Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Argus (LDC On Falmer)

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
The article below appeared in today's Argus.

A councillor representing the leading opponents to Brighton and Hove Albion's Falmer Stadium has been telling voters on the doorsteps the party is not against the plans.

Lewes residents have complained of being misled by a councillor canvassing for re-election about the Liberal Democrats' position on the development.

Lewes Bridge councillor Jim Daly told Lewes Albion fans who challenged him on his party's opposition to Falmer that the Lib Dems are not against the stadium - just the way it was decided.

advertisement
If this were true it would represent a huge U-turn for the party, which has fought the stadium development at every stage of the planning process.

The Seagulls Party, made up of Albion supporters targeting Lib Dem wards in Lewes, said the canvassing showed the ruling party is "running scared".

An Albion fan and Lewes resident, who did not want to be named, opened the door to Coun Daly last week. He told The Argus: "I was pretty shocked, as someone who has followed the saga for years and has read every scrap of news about it. I have never heard of any policy change by the Lewes Liberal Democrats."

Coun Daly was asked to clarify his position by The Argus. He said: "Our opposition was not against the stadium, it was against John Prescott telling people he could build where he liked and how he liked.

Provided Ruth Kelly does everything properly, whatever she says we'll go along with it."

Seagulls Party election candidate Roz South is standing against Coun Daly in the Lewes Bridge ward on May 3. She said: "It is astounding. If he felt that he should have spoken up at the time. The silence in the council chambers when members had the opportunity to speak was astonishing.

"It strikes me that somebody's running scared."

Her colleague Ed Bassford, who is standing in the Ouse Valley and Ringmer ward, said: "It's a bit rich.

It does suit them to fudge it at the moment."

The official Lib Dem line remains that the party is against the stadium.

Coun David Neighbour, the council's cabinet member for planning, is fighting for the East Saltdean and Telscombe Cliffs ward. He said: "We're against the building of any major construction on an area of outstanding natural beauty."

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
LDC councillor in lies shock :eek: :eek: :eek: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
another PR cock up for Lewes Lib Dems, couldnt have come at a better time:clap:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hope the voters all see this then and realize the left hand ain't talking to the right hand in the LDC!

C'mon Seagulls!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did you read the Marina Pepper article......

She is one nasty piece of work

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Well to be fair, as i understand it they haven't been anti Stadium, just anti Falmer??

which as far as we're concerned is the same thing i suppose.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dave the Gaffer said:

"I see myself as The Queen to Ann De Vecchi's Prime Minister"

Stupid bitch:lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unbelievable crap this lot now spurt out.............

Hopefully the message is now loud and clear.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
QUOTE: Coun Daly was asked to clarify his position by The Argus. He said: "Our opposition was not against the stadium, it was against John Prescott telling people he could build where he liked and how he liked.Provided Ruth Kelly does everything properly, whatever she says we'll go along with it."

That is absolutely unbelievable. I thought I was a bit of a pedant (right words to GOSBTS anyone?) but that really takes the biscuit. So LDC have spent all this money and wasted all this time - simply because they didn't like the way John Prescott approved the plans? "Oh the stadium's fine, we just don't like the way he announced it." What a load of BOLLOCKS!

I don't believe it, but LDC have sunk even lower in my opinion. Just tell the truth Daly you lying little shit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Seagulls Party said:
Unbelievable?

Or completely believable Lib Dem duplicity?

Regardless of who wins the election, we have won the argument.
Yes, sorry, it is of course completely believable. Maybe after the election (when we're not constrained by the electorial expenses rule) we can use the S.P. funds to take out adverts in the Argus and other papers with a collecton of these quotes - all attributed?

Then perhaps we can get 'em to do what they said they'd whilst canvassing - support the stadium by withdrawing the LDC objections.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Seagulls Party said:
Unbelievable?

Or completely believable Lib Dem duplicity?

Regardless of who wins the election, we have won the argument.

surely we have only "won the argument" when Ruth Kelly says Yes!

....although I agree with your sentiments obviously

unnameable said:
The article below appeared in today's Argus.

Coun Daly was asked to clarify his position by The Argus. He said: "Our opposition was not against the stadium, it was against John Prescott telling people he could build where he liked and how he liked.

Provided Ruth Kelly does everything properly, whatever she says we'll go along with it."

to be fair ti the guy, that is what the LIb Dems have been saying since 2005 at least.

This is from their web site http://leweslibdems.org.uk/news/000006.html

Although in agreement that the team requires a new stadium, local Lib Dem campaigners remain convinced that Falmer is the wrong location for it to be built. They can ask for a judicial review to take place which could still put the brakes on the project. Local Lib Dem District Cllr Neil Commin said:

"Two independent and highly experienced planning inspectors agree with us and it's difficult to see how the Deputy Prime Minister can ignore their recommendation."

"His own government has issued planning guidance designed to protect Areas of Natural Beauty and National Parks against this sort of development."

"We'll be studying his letter in some depth to see how he justified his decision."

Opposition to the development is also backed by the local Lib Dem MP Norman Baker who added, "This decision has been made purely for political reasons rather than on planning grounds."

Print this news story.
Previous news story: New Lib Dem group launched in Newick (Tue 1st Nov 2005).
Next news story: ID cards are expensive and won't work say Lewes Lib Dems (Mon 7th Nov 2005).

Printed and hosted by Prater Raines Partners, 82b Sandgate High Street, Folkestone CT20 3BX.
Published and promoted by Lewes Liberal Democrats, 23 East Street, Lewes, BN7 2LJ.
The views expressed are those of the party, not of the service provider.

Dave the Gaffer said:

Last month in The Argus letters pages Coun Pepper described herself as the "Queen to her Prime Minister", referring to her civic role as council chair in relation to Ann De Vecchi's political position as council leader.

Responding to the furore, Coun Pepper said: "I explained in my speech that I came as a peacemaker but that our armed forces have a vital role to play.

"I see myself as a future leader and was speaking as someone who cares about our communities.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Are the SP candidates allowed to call the LibScum candidates lying bastards as they wait outside the polling stations?

Every time they open their mouths they need reminding that they are lying scum.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Storer68 said:
Last month in The Argus letters pages Coun Pepper described herself as the "Queen to her Prime Minister", referring to her civic role as council chair in relation to Ann De Vecchi's political position as council leader.

Responding to the furore, Coun Pepper said: "I explained in my speech that I came as a peacemaker but that our armed forces have a vital role to play.

"I see myself as a future leader and was speaking as someone who cares about our communities.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

say it quietly but she used to cite Thatcher as a role model. God forbid she ever became leader

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Buzzer said:
say it quietly but she used to cite Thatcher as a role model. God forbid she ever became leader

You've been checking out her Playboy profile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here