Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tokyo Olympics

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well in fairness the opening ceremony isn't until tomorrow and then the Olympics proper starts.

That said, this is the most downplayed Olympics in memory, absolutely no buzz or hype whatsoever. Feels like it's just going through the motions - let's get it over with.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Well in fairness the opening ceremony isn't until tomorrow and then the Olympics proper starts.

That said, this is the most downplayed Olympics in memory, absolutely no buzz or hype whatsoever. Feels like it's just going through the motions - let's get it over with.

You do feel for the athletes. A kid who grew up two doors down from me missed out on a place in the 2012 GB swimming team by the width of a gnats hair, and the dedication it took to get that far over many years was absolutely incredible. Up at 4:30am EVERY DAY to swim before school, back from school and then back to the pool. Weekends? What’s a weekend?

This was from a young age, so it’s questionable whether it was his parents doing the pushing or the lad himself, but regardless, you don’t become an Olympian easily. To achieve such a feat, and then for it to end up as such a damp squib after the madness of 2020 must be absolutely galling. Still, by definition these people have incredible mentalities and I’m sure they will see a medal as a medal, regardless of how many people got to witness it in the flesh.

In many ways, the Euro’s probably haven’t helped with the excitement levels for the Olympics, over here at least. Having put up with a year of sport in empty, soulless stadiums and then to get back to the kinds of scenes we saw in the latter stages at Wembley, the concept of athletics in front of basically no one becomes a tough sell.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Lovely opening ceremony so far.

Lucky enough to spend a month in Japan just before Covid hit. What a wonderful place. Absolutely gutted this is going to be behind closed doors.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Games of the XXXII Olympiad, Tokyo 2020

If the sporting action is even half as good as this opening ceremony we are all in for an absolute treat this next fortnight.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lovely opening ceremony so far.

Lucky enough to spend a month in Japan just before Covid hit. What a wonderful place. Absolutely gutted this is going to be behind closed doors.

The ceremony is gripping.
The anticipation in wondering which country is going to appear next and get waved at is almost too much for me.
Commentator is stat-tastic, I never knew that Nepal was one of only 4 countries that does not have a four sided flag.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm very much enjoying watching the 2 flag carriers for each country trying to coordinate waving a flag between them and basically all mess it up, whoever thought that was a good idea might want to be sent to the back of the class.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm very much enjoying watching the 2 flag carriers for each country trying to coordinate waving a flag between them and basically all mess it up, whoever thought that was a good idea might want to be sent to the back of the class.

I believe they got sacked last night for historic holocaust comments.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I just can't bring myself to be interested in this Games. Partly the low-key nature, partly the awkward time zone.

I'll keep note of the current* and potential** Albion footballers, but other than that don't expect to watch much of it at all.

* Mac Allister (Argentina) and Baluta (Romania)

** Kaoru Mitoma (Japan) and Marc Cucurella (Spain)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are they trying to break a world record - the longest opening ceremony on record or is it just my imagination ?

It’s just average.

On the other hand, commentators Andrew Cotter & Hazel Irvine did a great job, with a touch of ‘Eurovision’ humour, but keeping the Olympic spirit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Babes of Zambia vs Babes of China - what a thriller. China 3-1 up after like 20 minutes, now 4-3 to Zambia.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Watching the hockey and it is a farce for me. Get in the circle, whack it at someone's feet. Get a penalty corner. Celebrate. Score a goal. Celebrate again. This is the danger of VAR penalties in football. Kick it at someone's body - hope it hits their arm.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’m a bit obsessed with the Zambia woman’s team.

21 goals in their two games so far (7F, 14A)
Barbra Banda has equalled the record for most hattricks by a woman at the Olympics, with 2 in 2
In both games an opposition player has scored 4 goals against them.

Their final group game v Brazil is a must watch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
First half hour of Japan vs GB has been dire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here