Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TODAYS BIG CONVERSATION: War with Russia

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't think Putin will be in the hot seat for as long as many think and Russia will be a more liberalised place in years to come.... wether that's a good thing or not who knows!!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I fear this is the most unstable period of time since 1963 Russia is flexing its strength and so far has done so with impunity.

Not helped by a European Union in disarray due to Brexit, the continuing Greek financial situation, the continued migrants from war torn regions and various internal elections.

Turkey's national conservative government and a major NATO player who rejected by the west is now seeing the middle east as where its future lies.

Several states who have or are working towards nuclear weapons North Korea, and Iran and create unstable regions.

Pakistan has nuclear weapons but are they secured the northan region of the country are beyond government control and only a year ago Taliban fighters attacked the country's main military base they were defeated but this base housed a nuclear weapons store.

Islamic State as an entity is about to be defeated but the ideology has not and this is likley to evolve into a far more dangerous fight in our own back yard.
Oi! We're talking about Russia only here, war with other countries have their own other threads ;)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One of the greatest clips in televisual history. Please watch;

[yt]r3BO6GP9NMY[/yt]

Another fan. Perhaps you have clicked on my perky strapline . . . .?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Russia calls Britain's new aircraft carrier 'a convenient target'

The Russian military mocked Britain's new aircraft carrier on Thursday, saying the HMS Queen Elizabeth presented "a large convenient target" and would be wise to keep its distance from Moscow's warships.

The giant vessel, Britain's most advanced and biggest warship, embarked on its maiden voyage on Monday, prompting British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon to say he thought the Russians would look at it "with a little bit of envy."

More 》》》》http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-britain-aircraft-idUSKBN19K0XT

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think Putin will be in the hot seat for as long as many think and Russia will be a more liberalised place in years to come.... wether that's a good thing or not who knows!!!

Hmm, dictators don't tend to let the Liberals in that's the trouble. And unlike the West where war is deplored, it's what makes you popular in Russia. Take back one of those nice juicy Baltic steaks (see what I did there?) and you're an eternal hero of the Motherland.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hmm, dictators don't tend to let the Liberals in that's the trouble. And unlike the West where war is deplored, it's what makes you popular in Russia. Take back one of those nice juicy Baltic steaks (see what I did there?) and you're an eternal hero of the Motherland.

:lolol:

The democratic west has caused more trouble in the world than Putin. We tend to democratically elect lunatics like Blair and Cameron who have directly destablised the Middle East and North Africa and caused the migration of Muslims to Europe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

The democratic west has caused more trouble in the world than Putin. We tend to democratically elect lunatics like Blair and Cameron who have directly destablised the Middle East and North Africa and caused the migration of Muslims to Europe.
Don't remember us invading N.Africa, Horn of Africa or even Afghanistan until AQ killed 3000 people in the Towers. Which was kind of, well, a declaration of war!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Btw, I meant deplored as in Western people. Not politicians.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't remember us invading N.Africa, Horn of Africa or even Afghanistan until AQ killed 3000 people in the Towers. Which was kind of, well, a declaration of war!

Yes Afghanistan was justified because of 9/11. It's the taking out of Saddam and Gaddafi, and supporting rebels in Syria that has ****ed us all over.

Btw, I meant deplored as in Western people. Not politicians.

It's our polititians who have been our biggest problem.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
When do you think the West will go to war with, conventional or nuclear? Arguably we already are (cyber). It's not just the rhetoric, Russia is dangerously emboldened, expansionist (Crimea, Ukraine, Middle East) and clearly smells weakness amongst democracies (and let's face it, we are and that's before we look at other NATO members who are in an even worse state)

Could it happen in the next few years? Perhaps not as unamaginable as once seemed and arguably more likely than during the Cold War.

Expert commentary as always - what does NSC think?

No, Russia doesn't have the clout to take on NATO. More likely Turkey to invde Europe.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Its going to start when Trump is thrown out of office

cnntrue.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What would anyone go to war with ? The following hostilities would be fought with bows and arrows.

Seriously, as reasoned as it sounds it's a dumb question. No one side could win as there would be no spoils. When both sides have the capacity to totally destroy each other the battle is fought without death- just the wish to make impoverished.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
When do you think the West will go to war with, conventional or nuclear? Arguably we already are (cyber). It's not just the rhetoric, Russia is dangerously emboldened, expansionist (Crimea, Ukraine, Middle East) and clearly smells weakness amongst democracies (and let's face it, we are and that's before we look at other NATO members who are in an even worse state)

Could it happen in the next few years? Perhaps not as unamaginable as once seemed and arguably more likely than during the Cold War.

Expert commentary as always - what does NSC think?
The Wednesday after next. About 3.30 after the noon.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What would anyone go to war with ? The following hostilities would be fought with bows and arrows.

Seriously, as reasoned as it sounds it's a dumb question. No one side could win as there would be no spoils. When both sides have the capacity to totally destroy each other the battle is fought without death- just the wish to make impoverished.

It's not a dumb question, especially when your reasoned answer is it won't happen because neither side could be sure of winning. Since when has that stopped wars starting?!! But I think I understand the wider point you're making, which is fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here