Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today's change of approach

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. I can't recall a single Bart -> backtracking striker ping along the floor.

2. Groß came deep and central, a lot, to pick the ball up, whilst not being under pressure, and dictating play from there.

I know their two goals came from our own ball-playing errors, but these tweaks to the tried-and-tested approach we've been used to did seem to give us more control, again, when looking to play out from the back.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
.....also I noticed the "pfaffing about at the back" starting point was with the potential two receivers standing much wider, almost out to the touchline.... I thought that looked a bit better, not crowding that space just outside and central to the box.

Jimmy Grimble

1. I can't recall a single Bart -> backtracking striker ping along the floor.

2. Groß came deep and central, a lot, to pick the ball up, whilst not being under pressure, and dictating play from there.

I know their two goals came from our own ball-playing errors, but these tweaks to the tried-and-tested approach we've been used to did seem to give us more control, again, when looking to play out from the back.
Mentioned in another thread but the Gross tactic started in the second half against Marseille.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Yes I imagined Billy playing where Gross was today. Am now swaying towards Gilmour and Baleba being our best midfield 2. However I’d also play Gross in behind the striker rather than the 2 strikers RDZ seems to be going with.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mentioned in another thread but the Gross tactic started in the second half against Marseille.
I did wonder if someone was going to come along and say something like that.

I'll be honest, my recollections from the State Velodrome are a bit hazy, and not because I was drinking. I think I was just intoxicated by the atmosphere!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First 20 minutes Gross played the Libero role, the spare CB next to Gross and Igor, dictating play. Anyone here watch the brilliant Beresi do this for the 80’s/early 90’s AC Milan team?

But for me the choice of starting line up was the vital ingredient. Despite 5+ days until the Marseille game, RDZ gifted Emery three points. Hinselwood and Gilmour offered next to no pace or power, against a Villa best 11 full of athletes. 5+ days until their European tie was disregarded by Emery. Why the hell did we throw a vital PL three points?

Contrast to today, pace everywhere. Baleba and Adingra looked the business against Plucky … today RDZ treated the PL seriously.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
First 20 minutes Gross played the Libero role, the spare CB next to Gross and Igor, dictating play. Anyone here watch the brilliant Beresi do this for the 80’s/early 90’s AC Milan team?
Sorry ........... Gross playing the libero role, next to Gross and Igor? I know he's good ............... but you've lost me!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

But for me the choice of starting line up was the vital ingredient. Despite 5+ days until the Marseille game, RDZ gifted Emery three points. Hinselwood and Gilmour offered next to no pace or power, against a Villa best 11 full of athletes. 5+ days until their European tie was disregarded by Emery. Why the hell did we throw a vital PL three points?

Contrast to today, pace everywhere. Baleba and Adingra looked the business against Plucky … today RDZ treated the PL seriously.

Sorry ........... Gross playing the libero role, next to Gross and Igor? I know he's good ............... but you've lost me!

The free extra player next to the CB’s.

It’s got nothing to do with the standard of the team or players, it’s a position. Many Italian teams, no matter how low, included in a Libero. Beresi was just the supreme example.

https://theconventionalplaymaker.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/positions-explained-the-libero/
Is that what it was - didn't know it was an actual 'thing'. I just thought Gross was playing at centre-back for a while!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here