Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's World Cup draw: location will be crucial

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh FFS, what are the BBC thinking?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25250691

[h=1]2014 Fifa World Cup: Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand joins BBC team[/h]
Rio Ferdinand will be part of the BBC punditry team for the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil, BBC Sport has announced.
The Manchester United defender and former England captain, 35, has 81 international caps and was selected in four World Cup squads.
He joins other former England players Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Phil Neville to provide analysis of the tournament in June and July.
"I really want to provide a different sort of insight and analysis," he said.
Ferdinand is close friends with many of the England team and is on Greg Dyke's Football Association commission, which was set up to improve the national team's fortunes.
In addition to his punditry role, he will present a documentary and film features during the tournament and will have a special role with interactive and social media content.
"I want to interact with audiences throughout the summer, with special forums and using social media to answer viewer questions and provide extra content," he said.
"I'll be cheering on England, especially with quite a few of my club-mates involved. But there'll be a great array of Premier League players on display throughout the tournament and I'm excited to see how they all perform on the big stage."
Presenter Lineker believes Ferdinand's forthright opinions will be popular with viewers.
"Rio has a reputation for telling it how it is and I'm sure audiences will look forward to hearing his opinions and insight in the studio," he said.
"He is a fine footballer with a proven track record and has played with and against some of the top internationals who will be at the World Cup. We're already incredibly proud of our BBC team and we're delighted to add Rio to our line-up."
BBC head of TV sport Philip Bernie said: "We are delighted to have Rio with us for the World Cup and believe he will be a real star of our coverage this summer," he said.
"The BBC has a proud reputation of delivering the biggest names and highest quality coverage at major football tournaments and we are sure Rio will play a central part in helping us deliver this again."

Will he remember he has to be on a plane to Brazil or will he forget and go shopping ?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
the games in the Amazon will be humid as hell and the city is 2500 miles from Rio - could be a big impact. think one of the games there kicks off at 2am British time too

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm hoping that we get a really strong group. That way if we make it through we'll have loads of confidence and if not we'll have an excuse! ;)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doomed.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Will he remember he has to be on a plane to Brazil or will he forget and go shopping ?

Either that or he'll tell the BBC he doesn't feel very well so can't travel all the way to Brazil.....and then pitch up on a pundits sofa in Qatar for Al-Jazeera instead, with Phil Brown and James Cordon.

The piss-concealing duck-faced GOON.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The seed we get is irrelevant. I can see the headlines now being all about playing Brazil/Argentina/Spain/Germany and people declaring it an impossible task, but really that doesn't matter. What is absolutely crucial for England is the team we pull out of Pot 2, which is the African and South American non-seeds pot. Pot 3 (Japan, Iran, South Korea, USA etc) looks competent but not overly threatening and to qualify we will definitely have to beat that team. But it's all about Pot 2. If we get a team like Chile on their own continent then we will be in a world of trouble. On the other hand, Algeria or Cameroon would be far less dangerous.

Firstly, couldn't give monkeys about location as it will be the same for the teams in that group. As above, we could end up with Brazil as the seeds, us from pot 2, Japan, US and Mexico being the strongest from pot 3 and then possibly Holland, Italy, Portugal, France from pot 9. Of course, we might not get selected for Pot 2 but could still end up in that group. Need to hope we aren't picked out for Pot 2 as we could then get Switzerland as the seed. Not easy but better than some of the others.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]408992340985266177[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here