Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toddler abducted

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When we went abroad with the children when they were young we would normally set up on the balcony/porch with the usual array of snacks and drinks.

Never ever would we have left them alone in an apartment.

I could never have relaxed leaving them alone however much I drank.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
hans kraay fan club said:
From the BBC;

Gill Renwick, a friend of the family, said Madeline's parents - both doctors - had been having a meal in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment and had been checking on the little girl and her younger sibling twins every half hour.

The family was on holiday with a group of nine adults and eight children.

Nine adults, and not a volunteer to babysit amongst them. Completely ridiculous. Anyone with kids knows the score - you do an hour each - its not hard.

The parents are both doctors too, not some tatooed chavs. Beggars belief.

It certainly does beggar belief. However, if the parents were tattooed chav's the tabloids would be having a field day. However, nice respectable middle class parents, doctors FFS, they don't do anything wrong do they?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The pictures of the Portugese police who were supposed to be checking cars that were leaving Portugal were disgraceful-sitting in their car until it stopped raining, hanging around talking while vehicles just went by without them so much as looking in the direction of the road.

I'm glad they're not looking for anybody in my family who has been abducted-makes me feel even more for the kid's parents.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I do not know if this is right but I am struggling to have any sympathy for the parents whatsoever, just feel sorry for the little girl who had such negligent parents.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Uncle Spielberg said:
I do not know if this is right but I am struggling to have any sympathy for the parents whatsoever, just feel sorry for the little girl who had such negligent parents.

Sorry US that is bang out of order.The parents have DONE NOTHING WRONG.For fucks sake they could lose their little girl.My daughter Emily is 3 and when I see the news about little madie it breaks my heart.You must be a right c u n t to have no sympathy for the parents or have no kids.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
on 5live this morning, they had a woman on complaining that if this were london, ther would be half the met all over the place.

well, its not London, its a very small holiday village and the constant critisism of the police is hardly going to galvanise them.

A police officer from the UK said, no-one actually knows what they have or have not done. so to hammer them is counter productive

they are hamstrung by their laws in revealing what is going on in the investigation...that is the truth of it. Its only our press that are used to instant snap headlines that are making the most noise here.

we can only hope and prey that she is still alive

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Uncle Spielberg said:

A remarkable statement from someone who made such a fuss over a horse reaching the end of its natural days. I can only assume that you do not have children. All parents take chances with their children everyday. Sometimes,incredibly sadly, children are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uncle Spielberg said:

I know I have posted on this thread, critical of the parent's [as I see it] risk taking, with their daughter's safety, but I still find your statement bang out of order.

Their actions were certainly ill-advised, but they have done nothing to deserve the nightmare they now find themselves in.

In fact, if anything, their actions make me feel even MORE sympathy for them, because they are the ones who are left saddled with guilt and recrimmination, on top of the thought of losing their beloved child.

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I know I have posted on this thread, critical of the parent's [as I see it] risk taking, with their daughter's safety, but I still find your statement bang out of order.

Their actions were certainly ill-advised, but they have done nothing to deserve the nightmare they now find themselves in.

In fact, if anything, their actions make me feel even MORE sympathy for them, because they are the ones who are left saddled with guilt and recrimmination, on top of the thought of losing their beloved child.

Best post of the day :clap:

Lush

Mods' Pet

EXACTLY. Parents are ALWAYS beating themselves up about not being good enough, caring enough, devoted enough, THERE enough. To be honest, there's a "there but for the grace of God go I" element to this whole sad story.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I just cannot think of a worse thing to happen to anyone, both the child and the parents. The parents must feel so impotent and powerless. How would you ever get through that? Knowing your girl is out there and as a parent not being able to protect or save her. Horrible.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
From what I have seen this place is not like a villa in the middle of Albafuera, it looks like Butlins or something,full of young families and the restaurant the parents were in was literally next to their apartment, there was also security shutters on the window to her room.

The whole thing is a bit wierd to say the least, but think on, how many times have you seen parents in this country and abroad leave their kids, even the very young, wandering about half the night while they sit in the Bar getting trolleyed? If this is a genuine abduction I feel incredibly sorry for the parents because they appear to have been incredibly unlucky and certainly not negligent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
jonny.rainbow said:
I find this comment particularly prejudiced and offensive.

Really?

Obviously if you read into it an inplication that 'anybody with a tatoo is a bad parent' then fair enough - that's clearly not the case, and I apologise for any offence caused.

My point was that these are educated people, who ought to have known better.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I just feel the parents who left 3 kids under the age of 4 un supervised where wrong to do so. I do not have my own kids its true but have had step kids and would like to think I/we would not have left 3 kids unsepervised. Everyone is praying she is found alive and well. I do think the comments about the press reacting differently if the parents had been working class etc is probably right and the Portugese police have been pretty hopeless but it is possible they may prosecure the parents as well. No offence meant.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
From what I have seen this place is not like a villa in the middle of Albafuera, it looks like Butlins or something,full of young families and the restaurant the parents were in was literally next to their apartment, there was also security shutters on the window to her room.

I would imagine the police are looking into the possibility that the abductor had access to the room as no forced entry is suspected.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bevendean Hillbilly said:

The resort is not a self-contained compound, its just a development of small blocks in the middle of the village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here