Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Todd Boehly wants to ring the changes...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What actually is the point of an all stars game? Who would you cheer along (or booo)? I don't understand.

:moo:

its pitched at the team-less armchair, non-supporters, the millions who get face painted for an England game when a tournement is on. to some that looks like a untapped group that need something to cheer on and makes for a great event.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
its pitched at the team-less armchair, non-supporters, the millions who get face painted for an England game when a tournement is on. to some that looks like a untapped group that need something to cheer on and makes for a great event.

Yes, but are even THEY cheering? It's so weird.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Saw a wise comment on Twitter along the lines of "If Americans are so good at marketing sports, how come their team games are only played in the US and the big, global sports have little following there?" It's a valid point. Football and cricket dwarf all other teams sports, gridiron and baseball are nowhere.

Totally this, but don't forget their gridiron, baseball, nba teams are all pronounced WORLD CHAMPIONS after they win

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This American has come in and spent a load of money and thinks it entitled him to run the agenda. No Todd. You've bought a club, not the league. Nobody cares about your stupid ideas.

The north v south game. The only way top players would play in that is for huge money. £1m might get Salah to turn up. So it would cost a huge amount to put on. A few idiots and starstruck kids would fall for the franchise marketing as they do in cricket, but ultimately this won't capture the imagination. This is before you get to the problem of scheduling it. What time of year are you getting it in? Even if the top players played, it would never feel like more than a training session, nobody is going to risk injury for this.

The relegation decider would of course be kind of fun. A second chance for the 3rd bottom team, ideally played as a one off away match. But yes the PL team would still start strong favourites. This American also fails to understand the value we put on the "league" bit of Premier League. Anything that dilutes the notion that the best team gets what they deserve over a season of games will encounter hostility. I still think play offs should be scrapped and return to 3 up, 3 down, but a number of Albion games feel that way. More revealingly, look at the hostility to the stupid Juliper League thing where a team can win by 10 points and not be champions. What a stupid idea.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
It would be seen as something akin to soccer aid or the Olympic football if it happened I reckon. Most players would find excuses to get out of doing it, or you’d end up with mostly under 23s or something.

Also, the suggestion therefore is having Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Leeds etc fans in one end, then Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs, Brighton, Palace fans all together in the other? Can’t see ANY problems with that.

More importantly though, we should try to think roughly what the teams would be, assuming a max of 2/3 from each club?

You would just take the game to a new market. Those teams have fans in the US and it would draw a big audience, they would buy merchandise - it would raise a lot of dollars. If it’s a success then we can look at maybe playing League games abroad like the NFL does in London.

* apologies I think Ted B hi-jacked my account temporarily.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I thought the idea of playoffs were ridiculous when they were first introduced into our leagues,now I think they're a brilliant end to the season.
We may well scoff at this yankiedoodlers plan now,but when the FA and FL are shown the projected income from this footballing smorgasbord and there's money to be made from it then nothing surprises me anymore in Soccer,oops I mean football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That thought occurred to me too. TB2 (Todd Boehly) seems either completely out of touch with football, or just doesn't care and wants to Americanise football for his own gains. Probably a bit of both. To me he represents everything bad about the game.

Compare his approach to what seems to be that of RR and RMcH at Wrexham, who seem to be embracing the entire football culture...poles apart.

I imagine GP will have to explain so many things about how football works to TB2. Things that he would have been able to take for granted with TB1 here.

At a superficial level GP might think TB2 and he have aligned philosophies. Not sure that will be the case when they dig a bit deeper as time goes by.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Wants more shite so there's more money = 200% in touch with modern football IMO...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The club's just wouldn't release their players to play in such an event. It certainly would be covered in their contracts, what they are and are not allowed to participate in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You would just take the game to a new market. Those teams have fans in the US and it would draw a big audience, they would buy merchandise - it would raise a lot of dollars. If it’s a success then we can look at maybe playing League games abroad like the NFL does in London.

I thought the idea of playoffs were ridiculous when they were first introduced into our leagues,now I think they're a brilliant end to the season.
We may well scoff at this yankiedoodlers plan now,but when the FA and FL are shown the projected income from this footballing smorgasbord and there's money to be made from it then nothing surprises me anymore in Soccer,oops I mean football.

I asked earlier where this huge revenue is going to come from and no-one has yet answered. A game in the EPL brings in approx £15m in global TV rights. I reckon a non-competitive game like this would bring in less but there may be a few million in sponsorship: the north sponsored by Britain's finest tripe merchants while the south is sponsored by Quinoa-R-Us.

But, as Nobby has pointed out, it will cost serious dosh to stage, reducing the amount available to distribute to "the pyramid"

And that's before you ask questions about when it's going to be staged and whether anyone will be interested. It's worth noting that The Hundred's TV audience fell by 20% this year as the novelty has worn off (and that's a competition that doesn't bring in any revenue to the sport - indeed, it costs millions to stage).

I really can't see this idea as a money-spinner at all

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All Stars north v south utterly pointless. They do it in baseball (American League vs National League) but its just a meaningless exhibition game. Why add that to an already congested calendar ?

However. I've long been a fan of the concept of a relegation playoff. Bottom 2 go down, 18th place is drawn into the Championship playoffs (where top 2 still go up, 3rd, 4th and 5th then playoff with the 18th placed PL team).

Mmmm. Pure box office.

Pretty sure we had a playoff arrangement in the late 80s or early 90s where the team that finished 2rd from bottom was in a playoff with the teams who finished 2-4 th in the division below, and it was quickly binned when it became obvious it totally favoured the higher division team (and gave them a financial reward for being the 2nd shittest team in their league). it's a no for me.

How about this, though. All owners call Todd could be invited to **** right off, and keep on ****ing off until they have ****ed so far off they start to reappear around the other side?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Todd mate, you bought one club not the league!

Stupid septic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can we get relegated to the Championship, please? :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pretty sure we had a playoff arrangement in the late 80s or early 90s where the team that finished 2rd from bottom was in a playoff with the teams who finished 2-4 th in the division below, and it was quickly binned when it became obvious it totally favoured the higher division team (and gave them a financial reward for being the 2nd shittest team in their league). it's a no for me.

How about this, though. All owners call Todd could be invited to **** right off, and keep on ****ing off until they have ****ed so far off they start to reappear around the other side?

Think relegation playoffs works well in a lot of leagues. Yes I think the club from the top tier wins about 75% of those playoffs but I'm not sure its supposed to be seen as an "even playing field" thing - more as a final long shot chance to get into the first division. As long as it's not done to decrease the current number of teams promoted/relegated, I'm all for it.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
It’s a calculated sneaky move, can’t get a ESL so suggest a north / south game in the Premier league then “ hey guys how about Premier league v La Liga “.
Then roll out leagues against leagues !

I know pretty far fetched but wouldn’t put anything past these types of owners……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It’s a calculated sneaky move, can’t get a ESL so suggest a north / south game in the Premier league then “ hey guys how about Premier league v La Liga “.
Then roll out leagues against leagues !

Those matches used to happen - I can't remember when they stopped (early 70s?) but there was once a Football League team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here