine. Give it a few weeks and they'll be roaring I would say.

They have come on leaps and bounds in the last few days so am considering planting them out tomorrow if it is not too cold. The forecast is for a heatwave next week I think

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They have come on leaps and bounds in the last few days so am considering planting them out tomorrow if it is not too cold. The forecast is for a heatwave next week I think

Excellent! I have grown produce for years and still get wobbly every year but they invariably pull through. Enjoy!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only planted these three weeks ago, a packet of jalapeno seeds from the open market plus some seeds from a mouldy scotch bonnet from last year's crop I found in the back of my fridge. They seem to have gone a bit head-mental... :ohmy:

Chillies0510B.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The last couple of years I have been growing Italian white beans, which look like Butterbeans, with some success. Great beans for putting in a chilli and excellent in my Chicken, Chorizo and bean casserole. You can get them from Franchi Seeds the variety is Fagiolo di Spagna, get in there !

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They all look amazing. Here's some of las years crop..

image.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have planted runners and climbing french beans plus potatoes all in pots. Last year they didnt do well as the pigeons mutilated them but there doesnt seem to be so many pigeons about at the moment but none the less going to put some netting up around the beans.

An amazing thing I put the french beans in an old ice cream container covered with cling film about 5 days ago I noticed last night the shoots were poking through so took the cling film off and by this morning they were about 3 ins tall so put them on the windowsill. Had breakfast and mid morning I noticed that they had grown to about 6in long thats about 3 ins in about 2 hours I couldnt believe it, so went and planted them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here