Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Todays ref Micheal Oliver

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
he gave murray nothing ....2 players both attacking the ball with their feet at shoulder height....negligible contact .....free kick southampton .....!! certainly no howlers but definitely not a homer ......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it was more the fact that Oliver took a leisurely 60 yard STROLL over to have a squiz, before trotting back to the middle.

I fully expect timewasting from the opposition, but to see the ref doing it...bloody hell.

This. No one around me was worried at all by the placing of the ball, just the time spent to have a closer look. Surely the assistant checks to see the ball is partly on the line? I do when I'm running the line in under 12s.

To add to that I've no complaints at all about Stephens' yellow but they should have had one in the first minutes for the taking out of Bissouma. Very similar cynincal, take one for the team type foul.

Penalty shout looked like a clear pull back from where I was but I've not seen it again. We were discussing it post match and people who'd seen it abroad on telly had varying views on it.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Not sure about the penalty decision but the Southampton defender clutching his face for absolutely no reason seemed a bit suspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Had an excellent game imo. The penalty appeal was correctly turned down. I can normally find fault with the officials when we lose that may have contributed to a defeat, scratching around this time :smile:

Yes me too.

Good ref, my only very minor criticism related to the non-booking of the Stains player who brought down/held Bissouma in the first half.

Correctly booked Stephens but the incidents were similar to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not really referee related but if ever the stupidity of football crowds was summed up in one moment it was when Bertrand was taking a corner in the first half and the crowd jeered about the ball being outside the quadrant so Oliver came to look. I could see from 50 yards away that a lot of the ball was overhanging the line. It’s amazing so many people go to a game without knowing the rules.

This. Me too.
Stupid rule but overhanging is overhanging, was clearly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not really referee related but if ever the stupidity of football crowds was summed up in one moment it was when Bertrand was taking a corner in the first half and the crowd jeered about the ball being outside the quadrant so Oliver came to look. I could see from 50 yards away that a lot of the ball was overhanging the line. It’s amazing so many people go to a game without knowing the rules.

I think it was more the fact that Oliver took a leisurely 60 yard STROLL over to have a squiz, before trotting back to the middle.

I fully expect timewasting from the opposition, but to see the ref doing it...bloody hell.

This. No one around me was worried at all by the placing of the ball, just the time spent to have a closer look. Surely the assistant checks to see the ball is partly on the line? I do when I'm running the line in under 12s.

It must be a mixture because everyone around me was irate about the positioning were happy he walked over to check, but fuming when Oliver didn't insist it be moved. As for the lino checking, it was the west side, the lino was at the other end of the pitch.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The most annoying thing he did for me was that he didnt book the pull back on Bissouma but somehow found his card when Stephens did the same thing. He had a bias for me from then on.

I sit West Lower between the two incidents.Pull back on Bissouma might have warranted a card but was early in game. Stephens was def a card he pulled Southampton player to the ground from behind. (Really stupid).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Oliver really grinds my gears. Obviously a very good ref but the Dean mannerisms are getting worse. The fist pump to one of our players to show what a good advantage he played. The stroll to check the corner. The 10 seconds in a squat position to show how well placed he was. Whistling for a throw to show what a good spot it was. Contrast with Andy Madley who just gave decisions in a calm, unassuming manner and had an equally good game. Refs with giant egos can go really wrong.

theboybilly

We played well against CP, Watford and ManU at home. Any others?

We did indeed. I was thinking of the games in our 'horrendous run of results' mentioned by pocketseagull.
We will be safe, I'm convinced of it, but unless there is a change of attitude it will surely be more of the same next season. The cup run is a nice distraction but really can you think of a game where Albion have looked that convincing? Maybe Bournemouth away would be the pick

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
he gave murray nothing ....2 players both attacking the ball with their feet at shoulder height....negligible contact .....free kick southampton .....!! certainly no howlers but definitely not a homer ......

I'm with you on this one. I don't go to away games, so my view is based on his games at the Amex. I see him as a awayer rather than a homer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

To add to that I've no complaints at all about Stephens' yellow but they should have had one in the first minutes for the taking out of Bissouma. Very similar cynincal, take one for the team type foul.

Penalty shout looked like a clear pull back from where I was but I've not seen it again. We were discussing it post match and people who'd seen it abroad on telly had varying views on it.

At the time, I thought it was a clear pen. But having seen it on MOTD, Propper does an airshot when off balance so I can see why it wasn't given tbh.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I sit West Lower between the two incidents.Pull back on Bissouma might have warranted a card but was early in game.

Pretty sure the laws of the game don’t mention that it’s when a foul is committed that dictates whether it’s a card or not.

It was a yellow all day long and he was inconsistent.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pretty sure the laws of the game don’t mention that it’s when a foul is committed that dictates whether it’s a card or not.

It was a yellow all day long and he was inconsistent.
Shirley he was applying the laws correctly? It is a foul to grab hold of a player to prevent him going where he wants/needs to go, except when it is a Brighton player who is held/wrestled to the ground; that is the law isn't it? We've seen plenty examples of that in recent weeks.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
My only gripe was that after 5 substitutions in the second half he only added 4 minutes yet it was pretty clear the Southampton players were taking every opportunity to waste time, especially once they'd scored.

Having said that, he could have added another 44 minutes and I suspect that we'd still have struggled to muster a shot on target.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We did indeed. I was thinking of the games in our 'horrendous run of results' mentioned by pocketseagull.
We will be safe, I'm convinced of it, but unless there is a change of attitude it will surely be more of the same next season. The cup run is a nice distraction but really can you think of a game where Albion have looked that convincing? Maybe Bournemouth away would be the pick

No others, you’ve covered it.

Jul 7, 2003

The assistant on that side was in the other half. It was probably the assistant who thought it looked like the ball might be out of the quadrant and used the headset to get Oliver to check. At a recent u23s game when the officials all had headsets and the assistant was talking to the ref through the corner process. "Ball is in quadrant"; "Ball is in play" so the ref could concentrate on the penalty box.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The best Referee we have. Today he let the play flow as much as he could and not one really contentious decision. We were beaten fair and square by a team set up better to do the required job (which i think was a draw but Saints will take any win) Albion were awful and we have been for quite a while now (apart fromPalace) I think it's time to face facts and start looking towards a more adventurous style of play than this boring dross that is being served every week.

er.....you do know who are manager is don't you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here