Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - Staying Up Tracker - 2020/21 - Game 38 Update - 1 OVER

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
34 points would breeze it this year IMHO

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
6 from the next 2 games is a tall order (though doable), but on the flipside we'll get more than the expected 2 points from West Brom, Leicester and Soton IMO.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Quick update of the full league after the latest round of games which put Palace below us due to losing at Leeds :) . I mean, who doesn't beat Leeds these days :)

Attachments

• NSC Others 23.png
    NSC Others 23.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 258

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Quick update of the full league after the latest round of games which put Palace below us due to losing at Leeds :) . I mean, who doesn't beat Leeds these days :)

I love this table. In some ways more than the graph itself. Whilst the graph is brilliant in how it shows how we are doing, the table is one of only two (The other being the excellent "the other14" on twitter) that clearly shows how we are doing in relation to our rivals. I think all through this season it has consistently shown us as being OK despite our apparent precarious position in the actual table. It takes out all the games in hand malarkey and gives a real perspective on the overall position we are all in.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For a comparison - our 4 seasons after game 22 :

17/18 - 12th - 23 points (game 22 was a home 2-2 draw with Bournemouth)
18/19 - 13th - 26 points (game 22 was a home 1-0 defeat to Liverpool)
19/20 - 14th - 24 points (game 22 was a 1-0 defeat at Everton (A))
20/21 - 15th - 24 points

After Game 23:
17/18 - 15th - 23 points (17 points from last 15 games)
18/19 - 13th - 26 points (10 points from last 15 games)
19/20 - 15th - 25 points (16 points from last 15 games)
20/21 - 15th - 25 points ( ??)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Going to be nip and tuck between us and Palace this season.

Sporting Index have us 0.5pts ahead of Palace at the moment on 44pts at the end of the season. Remarkably similar to the tracker.

Biggest discrepancy between spreads and tracker is West Brom. You can buy WBA points at just 24 while the Tracker has them on target for 31...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I love this table. In some ways more than the graph itself. Whilst the graph is brilliant in how it shows how we are doing, the table is one of only two (The other being the excellent "the other14" on twitter) that clearly shows how we are doing in relation to our rivals. I think all through this season it has consistently shown us as being OK despite our apparent precarious position in the actual table. It takes out all the games in hand malarkey and gives a real perspective on the overall position we are all in.

Oh, me too. I think the Tracker becomes increasingly less relevant as you enter the last third of the season, certainly in terms of being a 'Staying Up Tracker'. The survival total has been way below the 40 points of the Tracker in each of our first three seasons, and my prediction is that it'll be even lower for this one. I'd be extremely confident once we've got to 32 points, but suspect that 30 will be enough. So just 5 short, with 15 games to go. The games against the likes of Newcastle, Palace and Wolves may well prove pivotal in how we finish as direct comparisons/competitors, rather than being key in terms of survival.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
After Game 23:
17/18 - 15th - 23 points (17 points from last 15 games)
18/19 - 13th - 26 points (10 points from last 15 games)
19/20 - 15th - 25 points (16 points from last 15 games)
20/21 - 15th - 25 points ( ??)

So matching that terrible (still shudder when I think of the Bournemouth game) run in Hughton's last season would get us to 35 points. Feels like we should be able to do that.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just alighted on a new metric (well, new to me - but it seems it's been around for donkeys years): "Passes per defensive action" (PPDA)...it measures the average number of passes you allow the opposition (in their half) before you win the ball back. In other words, it measures how effectively you press. The one drawback of the table below is that Leeds are top, but on the plus side it shows that we're a top 10 team, which Tony will like! Another one of those stats which seems to indicate that we're headed in the right direction.

Premier-League_2020_2021_team_season_ppda.png

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, we're getting better at the press. Interesting to see that the ageing lot at Palace are flirting with relegation in this category. Can't be too long before it's translated into the real thing. I think most of their squad is up for contract renewal in the next 18 months. I doubt that level of turnover would be a good thing.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Just alighted on a new metric (well, new to me - but it seems it's been around for donkeys years): "Passes per defensive action" (PPDA)...it measures the average number of passes you allow the opposition (in their half) before you win the ball back. In other words, it measures how effectively you press. The one drawback of the table below is that Leeds are top, but on the plus side it shows that we're a top 10 team, which Tony will like! Another one of those stats which seems to indicate that we're headed in the right direction.

View attachment 133613

The analysis on pressing and how teams respond to it is really interesting. No surprise to see Leeds top, high press is an obsession for Biesla. It’s also noticeable that we are getting much better at evading the press as well. Bissouma and Alzate have really worked on this and apparently Caicedo and Karbownik have the potential to excel here as well.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So matching that terrible (still shudder when I think of the Bournemouth game) run in Hughton's last season would get us to 35 points. Feels like we should be able to do that.

Actually it was 11 points from the last 15 - which took us to 36 points in 2018/19. My bad maths.
but yep. 36 should be enough this year.
It was P15, W2, D4, L9 in the 18/19 run in.

In our first 15 games this season it was
P15, W2, D7, L6 so only 13 points

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I make it 10 pts for the last 15 in 18/19.

It was 10 points but it took us to 36 . And i think i had us at 25 by game 23 when it should be 26!. Someone should sub my posts!!
Either way...we're on track - even with a dreadful run in as bad as 18/19 - to keep our heads above water.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

View attachment 133613

It is interesting, especially where you have teams like Leeds and then ourselves bucking the trend of the league table which generally stacks up that the greater the press is the higher in the league you will be. West Ham also bucking this trend the other way.

Not surprised to see "lazy" teams like West Brom, Newcastle and Palace occupying some of the low spots.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having glanced at the thread about Newcastle and Callum Wilson's injury, I wondered how well the bottom three had to do in the remaining games in order to reach the magic 38 points.
Sheffield United need 1.8 points per game, WBA 1.73 and Fulham 1.44. This means that the bottom two now need to gain points at a rate that, if sustained across the season, would probably see them in a Champions League spot. Fulham would have to get points at the same rate that Sheffield United did to finish ninth last year.

Given that every team above is currently averaging at least the point a game needed to reach 38 and that Burnley only need to match what Aston Villa got to finish 18th last season and Newcastle and Brighton would reach the target if they perform at the rate that 19th placed Watford did over 2019/20, it is looking very very bad for the bottom three sides.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having glanced at the thread about Newcastle and Callum Wilson's injury, I wondered how well the bottom three had to do in the remaining games in order to reach the magic 38 points.
Sheffield United need 1.8 points per game, WBA 1.73 and Fulham 1.44. This means that the bottom two now need to gain points at a rate that, if sustained across the season, would probably see them in a Champions League spot. Fulham would have to get points at the same rate that Sheffield United did to finish ninth last year.

Given that every team above is currently averaging at least the point a game needed to reach 38 and that Burnley only need to match what Aston Villa got to finish 18th last season and Newcastle and Brighton would reach the target if they perform at the rate that 19th placed Watford did over 2019/20, it is looking very very bad for the bottom three sides.

I've said it before, I'll be supremely confident if we get to 32 points (ie 7 away), but would be surprised if the current bottom 3 get into the 30s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here