Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To someone who hasn't been able to see many matches this season

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ince for KLL ?? That had us all scratching our heads. As someone has already said, what is the point of having March on the bench if you arent going to bring him on in the first half if things go wrong with your other wingers. Sami doesnt tend to use more than two subs Ive noticed.... and given that we are always seemingly needing a goal toward the end of games, seems to suggest he doesnt know what else to do but "hope" ...
Yeah was baffled by that as an attacking player was inevitable surely?
You can clearly see the management team are clueless and need to be sacked asap

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just goes to show how good oscar garcia was...He loved attacking football,but didn't have the options and stuck to a system that played to our strengths and boy o boy we had an injury list never seen before at the club.

Very smart man and very much liked by many:clap2:

He would've loved this squad now

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It could be argued that he's not getting the best out of the players, but for me it's more to do with the loss of some big characters who were ever-present in our side and features of our personality. In a period of change, when players were being bought and thrown in often before or without the consent of Hyypia, we're without leaders and a real spine. The players of the squad before had a glowing confidence in the experience and strength of our pole in goal, of Upson, of Ward for the season, of Bridcutt before he jumped, and Ulloa who gave and gave. These are leaders we're a long way from replacing. Ok, a now more slimline Stockdale could allow us faith soon, considering he personally has lost us a number of points this term, and he seems a character, but there's a lot missing in the squad and it is very hard to come by.

I think it's a pity we still have Nathan Jones as our number 2, considering he's not the most experienced and certainly not the sort of big name that players automatically listen to. It proves that pre-season was a hotchpotch of rash and unstructured decisions, and that has had consequences on us for quite a spell.

I think the January window will be make or break for Hyypia. After that it will be very much his team, and if they can't then put enough chances away and hold on to a lead, then his time will be up. For now, though, we're not on the final steps of the escalator to disaster.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Oscar love in is so funny as it wasn't evident just a couple of months ago.
Then apparently winning 1-0 was sooooo boring.

Sami and the league position is making it very easy to be critical but:-

- He's reigned in the marauding full backs.
- Defensively we can look rock solid but be keen to attack.
- We played 3 different formations in the Spurs, Bournemouth and Blackburn games.
Sure none of them worked, :lol: But we aren't one dimensional.
- He's having to cope with an appalling strike force, that I'm sure the club hierarchy didn't expect to look so abject.
- We've not be out played.
- On the rare occasions we have looked good, we have looked very good.

Not positives but:-
- The players have shot themselves in the foot so so so many times.
- We keep conceding worldie goals from players who have never and wont ever score the like of again.
- No luck. Take yesterday, It was only a matter of time before Kaz and Bennett created quality chances down their right, then Kaz gets injured.
- We seem unable to get all the parts of the team to play to there strengths at the same time.

Just to prove I've not completely lost my mind:-
- Centre midfield is appalling and showing no sign of getting better.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It could be argued that he's not getting the best out of the players, but for me it's more to do with the loss of some big characters who were ever-present in our side and features of our personality. In a period of change, when players were being bought and thrown in often before or without the consent of Hyypia, we're without leaders and a real spine. The players of the squad before had a glowing confidence in the experience and strength of our pole in goal, of Upson, of Ward for the season, of Bridcutt before he jumped, and Ulloa who gave and gave. These are leaders we're a long way from replacing. Ok, a now more slimline Stockdale could allow us faith soon, considering he personally has lost us a number of points this term, and he seems a character, but there's a lot missing in the squad and it is very hard to come by.

I think it's a pity we still have Nathan Jones as our number 2, considering he's not the most experienced and certainly not the sort of big name that players automatically listen to. It proves that pre-season was a hotchpotch of rash and unstructured decisions, and that has had consequences on us for quite a spell.

I think the January window will be make or break for Hyypia. After that it will be very much his team, and if they can't then put enough chances away and hold on to a lead, then his time will be up. For now, though, we're not on the final steps of the escalator to disaster.

absolutely spot on
I can't get to matches physically or money wise, but as I have said before Sami is the scapegoat here, he is being blamed for things out of his control.
wrong players, wrong assistant manager,wasted money on round pegs trying to fit into square holes and it does now seem Sami cannot right things and will go on his own accord rather than be sacked and cost the club money (where have I heard that before.)
the upper management have caused this and yes its a steep learning curve, but its not them taking any blame.
its time to do something drastic before its to late they are sleepwalking the Albion into the 1st division and sitting on their hands.
if the playing side is going wrong either get rid or bring someone in the oversee the team management, it has to be done quickly though before the stench of relegation becomes to much.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Would you risk giving him that long and spending more money? I would sack now and get a new guy in to assess the team before Jan window opens. We might not be on the escalator of disaster, but we are standing very close to it maybe even grasping the hand rail.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Would you risk giving him that long and spending more money? I would sack now and get a new guy in to assess the team before Jan window opens. We might not be on the escalator of disaster, but we are standing very close to it maybe even grasping the hand rail.

