Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Todd Boehly wants to ring the changes...

Sep 9, 2010
Apparently an All Stars North versus South would be a good idea. As would a 4 team tournament for relegation.

Jurgen Klopp's reaction is hilarious and he rips the p*ss out of Boehly saying it would be the UK equivalent of The Harlem Globetrotters.

What was telling was Boehlys justification... Basically it would bring in lots and lots of money.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All Stars north v south utterly pointless. They do it in baseball (American League vs National League) but its just a meaningless exhibition game. Why add that to an already congested calendar ?

However. I've long been a fan of the concept of a relegation playoff. Bottom 2 go down, 18th place is drawn into the Championship playoffs (where top 2 still go up, 3rd, 4th and 5th then playoff with the 18th placed PL team).

Mmmm. Pure box office.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apparently an All Stars North versus South would be a good idea. As would a 4 team tournament for relegation.

Jurgen Klopp's reaction is hilarious and he rips the p*ss out of Boehly saying it would be the UK equivalent of The Harlem Globetrotters.

What was telling was Boehlys justification... Basically it would bring in lots and lots of money.

All-Star game... wouldnt watch it but wouldnt be the end of the world... but I have a feeling he has more suggestions and most of them will likely be hideous.

However, if there's money to make from it, 20 out of 20 PL clubs are going to listen.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
All Stars north v south utterly pointless. They do it in baseball (American League vs National League) but its just a meaningless exhibition game. Why add that to an already congested calendar ?

However. I've long been a fan of the concept of a relegation playoff. Bottom 2 go down, 18th place is drawn into the Championship playoffs (where top 2 still go up, 3rd, 4th and 5th then playoff with the 18th placed PL team).

Mmmm. Pure box office.

When the playoffs were first introduced in the mid 80s the first two seasons involved a team from the 1st division and 3 from the second division. The 87-88 season saw Chelsea relegated from the top flight after losing to Middlesbrough over a 2 legged final.

Sep 9, 2010

Mmmm. Pure box office.
Agree with this. Could add a further incentive for those in the relegation positions to stand a chance of retaining their league status. Heart attack territory if your team is involved, but entertaining for the neutral.

Sep 9, 2010
All-Star game... wouldnt watch it but wouldnt be the end of the world... but I have a feeling he has more suggestions and most of them will likely be hideous.

However, if there's money to make from it, 20 out of 20 PL clubs are going to listen.
Yep, and imagine the discussions about how the money is distributed...

Echoes of the European super League (or whatever it was called). The "big six" will argue they should have the lion's share as they have most of the players represented, or they will claim they're responsible for drawing in the audiences. The remaining clubs miss out again. Rich get richer, poor get poorer.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Stupid ideas.

But, oh, oh, I know.

How about a league made up exclusively of the top clubs from each European League.

We should call it the Super European League.

Or maybe the Super League Europe.

Or even the League European Super?

Think about ALL THAT MONEY. :drool:

These big 6 owners change names but don't change their tune.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Mmmm. Pure box office.
It was done. It was tried, and it was a bloodbath of a kick-fest. Forget it.

Agree with this. Could add a further incentive for those in the relegation positions to stand a chance of retaining their league status. Heart attack territory if your team is involved, but entertaining for the neutral.
Crap idea. Been tried and failed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Mmmm. Pure box office.

NBA All Star game, where no defense in played, which if adopted into the PL, would mean a game ending 16-15 and be totally pointless.
In terms of a relegation play-off, can't see it happening as the potential for crowd trouble would be higher, and believe that was one of the reasons why it was dropped after a few seasons.

Just waiting for the idea of when youth players reach the age of 21 they all go into an PL draft to be floated, and no doubt manager time outs, say 2 per half to enable more adverts for the TV audience.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Feck off, another American with no idea on "The world game" their philosophy on soccer, is all about money, and how they can rinse every last penny from it..

hope your felling satisfied with yourself Potter, clearly you have made the right decision, a club with a proud history, that started with Russian money, made through corruption, now owned by an American with no morals or understanding of the beautiful game.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
When the playoffs were first introduced in the mid 80s the first two seasons involved a team from the 1st division and 3 from the second division. The 87-88 season saw Chelsea relegated from the top flight after losing to Middlesbrough over a 2 legged final.

And the Chelsea fans weren't overly pleased. 102 arrests 45 injured, including 25 police. They started the following season with a terrace ban and the play offs stopped including teams that may be relegated. Having fans of a team being promoted and a team being relegated all in the same stadium turned out to be a fairly bad mix. Who'd have thought it?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Surprised he hasn't suggested a blacks v whites match or a men v women given the recent extra financial potential of women's football to be exploited. As daft and far fetched as those two suggestions may be the first one actually happened in 1979....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...v-white-football-west-bromwich-albion-players

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Ok so what defines Nouth and South? The Watford gap service station? This kind of stuff sometimes works where there are clearly defined large areas, NSW Vs Queensland in the Rugby, they tried it with Victoria vs The rest in the AFL and it didn't work. I don't mind the idea of relegation payoffs

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What a load of boehlycks.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This Todd needs flushing. It’s starting to cause a stink.

If Potter thinks that the Todd is a good person, he really is a very poor judge of character, or perhaps the £60m contract has clouded his view.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
In my experience, "all-star" games even in American sports aren't something people get all that fired up about. It works better in something like baseball, where the risk of a player picking up an injury during the all-star is pretty low. There was, for a time, even the "motivation" that whichever team won (the NL or AL team) would get home field advantage for their representative in the World Series.

But there's a reason why the "pro-bowl" (the NFL all-star game) is held after the end of the season. Nobody wants to get hurt playing a meaningless exhibition game in the middle of the season.

All-star games (including the MLS all-star, which can never seem to settle on a format anyway) just end up being shitty games where players have very little time together before the game and nobody is trying too hard because they don't want to pick up an injury. There is no reason to believe an EPL all-star would be any different.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I love my NBA but NBA all-star games are an absolute pointless joke of a spectacle.

Players don't even try because they don't want to get injured.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting reaction on Twitter: the English fans think an All-Star game is an absolutely dumb idea; American 'soccer' fans think it's great and the limeys are so stupid for not having tried it before.

Personally, I can't see how it's going to be a big money raiser. A one-off exhibition match played between two sets of players who won't exactly be working flat out is going to attract how much TV money? £5m? £10m? Maybe some sponsorship too but there's not going to much small change to distribute to "the pyramid" - particularly if the PL teams take the bulk of it

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It’s comments like these that make me think it’ll all end in tears for Potter sooner rather than later, and I’m someone that wishes him well and would like to see him succeed (although of course I’m gutted he’s gone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here