Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's ref

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Excellent I thought, let the game flow and allowed a bit of 50/50 rough housing which made a nice change from the pernickety wankers we often get. Can't blame him in anyway for the defeat which is a bit depressing

The linesman on the North Stand side was absolutely clueless and a bit embarrasing in his reticence to make offside decisions that were so obvious or even actually make decisions.

Entertaining game, well reffed imo

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:clap:

Whoever the referee was, he deserves credit. Very good performance, no drama and no controversy. The Dicker challenge was a bit iffy, and another ref might have sent him off for that, undeservedly. I thought the linesmen were decent aswell.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Examples?

Two Southend players who became involved in the play at least 3 yards offside when the ball was hoofed forward midway through the 2nd half, appalling standard of running the line. Looking to the ref for advice on whether it was a throw in or a goal kick in the 1st half when the lino was right on the spot

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Two Southend players who became involved in the play at least 3 yards offside midway through the 2nd half, appalling standard of running the line.

It can't have been overly blatant though, I didn't notice it. And it's not like the North Stand were up in arms about it. In fact, were the North Stand there today? Come to think, were the South Stand? (H Block aside)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It can't have been overly blatant though, I didn't notice it. And it's not like the North Stand were up in arms about it. In fact, were the North Stand there today? Come to think, were the South Stand? (H Block aside)

If 3 yards isn't blatant how much would you like and the area around me was definitely up in arms on that occasion, although it came to nothing and we cleared the ball.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
he was the ref for the game at stadium MK between MK dons and norwich earlier in the week and gave a shocking decision for a pen against norwich , but today done alright ,
not amazing but best ref we have probs had at withdean for a while , seen as though we normally get rubbish refs .. :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If 3 yards isn't blatant how much would you like and the area around me was definitely up in arms on that occasion, although it came to nothing and we cleared the ball.

Well, it probably wasn't 3 yards because that's the sort of thing I would have noticed. The fact that neither I, nor anyone around me, spotted it, makes me think you are either mistaken, or exaggerating. Happily, we'll probably never know because it didn't come to anything.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Best of the season. Let's hope things are improving on the ref front.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bald refs are generally pretty good.

Apart from Rennie of course.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
are you sure he was good the bloke near me thought he was a bald c*nt all through the game,but then as his language was cu*t this and cu*t that all through the game it was hard to tell.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He was ok - for once he had no truck with the attempts at time-wasting. Plus he looked a lot like this bloke
051209_moby_vmed.widec.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well, it probably wasn't 3 yards because that's the sort of thing I would have noticed. The fact that neither I, nor anyone around me, spotted it, makes me think you are either mistaken, or exaggerating. Happily, we'll probably never know because it didn't come to anything.

it was Lee Barnard and was probably more than 3 yards offside when the ball was played. Barnard deliberately stood 5 - 10 yards behind the defenders (as T Henry used to do) then ran back to challenge for the ball as it dropped. This happened twice.

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
Yes he did - but they were both from goal kicks. And as everyone knows (apart from those baying for the linesman's blood) you can't be offside from a goal kick.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It's refreshing for a change on a Sunday morning to see a thread that doesn't have the blinkered view of blaming the ref for our pathetic performances. :clap:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's refreshing for a change on a Sunday morning to see a thread that doesn't have the blinkered view of blaming the ref for our pathetic performances. :clap:

Agreed, but the linesman on the South side was a c**t :wrong:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I agree the game was well reffed - but from where I was there was a blatant push when southend won the ball for what turned out to be the winner.

Yes our defense was crap but should have been an albion free kick. Cost us the game!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes he did - but they were both from goal kicks. And as everyone knows (apart from those baying for the linesman's blood) you can't be offside from a goal kick.

It took quite a while for some in the South Stand to realise this - mainly as they had to be TOLD.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would have thought one of the first points of order to be a football fan was to know the rules. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here