To those (including myself) who can't go past the Goldstone.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Will you be able to lay the ghost to rest when the Amex finally opens?

I'm still not sure. I've never been past since '97 and I can't look north out of the train window when passing through Hove.

are you f***ing serious?

move on old chap,

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Never had a problem. In fact I used to walk past the Goldstone on a regular basis when it was being demolished....a kind of morbid fascination really after attending matches there for the previous 30+ years.

yeah ditto, I took a ton of pictures while it was being knocked down, i'll put them on here when I get a chance.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I will be happy to shop at any outlet there under the following conditions.
1) Each business admits to being cuplable in the near destruction of Brighton and Hove Albion.
2) Pay a 3 million pound fine, with interest at 20% backdated for 14 years.
3) The people resonsible for the deal admit to corruption and serve a minimum of 20 years.

Then I might just consider returning, until then each business is and will remain condemed in hell.

added to which I have no need to go into Hove and buy toys, sofas, burgers, electrical goods or cheap and nasty sportswear.

I did have a need to go into Hove and watch brighton and Hove Albion. And I shall never do that again

The Gold Stone

Sep 26, 2010
I'm glad it's not just me who's been avoiding looking at it. I've had to drive past it but kept my eyes firmly on the road and never looked directly at it. It's like building a shopping centre on the graveyard of a loved one!! Like te idea of a walk from there to Falmer, a sign of moving on!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I will be happy to shop at any outlet there under the following conditions.
1) Each business admits to being cuplable in the near destruction of Brighton and Hove Albion.
2) Pay a 3 million pound fine, with interest at 20% backdated for 14 years.
3) The people resonsible for the deal admit to corruption and serve a minimum of 20 years.

Then I might just consider returning, until then each business is and will remain condemed in hell.

Absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Toys R Us and Burger King are no more culpable to the near destruction of Brighton & Hove Albion than the bloke on minimum wage driving the digger that tore down the stands.

The deal was done, Archer sold the site and made his grubby millions, it was redeveloped as a retail park and the businesses moved in. They had no part in how it all came about, so to hold them as directly responsible for the near-death of our club as the shysters who sold us down the river is so wide of the mark I thought Holroyd hit it.

Agree with your 3rd point though.

Aug 9, 2008
Made a decision never to visit, go passed or look at the old place until I had sat down in our new home and seen our first league game, not long now I guess although, after so long I doubt I'll have any need to go passed it anyway.

1066gull

had to work there not long ago. felt very sore for the club. i didnt pay a penny kin the place but i remember the houses from the news clips and it never felt right

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only debate is whether to go via Withdean or the Lord Nelson; however, our son, who'll be coming along, also has a taste for Harveys.:whistle:

I can't see the relevance of going via Withdean unless you go via the Pissfilled first.

Personally, I no longer have a problem with going there and bought my TV there.

I must admit, though, that the shock of driving past unprepared during demolition made me avoid driving past again for a number of years. That sight still fills me with dread now when I think of it. Hopefully, that pain will go away after the first game at Falmer.

I will go back on the morning of 6th August.
I will show my son in law where i stood on the North Stand.
We will then go to Withdean and raise a glass to "The Theatre of Trees".
We will then go to Falmer, and possibly cry.
I will never go back.
They broke my heart.
BASTARDS.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In life you have to be able to move on, but some people move on quicker than others.

I can understand bitterness towards the retail park while we were playing at Gillingham, but once we came back to Brighton the club were quickly successful again and embarked on getting a permanent home, so to see those feelings persist to this day is slightly puzzling.

For my part I started going to the Retail Park after 2 or 3 years of it being there. In some respects I prefer to be shop there than, say, Lyons Farm in Worthing because it's nice to stand on the spot where I used to watch football AND get my shopping at the same time.

As for the ground, I remember standing on the East Terrace in 1983 and looking down at the crumbling concrete beneath my feet. It was past its sell-by date even then.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Yes, how else am I going to walk to the Amex from the Goldstone on 6th August?
The only debate is whether to go via Withdean or the Lord Nelson; however, our son, who'll be coming along, also has a taste for Harveys.:whistle:

Surely it would have to be a walk to Priestfield first, then back to Withdean and then Falmer ?

Edit : B*gg*r, must read the whole thread before posting !

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I go through Hove on a fairly regular basis. Never once have I driven past the Goldstone site since it closed. I will make a point of turning into Nevill Road and going round via other roads back to the Old Shoreham Road, or go down Sackville Road. I do not intend doing so until August 6th. From then on, I will be happy to go past again. Isn't there going to be some walk on 6th August from the Goldstone to the Amex? Or is it from Withdean? Whether it is either, I will probably go on it. As regards the businesses on the retail park, I hold no grudge whatever against Toys R Us, Burger King, etc, though I have no desire whatever to give my custom to any of them.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have always expected that the new stadium would mark the time when I could finally go past the Goldstone Ground (R.I.P.) site again. As the time has come closer though, I'm really doubting whether I will be able to. That place still represents such a huge part of my life, a solid rock, amongst the ever-changing World of my adolesence. the place is full of memories and emotion, and I do think I'd break down in tears to walk around there and see ToysRUs, or whatever is now sat where I used to stand.

No, I don't think I will be able to lay the ghost to rest, even if I went there, it will be full of ghosts, it always will be. But I've never been back, will I after August 6th? No, I'm not convinced I will. I no longer live or work anywhere near Hove. None of my friends live near the ground, there is always another window on the train as you go past. I'm not sure what the purpose will be of returning there. It's no great inconvenience to avoid it, so I think I probably always will.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have always expected that the new stadium would mark the time when I could finally go past the Goldstone Ground (R.I.P.) site again. As the time has come closer though, I'm really doubting whether I will be able to. That place still represents such a huge part of my life, a solid rock, amongst the ever-changing World of my adolesence. the place is full of memories and emotion, and I do think I'd break down in tears to walk around there and see ToysRUs, or whatever is now sat where I used to stand.

No, I don't think I will be able to lay the ghost to rest, even if I went there, it will be full of ghosts, it always will be. But I've never been back, will I after August 6th? No, I'm not convinced I will. I no longer live or work anywhere near Hove. None of my friends live near the ground, there is always another window on the train as you go past. I'm not sure what the purpose will be of returning there. It's no great inconvenience to avoid it, so I think I probably always will.

This. ABSOLUTELY this!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i might bring myself to go there, if there are no other alternatives, once Falmer is finish. i have to say going to Tunbridge Wells for DFS has proven very torturous and the missus was very understanding about the reasons. im not kids would understand not going to Toys'r'us so much ;)

will never go to Focus though. ever. i dont care if he doesnt own it anymore, its still represents Archer to me.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
We've got a lovely new stadium, a really lovely stadium, no debts and an exciting future. Bill Archer had an eye-patch the last time I saw a photo of him. Who's the winner?

Great response.

I refused to go past for years and when someone accidently took a wrong turning at the lights and we headed towards it, I took my glasses off and looked the other way. Like Herr T, I did the Hove Park Run and realised I could look that way and we are in a much better place now.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I will never shop there ,ever! But as someone else said , it's not actually the retailers fault. That is why I used to drive all the way to Portsmouth just to go to Toys'R'Us when my kids were younger . They knew there was one only down the road , so their look of bewilderment at there deluded Dad was countered with 'It will be a good day out ' and 'Get used to it , because there are certain things that happen in life which makes it wrong to shop there' ....It worked , they are older now and have never questioned it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports