Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To those who do not agree with Trade Unions.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Unions saved my bacon from the malicious wrong doings of a security company I used to work for. Refused to pay me when I was off after being stabbed with a screwdriver on the job, refused to let me take it as holiday pay. Tried to have me done for gross misconduct to get out of paying me back pay they owed and holiday pay they hadn't provided.

The boss was this huge Nigerian who could barely speak English but tried to intimidate staff into cowtowing to his will. The look on his face was priceless when I turned up to the hearing with my union rep and a witness in tow. The rep proceeded to shut him down and I walked out of there with a cheque for 4k and I already had another job lined up well away form the security sector.

I seem to recall I was suspended from work at the time and so also got free legal aid (of course, Tory's have done away with that now. Typically) who said they'd back me if it went to court.

You'd be shocked the amount of bully's there are out there. Unions ensure they do not get away with it.

Unions. Join one. They're good.

Don't you mean the Conservative Party as they're the party of the working class people who will look out for their best interests

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
You'd be shocked the amount of bully's there are out there. Unions ensure they do not get away with it.

A touch of racism there Nibble...the boss was a huge Nigerian...does it matter what race the boss was,as for your last line...I don't think I'd be shocked about the amount of bullies...there are loads of them in the unions,I've experienced it first hand and also seen perfectly good workers being out of a job because they didn't obey the convener wishes...unions are good,for the working man but only if union bosses are not on some power trip.
Do you think that the union rep would be at court if you were a ordinary working man who didn't pay subs and line the pockets of the unions...no chance,like lawyers they see a way of justifying their existence.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A touch of racism there Nibble...the boss was a huge Nigerian...does it matter what race the boss was,as for your last line...I don't think I'd be shocked about the amount of bullies...there are loads of them in the unions,I've experienced it first hand and also seen perfectly good workers being out of a job because they didn't obey the convener wishes...unions are good,for the working man but only if union bosses are not on some power trip.
Do you think that the union rep would be at court if you were a ordinary working man who didn't pay subs and line the pockets of the unions...no chance,like lawyers they see a way of justifying their existence.
it does when the next line was ''who could barely speak english'', nothing racist in that at all, and levelling frivolous charges like this one make the problem of false accusations 10 times worse.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
of course he wouldnt, why would he ? thats the whole point of subscriptions.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Unions saved my bacon from the malicious wrong doings of a security company I used to work for. Refused to pay me when I was off after being stabbed with a screwdriver on the job, refused to let me take it as holiday pay. Tried to have me done for gross misconduct to get out of paying me back pay they owed and holiday pay they hadn't provided.

The boss was this huge Nigerian who could barely speak English but tried to intimidate staff into cowtowing to his will. The look on his face was priceless when I turned up to the hearing with my union rep and a witness in tow. The rep proceeded to shut him down and I walked out of there with a cheque for 4k and I already had another job lined up well away form the security sector.

I seem to recall I was suspended from work at the time and so also got free legal aid (of course, Tory's have done away with that now. Typically) who said they'd back me if it went to court.

Alternatively save your union fees and employ a decent employment lawyer which in my experience scares the living shite out of an employer much more than a toothless union.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Alternatively save your union fees and employ a decent employment lawyer which in my experience scares the living shite out of an employer much more than a toothless union.
Yes WS, because a decent employment lawyer is well within the financial scope of the majority of security guards :facepalm: its insurance if anything.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The boss was a very large man from Nigeria who could hardly speak English. If I was to move to Nigeria I wouldn't be offended if I was called an average sized Brit who could hardly speak Nigerian. Just the facts.

The union got me out of bother and put the wind up a guy that liked to bully employees and withhold pay. Job done and happy to have paid my dues to get the help.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes WS, because a decent employment lawyer is well within the financial scope of the majority of security guards :facepalm: its insurance if anything.

In all the cases I or people I know have used an employment solicitor the employer has ended up paying the bill.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
it does when the next line was ''who could barely speak english'', nothing racist in that at all, and levelling frivolous charges like this one make the problem of false accusations 10 times worse.
Most of the site security that I have come across can barely speak English. .that includes many born here.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

That toothless union got me all the money owed to me, forced the company to pay loss of earnings, forced them to provide a written letter offering me my job back, and sorted out a bully.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Most of the site security that I have come across can barely speak English. .that includes many born here.

Yep, the cowboy security companies rely on it. They sit through the SIA exam with the guard (well Temple Security did), provide all the answers then stick the poor sod on a ludicrous contract, working all the hours under the sun for min wage and pay no holiday and try and get away with docking wages for all kinds of petty nonsense. Guys that can hardly speak English and don't know about unions and employment law are their stock employees. And they're bloody useless.

Used to be decent plain clothed, well trained, public minded security with a good grasp of law and of the job. Now it's full of immigrant meatheads in ill fitting uniforms with no grasp of anything.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'm a big supporter of unions, where they are directed towards this sort of incident. Ironically though union membership is pretty weak in private industry. It's strongest in the public sector (or ex public sector like transport) where employment protection rules are high and well enforced. You could very well argue that this was a victory for those unions.

What has happened though is that these public sector unions are now controlled by the far left, primarily because only 1 in 10 union members vote in elections and the left is very good at getting their core vote out. These people use the unions not to advance the cause of their members but as a political mouthpiece to try and impose their view on the world. They divert union funds to fund candidates of their choosing.

My old union the PCS is a good case in point. Probably about 10 years ago they created a "political fund" so that they could use members subs to support political parties. While not a Labour voter I wouldn't have minded them supporting Labour candidates as they actually might have an effectt, but they chose to give money to TUSC candidates. The effect the TUSC has is roughly equivalent to the number of votes they got. http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/05/worst-election-result-ever-tusc-gets-zero-votes.

The PCS is now pretty much bankrupt as thousands of members have left. They've suspended new elections and are planning to sell of their assets.

I expect your poor boss went under after all that,still you're alright jack!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here