Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today's player ratings - Leeds (a)

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Kuszczak - 7 - commanding with crosses, perhaps should have done better for the first although it was a sharp finish

Bruno - 5 great pass for our goal, all over the place from the sublime to the ridiculous and his ball retention was awful
Upson - 7 - solid
Greer - 7 - solid -
Calderon - 7 - definitely the weak link when played at left back but coped incredibly well with the extra attention down Leeds' right, no help at all from an anonymous Barnes in the first half

Crofts - 4 don't remember him being on the pitch, woeful, anonymous
Bridcutt - 5 - thought he's been off the boil pre-season and t carried on today. Think the ball goes forward more quickly in the new system and that doesn't suit him. Gave ball away too much
Orlandi - 6 quiet yesterday, might have performed better had their been some pace on the opposite flank for Leeds to think about
Dave - 6 did well given lack of pre-season, few stupid mistakes when he got tired but if he hadnt have played yesterday options were limited
Barnes - 3 presumably chosen over Buckley to help calde defensively, didn't do it. Offered nothing going forward, didn't even put his usual shift in. Hopefully Oscar was blinded by his goals in pre season and will get Buckley back in now
Ulloa - 7 - great goal, got his fair share of stick from the two centre backs but kept at it

Agustien -7 - changed tempo of the game, need to get him fit asap
Buckley - 6 should have buried the header, needs to start in future
LuaLua - 6 great run and cross to create Buckley chance

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Only 3 of yesterday's starting XI weren't with us at the same stage last season. And even then, Ulloa is the only one of those who didn't sign in August. I'd be amazed if we didn't get a couple more players in. Listening on the radio, it sounded like an even game and one that we easily could have won. Disappointing that our usually solid defending let us down. Leeds are probably a more effective outfit under McDermott and I'd be surprised if they didn't have a good season.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The 'neutral' Sunday Times goes

Kuszczak 5
Bruno 5
Greer 6
Upson 5
Calderon 6
Crofts 7
Bridcutt 7
Orlandi 7
Lopez 6
Barnes 6
Ulloa 6

Sub

Aug6

Too much 'love' on here for PIG I feel. The mark for Crofts ? interesting

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Who are you guys calling a pig? And why?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Thanks Buckers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kenny appears to have done a better job than Kuz, on the day

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Too much 'love' on here for PIG I feel. The mark for Crofts ? interesting

There are some who feel it is unfair to judge keepers in the same way as outfield players, that keepers should start on ten and only lose points if they mess up. When he doesn't have a lot to do his rating will seem generous (and I suspect is the reason for most of his highest match ratings last season).

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Kuszczak...6 OK performance, I'm not deluded enough to think he could have done anything about the goals
Bruno...4. Stinker. Went downhill last season, no sign of coming back up yet.
Upson..5. Not as assured as usual.
Greer.. 5. Looked lacking in pace at times, whose idea was it to stand 10 yards offside when we have a free kick?
Calde.. 6. worked hard but he's no left back, unfortunately.
Bridcutt..5. Rare off day.
Dave..5. Lacking match fitness.
Orlandi..5. Not too inspired.
Crofts.. 7. Now, you see, this is where I wonder if some people watch the same game as me, I saw a solid midfield performance.
Barnes..4. Sorry, I know it's unpopular with NSC. But offered nothing.
Ulloa..6. Well taken goal, other than that, worked hard with little reward.

Kemy.. 6. Looks like he will be classy when fully fit.
Buckley..6. Made things happen
LuaLua.. 6. As Buckley

Ref..0 preening overacting prat with no bottle.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I actually wasnt too impressed with the PIG yesterday. Besides thinking that he could have done better for the first goal his restarts were shocking. Either gave it to Upson or Greer, then Leeds closed them down quickly or tried to kick it to one of the wings and made it difficult for the player to control in time.
Agree that Kemy looks as though he will be a good addition.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Agree with much of what's been said. Most were below par. However...

I'm a great admirer of Orlandi, but he lacked his usual creativity and penetration yesterday. As did Lopez. In spades.

Bruno is heading into embarrassment territory. What a pity, especially if injury is the cause.

No matter about temporary fitness levels, Agustien did look a hugely competent, strong and creative performer. Much promised.

Ulloa seems to get just better and better. Not just up front (totally classy finish) but his defensive play is a revelation. (As was Murray's.) He puts in a shift all round and shirks nothing. His acquisition was a Gus masterstroke.

Crofts seems a feeble shadow of the player whose loss to Norwich seemed such a blow. What on earth happened?

Our fans: Totally disappointing. Incredible volume post-Ulloa gave way to an almost sullen silence once Leeds had scored. Hardly a peep thereafter. So much for the 12th man effect...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Our fans: Totally disappointing. Incredible volume post-Ulloa gave way to an almost sullen silence once Leeds had scored. Hardly a peep thereafter. So much for the 12th man effect...

More than half decided to sit down and keep silent after Leeds got the equaliser , their only participation was the occasional applause when we strung a few passes together
Albion Away Rating 2

Kuszczak 6
Bruno 6
Greer 6
Upson 7
Calderon 7
Bridcutt 6
Lopez 6
Crofts 6
Barnes 6
Ulloa 8 (MOM)
Orlandi 7

subs

Agustein 7
Buckley 7
Lua Lua 7

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What a funny old thread. Learnt nothing from it apart from Ulloa and Calderon vied for MoM and the Barnes haters will be out in force again this year. What bothered me most pre season was that I thought very few players played 90 minutes so I questioned if the players would be fit enough. The number of apparently under par performances seems to suggest that may have been the case yesterday.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I was not at the game, but a couple of comments:

- Bridcutt's off day was not "rare" based on performances so far this season. He was also poor against Villareal and had a stinker against Norwich. Early days, but so far he is way off last season's form.
- Bruno appears to be just continuing his form from last season. He was great when he first signed, but all downhill since then. I hope he can regain his form, but apart from one or two flashes of the old Bruno I have seen nothing to give me much encouragement. Calderon is much more reliable at RB.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What a funny old thread. Learnt nothing from it apart from Ulloa and Calderon vied for MoM and the Barnes haters will be out in force again this year. What bothered me most pre season was that I thought very few players played 90 minutes so I questioned if the players would be fit enough. The number of apparently under par performances seems to suggest that may have been the case yesterday.

To be perfectly fair both sides looked out of sorts yesterday.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Kuszczak 6

Bruno 4
Greer 4 - Would have been 5 but couldn't understand what he was doing with that free kick at the end
Upson 5
Calderon 5

Bridcutt 5
Crofts 4
Orlandi 5

Barnes 3
Ulloa 9 MOM
David 5

Subs:

Buckley 7
LuaLua 6
Kemy 8