Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's letters in the Argus

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Like this one:

Letter: Stadium will harm the university
It is laughable. Those who, in any other situation, would criticise John Prescott now find themselves wholeheartedly supporting his decision in favour of the Falmer stadium - he is being lauded as a paragon of democracy.

People such as Roger Sweetapple and Kevin Allen (Letters, December 12) celebrate the Deputy Prime Minister's "democratic" decision, despite the fact it won't be democracy being examined in the judicial review but the legality of the decision.

If only it were democracy, then, presumably, the first two public enquiries would cancel out the decision of the third enquiry, as well as John Prescott's.

Stadium supporters, whose perception of the subject is myopic to say the least, label those opposing it as Nimbys.

But objectors come from all over Britain. I live in Newhaven so this stadium would have no direct effect on me.

But I would welcome it being built in my back yard, preferably on the site of the proposed, ghastly incinerator.

As a graduate of the University of Brighton, I think the artist's aerial impression (The Argus, December 10) is ample evidence it shouldn't be built at Falmer - it is too close. Students should make their views known before its built.

It will overwhelm the surroundings, making degree-level learning near impossible. As students, we are de facto custodians of the university for future generations.

Students opposed to this inappropriate neighbour should email Lewes District Council via www.lewes.gov.uk in support of the judicial review.

-Henry Page, Newhaven

How will having a brand new state of the art stadium with learning facilities make degree-level learning impossible?! And the least said about the Waterhall one the better!

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Few good letters in Albions favour.

It is laughable suggesting that a stadium will effect on their degrees, or as she so aptly phrased "making degree-level learning near impossible". What other levels of education do they do at Brighton University? :dunce:

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"As a graduate of the University of Brighton, I think the artist's aerial impression (The Argus, December 10) is ample evidence it shouldn't be built at Falmer - it is too close. Students should make their views known before its built" -Henry Page, Newhaven

They have had five f***ing years to make themselves heard....but of course they are only there for four years at max, therfore what are you banging on about you cretin

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Scarface said:
Like this one:

Letter: Stadium will harm the university
Those who, in any other situation, would criticise John Prescott now find themselves wholeheartedly supporting his decision in favour of the Falmer stadium

not true

:bowdown:

prescott3.jpg

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
It will overwhelm the surroundings, making degree-level learning near impossible.

why?? they aren't closing any pubs/bars or clubs to build the stadium on??? :drink: :drink:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
surrey jim said:
why?? they aren't closing any pubs/bars or clubs to build the stadium on??? :drink: :drink:

Perhaps they won't be able to concentrate in the library knowing that there is a hefty great big stadium sitting there.

I assume that she is talking about dirusption, with construction. But then, she didnt really explain her point very well. Looks like she could have worked a bit harder, herself.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
"It will overwhelm the surroundings, making degree-level learning near impossible. As students, we are de facto custodians of the university for future generations."

A stadium that would be used about 23-25 times a year, mostly at weekends, would make degree-level learning impossible?

f***ing hell, whilst I was at University I was on the booze nearly every night, took a number of narcotics and ate cheap frozen food. I also lived next to a main road and a graveyard, whilst my University buildings were next to a mainline railway station.

Yet I came out with a 2:1 after 3 years study.

Guess Staffordshire students are made of stronger stuff than these Brighton wimps.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Pick of the bunch;

Letter: Albion could be playing at Waterhall by now
I am puzzled why, despite the delays and expense, the Albion has ignored the Waterhall site for their new stadium.

It is superior to Falmer and Brighton and Hove City Council has always said it is available.

It is a natural valley and the stadium would fit snugly into its immediate surroundings.

Existing road and rail links are close. With a railway platform added, it would allow football supporters direct access.

Waterhall lies within Brighton and Hove's boundary so all planning issues would be under the council's control.

The existing park-and-ride facilities are close so bus journeys would be shorter than to Falmer, making a substantial saving in greenhouse-gas emissions.

Had the Albion chosen Waterhall first, they would probably be playing there now.

-D J Wood, Brighton

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Lammy said:
Pick of the bunch;

I am puzzled why, despite the delays and expense, the Albion has ignored the Waterhall site for their new stadium.

It is superior to Falmer and Brighton and Hove City Council has always said it is available.

It is a natural valley and the stadium would fit snugly into its immediate surroundings.

Existing road and rail links are close. With a railway platform added, it would allow football supporters direct access.

Waterhall lies within Brighton and Hove's boundary so all planning issues would be under the council's control.

The existing park-and-ride facilities are close so bus journeys would be shorter than to Falmer, making a substantial saving in greenhouse-gas emissions.

Had the Albion chosen Waterhall first, they would probably be playing there now.

-D J Wood, Brighton

I hope for the state of that person's sanity, that it's a wind-up. Otherwise just how IGNORANT can someone be? I hope these muppets aren't holders of driving licences, as I fear for other road users health and safety

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I like the idea that people talk about putting an extra station next to Waterhall as though it was easy peasy and cheap.

Have a look at the railway line next to Stamford Bridge. If THEY haven't got their own station built then we are hardly likely to!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lammy said:
Pick of the bunch;

-D J Wood, Brighton

What a great idea why didnt somebody else think of that 7 years ago:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought you and your consortium did think of that Brian?

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
DJ Wood:shutup: Get your facts straight and fcuk off back to Mars

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
dave the gaffer said:
I thought you and your consortium did think of that Brian?

No Shoreham Airport or Beeding Cement Works but I have now seen the light 'STAND UP IF YOU WANT FALMER'

Incidentally I am going to buy my OAP season ticket at Withdean next season, as predicted on SCR 7 years ago when it was said we would be at Withdean for 3 years.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Let's hope some of the dimwits who write in will read this letter first:

Letter: Amazed by ill-informed objectors
It never ceases to amaze me how ill-informed the objectors to the Community Stadium at Falmer can be. P Carder (Letters, December 7) was a good example.

As a member of the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England, I would have expected him or her to know the details but this wasn't the case.

The Falmer site is owned by Brighton and Hove City Council, not Brighton University.

A small part is owned by the University but it has agreed to sell it to the club, presumably in return for demolishing the hideous structures currently there.

Contrary to P Carder's belief that "at least half the proposed stadium site lies within Lewes District", in fact almost none does.

A coach park and small section of road do but even if this is what Carder was referring to, it is much less than half the development.

Branding John Prescott's decision "legally dubious" seems based solely on the fact it was in favour of the stadium.

And to try and tarnish the Albion's campaign by calling it "disgraceful" and "intimidating" is ridiculous.

The Prime Minister and John Prescott have commented on how impressed they were with the good-natured, humourous and innovative approach fans took.

P Carder must have found it intimidating to realise just how high the level of local support is for the stadium.

Finally, P Carder's generalisations about local students show just how out of touch with the real world organisations such as the CPRE are.

Unsubstantiated assertions that "many ... support Greenpeace or the Green Party" paints an outdated view of students as crusty, tree-hugging hippies.

As a recent graduate of the University of Sussex, I can reveal many students welcome the educational opportunities which will become available as a result of Falmer going ahead.

Contrary Lewes District Council, students are only too happy to debate the issue openly.

-Chris Bell, Bristol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here