Yes i would. I don't think he's really spent much yet has he? It seems as if someone else has. We seem to be a nation of constantly doom-laden panickers at the minute, and i don't really want to be a member of that gang. At least not when it comes to calling for someone's head or abusing them when they trip at the first couple of hurdles. He's not Satan or Nick Cotton or Transfer from Around the World with Willy Fog, so he has more time from me to prove himself, if that matters at all.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Yes i would. I don't think he's really spent much yet has he? It seems as if someone else has. We seem to be a nation of constantly doom-laden panickers at the minute, and i don't really want to be a member of that gang. At least not when it comes to calling for someone's head or abusing them when they trip at the first couple of hurdles. He's not Satan or Nick Cotton or Transfer from Around the World with Willy Fog, so he has more time from me to prove himself, if that matters at all.

I don't agree with abusing him, I just think that time is one thing we/he doesn't have. I don't see him turning this around I am afraid. It was a risky appointment in my opinion and this hasn't paid off. I am not a doom monger, and it wont be the end of the world if we get relegated. However, I think change in this case would be a good thing.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just goes to show how good oscar garcia was...He loved attacking football,but didn't have the options and stuck to a system that played to our strengths and boy o boy we had an injury list never seen before at the club.

Very smart man and very much liked by many:clap2:

He would've loved this squad now

Well he is looking for a job!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Hyypia just doesn't seem to have the tactical brain to win games, he's getting out thought by every other manager, he can't coach the team or switch tactics to be able to hang onto a lead and he hasn't got the bottle to go for it when we're chasing a game hence Baldock remaining on the bench yesterday rather than being thrown on up top with Bent. Hyypia is out of his depth trying to manage a team.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We're not a bad side, the tactics aren't what I'd do but we do create chances. No one has given us a hiding yet. BUT at every crunch moment this season we melt away. It seems we have no self belief and I have to think the responsibility for this lies with the manager.

I've not known a more frustrating team to watch.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I think Bloom will, though.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The Oscar love in is so funny as it wasn't evident just a couple of months ago.
Then apparently winning 1-0 was sooooo boring.

Sami and the league position is making it very easy to be critical but:-

- He's reigned in the marauding full backs.
- Defensively we can look rock solid but be keen to attack.
- We played 3 different formations in the Spurs, Bournemouth and Blackburn games.
Sure none of them worked, :lol: But we aren't one dimensional.
- He's having to cope with an appalling strike force, that I'm sure the club hierarchy didn't expect to look so abject.
- We've not be out played.
- On the rare occasions we have looked good, we have looked very good.

Not positives but:-
- The players have shot themselves in the foot so so so many times.
- We keep conceding worldie goals from players who have never and wont ever score the like of again.
- No luck. Take yesterday, It was only a matter of time before Kaz and Bennett created quality chances down their right, then Kaz gets injured.
- We seem unable to get all the parts of the team to play to there strengths at the same time.

Just to prove I've not completely lost my mind:-
- Centre midfield is appalling and showing no sign of getting better.

I think your post is really good and I agree with a lot of it. SH should have changed it when they equalised as everyone could see the midfield had lost its mind, Holla should have come on and Baldock when we were 2-1 down, take off a defender have a real go? That's why I think SH has to go he looked like a dead man walking. Hindsight it a wonderful thing and a OG 1-0 home win was what we needed yesterday. As for luck SH has none. The header from bent is a goal another day and we seem to be finding keepers in amazing form a la Marshall at Cardiff and plently of others.... however sometimes your luck runs out and for me SH's has.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think your post is really good and I agree with a lot of it. SH should have changed it when they equalised as everyone could see the midfield had lost its mind, Holla should have come on and Baldock when we were 2-1 down, take off a defender have a real go? That's why I think SH has to go he looked like a dead man walking. Hindsight it a wonderful thing and a OG 1-0 home win was what we needed yesterday. As for luck SH has none. The header from bent is a goal another day and we seem to be finding keepers in amazing form a la Marshall at Cardiff and plently of others.... however sometimes your luck runs out and for me SH's has.
Not only Bent headering the ball onto the keepers ankle, but also Dunk managing to kick the over the bar from a foot out.
As said, no luck.

Fulham created nothing, our defence looked rock solid, we should have been 3-0 up on 50 mins.
As it is, the moment we went 1-0 up, the defence looked like 4 strangers and we didn't create another chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
.....and that really is unlucky!
No you're quite right, that's not unlikely that's wee-wee poor.

I guess the logical conclusion of my point is, sadly:-

our defence would have capitulated half an hour earlier.
Not
we'd have been 3-0 up before they even got a sniff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here