Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s ref Neil Swarbrick

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ball was there to be won from a heavy touch so no complaints there. In real time it looked like Stephens got the touch on the ball, the replays are (somehow) less conclusive. I've seen it from a few angles now and still can't work it out, looks to me like Dale did play the ball back against Boufal and this is what tripped him. Considering how close Swarbrick was we'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt I suppose.

There's an awful lot more analysis on here of whether that was a foul, than why the ref didn't blow for Knockaert's handball OR Izquierdo's clear foul, in the build up to OUR goal!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think some of the fouls given the both sides were very soft, the bookings for Duffy, Murray and Bong were correct.

BUT, Southampton committed many fouls that were the same to ours that were booked but went without booking. No consistency.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought the ref for the Everton game was worse.

Yesterday's ref was OK. The comments about 'his positioning was poor' aren't right. It's just one of those things if it means he gets in the player's way. For where the ball was, and where the play was, he was in the correct position.

Southampton's blatant (let's not say deliberate - a bit harsh) handball was no worse than Murray's handball (arm up trying to control a ball he couldn't legitimately get) - and neither were booked. On another day, it could have been both were booked. At least there was consistency there.

The bookings for Murray, Bong and Duffy were all correct. Maybe one or two more Saints players could have been booked.

The free kick for the goal may well have been 'soft', but a soft foul is still a foul. Stephens did slightly get Boufal, enough to knock him over - though he did make a meal of it.

On another day, Dunk sending the Saints forward into the advertisement boards (well, nearly) would have resulted in a free-kick and yellow card. It didn't, which made it all the funnier.

Seen far worse refs. Don't get me started on the two dozy linos though... :facepalm:

For a touch of perspective, I was talking to a mate who is a Southampton fan (watching from WSU) who thought we were too hard; bullies. I replied I thought the Saints players were made of paper. Like I said - perspective.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
There's an awful lot more analysis on here of whether that was a foul, than why the ref didn't blow for Knockaert's handball OR Izquierdo's clear foul, in the build up to OUR goal!
Just watched the replay of the goal. Couldn't see what could be classed as a foul by Izquierdo & I think the handball by Knockaert would've been very harsh

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well the pundit on tv didn’t think much of the handball and you know they are always right :whistle:

But in all seriousness I tend to look for players reactions and only Bertrand raised his arm momentarily..no one was that bothered after it went in

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just watched the replay of the goal. Couldn't see what could be classed as a foul by Izquierdo & I think the handball by Knockaert would've been very harsh

Well the pundit on tv didn’t think much of the handball and you know they are always right :whistle:

But in all seriousness I tend to look for players reactions and only Bertrand raised his arm momentarily..no one was that bothered after it went in

I agree the handball shout would have been harsh, but could easily have been given. the Izquierdo moment is a few seconds earlier than the replays of the goals show. He cut in from the right, let the ball get away from him, and left a foot in as the defender knocked it away from him (to one of our players). 100% a foul.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here