Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To date, who is Brighton's greatest manager?

To date, who is Brighton's greatest manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who got us our highest ever finish? Potter.

My vote may go elsewhere at the end of this season.

Football is a results business.

Who was my favourite manager? Pat Seward, perhaps. No money but it was fun. Noble, even. Albeit Peter Taylor mark 1 was immense.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I went Mullery because he was the first to get us to the top. But, as other have said, Taylor deserves a lot of credit as well.
However, Gritt in that half a season or so managed something special and incredible. So perhaps he performed the greatest feat.
And if Smith had scored, maybe Jimmy would be considered our greatest 😁

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only experienced two so far and one of them haven't even been around for a full season, so its a walk-over win for Graham.

Surely the bloke who managed the team for 28 years should be there as an option though?
Hard to argue against the sea change in style he brought. As I’m a being entertained over any quality of football as long as we win type I enjoyed pretty well all his tenure as we always tried to play football, even if the winless runs were frustrating. The way he left tarnishes it all though for me

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I went Mullery because he was the first to get us to the top. But, as other have said, Taylor deserves a lot of credit as well.
However, Gritt, for in that half a season or so managed something special and incredible. So perhaps he performed the greatest feat.
And if Smith had scored, maybe Jimmy would be considered our greatest 😁
Russell Slade too, was an incredible, almost impossible great escape.... Lloyd Owesu :bowdown:

Thought Bloom firing him was as a bit harsh at the time, but then the Lizard went out and got Poyet who was also fantastic at first.

Who was there at the 3-0 away at Peterborough under Gus, it was unbelievable stuff, walked out of London road buzzing at my club playing like that!

What a season that was....... hey Nige!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hard to argue against the sea change in style he brought. As I’m a being entertained over any quality of football as long as we win type I enjoyed pretty well all his tenure as we always tried to play football, even if the winless runs were frustrating. The way he left tarnishes it all though for me
Its one of not too many areas where getting sacked will make people have a better memory of you than if you were poached.

Don't know who you voted for in the end, but I do know that whoever it was, he would have accepted a £50m contract from anyone willing to offer it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's Hughton for me. There was a time when Poyet's glass ceiling looked exactly that, and under the dark days of Hyypia it seemed as though our bubble had burst. Hughton came in and changed all that.
The way he built that squad into a real force, bringing back Zamora, Sidwell, Murray, the Dunk 'n' Duffy pairing. He took to the Promised Land and got us through that difficult first couple of seasons when you just need to get a foothold. What a journey.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Went for Houghton, as much as his final season with us was painful to watch.

What he did in terms of righting the ship after the Hyppia disaster before getting us promoted is undeniable and he had us playing some fantastic football to watch in the Championship where we were just going into games expecting to win with ease.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Charlie Webb . 28 years our manager !!!
And 40 years with us if you include his time as a player.

Our first international player. Got banned by the FA for turning out with us while an amateur. Played every game when we won the Southern League. Scored the winner in the Charity Shield.

As a manager, got the club going again after the first world war (straight from being a POW). Helped rebuild the Goldstone, literally. Rebuilt the team from scratch into a pretty good team with basically 2 bob n six. Oh and kept the club alive through the whole second world war too.

Apparently he used to take the Saturday gate money home in an old tin so he could bank it on the Monday.

Albion legend.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wot, no Bazza Lloyd?

:moo:

Hughton, for me. Turned the team around, got the club to the promised land and kept them there. Top bloke, too!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think De Zerbi has been in the post long enough to be a valid option. He hasn't either started or ended a season with us yet, and our cup-run is unfinished.

So Hughton.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mike Bailey, defensive football at its best.
50 back passes to the keeper in the first half alone at Old Trafford, and prior to Potter guided us to our highest ever league finish.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The answer is Hughton. Took over the team at a tipping point when we could have easily slid into League 1 oblivion and instead built a side that stormed the Championship. The fact he also kept us in the PL with a (let’s be honest) decent Championship squad, just adds to his achievement.

I’d also like to add, in terms of greatness, Hughton is also a great person. And how often do you hear that in football?

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I went Micky Adams just because that promotion in 2001 feels like it was the start of the journey to where we are now.

I can't really rationalise it but I loved that team, Cullip, Oatway, Rogers, Jones, Kuipers etc. and of course Zamora. It just felt like we had a future after a few years of purgatory.

Mullery very close.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I went Micky Adams just because that promotion in 2001 feels like it was the start of the journey to where we are now.

I can't really rationalise it but I loved that team, Cullip, Oatway, Rogers, Jones, Kuipers etc. and of course Zamora. It just felt like we had a future after a few years of purgatory.

Mullery very close.
Whilst not taking away his achievements he always struck me as a bit of a prat using us as a stepping stone. Never felt he “got“ the Albion but did a great job as he eyed a better job. Peter Taylor was much more likeable and completed the job Adams walked away from and he has my utmost respect for his walking away when he knew we’d reached a ceiling leaving the close season for DK to find a replacement

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Has to be Potter for me as he turned us around in to a confident difficult to beat and tidy side to watch. If Roberto can keep it going next season he may surpass him, I worry about his belly fire might get the better of him in the changing room. Let's hope not, we are in Albion Dreamland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here