Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Support

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Money has completely taken over, it's not about the fans anymore.

I was with my Swansea supporter mate yesterday, at 3 nil he said he was proud to be there amongst true football fans, yesterday's away attendance was amazing, well done to everyone who made the effort, I only had 16 miles to go home, I only know too well what the journey is like from Wales to Brighton, well done to you all :clap:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Good analysis. And I blame sky. I think there is a danger now that fans through the door is so unimportant compared to tv money that when they wake up to the problem it will be too late. Quite simply a lot of people would rather watch football on the telly than live in the wet and cold.

Side note, how can a modern stadium be that wet and that cold?!

I believe that when the new tier was built and only partially had the ends faced off that this has caused the gaps where wind and rain can come across

It's the wettest I've been since withdean

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
When clubs like Cardiff are getting 13,000 home fans through the gate (and I'm pretty confident it was, in reality, more like 10,000), then football needs to look at itself. Their support has plummeted in recent seasons, and it's not even due to the red shirts/ Vincent Tan factor now. That game wasn't even one of the pricier ones and yet they still struggle to attract fans along.

When you say 'When clubs like Cardiff' I presume you're talking about the same Cardiff City who used to get crowds around the 4k mark back at Ninian Park? It's a rugby 'town' and always will be, football being a distant second for most unless they're in the Premier League. A complete non-argument, Vincent Tan, red shirts or otherwise. 10k is a good crowd for Cardiff.

The lady has indeed foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
When you say 'When clubs like Cardiff' I presume you're talking about the same Cardiff City who used to get crowds around the 4k mark back at Ninian Park? It's a rugby 'town' and always will be, football being a distant second for most unless they're in the Premier League. A complete non-argument, Vincent Tan, red shirts or otherwise. 10k is a good crowd for Cardif
Indeed, a debate about the fickleness of Cardiff fans would be more appropriate. They were pulling 20k plus when they moved to the new stadium and enjoyed promotion to the PL. Go back 10 years and a crowd of 14k would have been very good for them.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
To take over 1000 to Cardiff for a 12.30 kick off on sky is impressive!

Great support throughout in what was some of the worse conditions I've experienced in a while! Also can't have been 14k there! There is no way that place was nearly half full!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
When you say 'When clubs like Cardiff' I presume you're talking about the same Cardiff City who used to get crowds around the 4k mark back at Ninian Park? It's a rugby 'town' and always will be, football being a distant second for most unless they're in the Premier League. A complete non-argument, Vincent Tan, red shirts or otherwise. 10k is a good crowd for Cardiff.

The lady has indeed foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt

Cardiff were always a traditionally well supported club but there was a time (not sure when, I think 80's) where H&S went mad in Wales and stands were closed or numbers allowed were slashed to really low levels yet theses conditions didn't apply to many English grounds which may have been in a worse state of repair. The low gates were imposed and it took a while to recover.

Your argument would be like comparing our support at Gillingham & Withdean.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
we took 30000 in 2004...:wink:
29,297. He he no not really but seem to remember 29k was mentioned at the time. The biggest 'away' support we have had backing the team and that eclipsed the Wembley play off final and cup appearances. (waits for someone to tell me I am wrong)

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Cardiff were always a traditionally well supported club but there was a time (not sure when, I think 80's) where H&S went mad in Wales and stands were closed or numbers allowed were slashed to really low levels yet theses conditions didn't apply to many English grounds which may have been in a worse state of repair. The low gates were imposed and it took a while to recover.

Your argument would be like comparing our support at Gillingham & Withdean.

Can't agree Freddie, I lived in Cardiff for several years during the 80s. 10k for Cardiff in the second tier is a decent turnout today.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Then you probably know more than me then.

They hardly helped to encourage visitors either and I suspect it's better (safer) now. Ninnian was a truly nasty place to go and, not only did you have to try a fake accent, you also needed to dress like a meathead from the 80's to have any chance of going undetected!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Getting old so limit my away trips but had to do this one as Daughters live in Cardiff. Hello to everyone who stayed over in the Premier Inn plus on Friday night the barman at a local pub complained I was the third person to ask for the 'sparkler' to be removed from the ale pump. A sly knowing smile from me that Sussex drinkers were in the house.
And to the family making a real long weekend and cruising to Bristol Tuesday, well done guys.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That new Bobby Zamora song was catchy. Like to hear that one again.

Didn't hear it as we watched it in Savannahs with the sound turned low for fear of waking some babies up. Would have been different if the Rugby was on.

Not being funny but why do we need another song for BZ? The majority of our players have no song whatsover. If there's one thing our fans lack, it's imagination.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
I got there 35 mins late (don't ask) - flippin drenched, just in time for 3rd goal and still managed to have a good time!

Loved the 'We come from behind, we come from Behind! We're Brighton Hove Albion - we come from behind' song and non stop singing for last 20mins+.

Only ground I've been to with a roof where you still get wet - even under the stands at half time.

Cardiff nightlife good And the Tafs are a laugh..,

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't agree Freddie, I lived in Cardiff for several years during the 80s. 10k for Cardiff in the second tier is a decent turnout today.

2009–10 20,717[53] Championship 4th
2010–11 23,193[54] Championship 4th
2011–12 22,100[55] Championship 6th
2012–13 22,998[56] Championship 1st
2013–14 27,429[57] Premier League 20th
2014–15 21,123[58] Championship

Even if we take the official figure the 14k is woeful compared to recent seasons and highest this season just 15k, basically their gates down 35% there are clearly issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here