Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tips for moving abroad

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Some pretty sensible advice has been heading your way. Certainly rent first & don;t sell up in the UK. After 6 months you need to change your car onto Spanish plates so you need to be registered on the padron. You need a Spanish bank account and NIE number [Spanish tax number] without it you will have problems. Don't live on the coast or else the NSC users will assume you are spending all day eating full breakfasts, drinking John Smiths and walking around stripped to the waist flashing your tattos. Inland Spain is one of the most beautiful countries [second most mountainous] in Europe. Health care, unless you take a job with an official contract you will not be in the system. If you become self employed you need to pay autonomo each month to be eligible for state health care. If none of these apply you may have to prove to the authorities you have enough income and private health care to live in the country. They do not take kindly to people producing an EHIC card time after time at the health centres! However if you are in the system, as we are, it is so efficient.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Don't do it. It's a long way to go for home games.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you want the real Spain, very traditional, very laid back, totally different from the Costas with very few Brits, let me know. But probably won't be any good unless you can work from home.

I understand where you're coming from mate but I kind of need to be close to Gibraltar just in case I need a job.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Moved here 12 years ago about the same age, love it. Miss friends and family but when we do see them have real quality time. Advice is difficult as so much depends on circumstances. Looking back to when we moved over we would have been better off renting our house in UK and then renting here instead of buying. Where are you moving to? As others have suggested you have to learn the language and speak to your neighbours they really appreciate you trying and are incredibly freindly. Good luck

Thanks, advice like this will definitely help. I will make learning the language my first priority. I am moving to the area around Benalmadena. I know it's knee deep in British culture but I just love Puerto Marina.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Take a good stack of things you love. My Brother lives in the USA and is forever naging me to send him PG Tips and Hobnobs.

Oh FFS B-right-on's bro. :annoyed:

I live in the middle of nowhere on an island in the middle of the Pacific 11 times zones away, I am a rubbish shopper, and even I have tracked down a local purveyor of the noble PG tip. I think the bro is scamming you 'coz he don't wanna pay $7.50 a box.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Make sure you call your self and ex pat not a migrant/immigrant.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I'm off to new Zealand in October had medicals yesterday ! not sure I've quite got my head round it yet . will miss my Saturdays with my mates at the albion but you have to look at the bigger picture . we are going to sell our house as we think it will help us integrate better if you know there is no coming back

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Would any of you guys that now live in Spain move back?[/QUOTE

Financially impossible so no, but if I won the lottery, not sure. Do miss Albion, grandkids and kids in that order . (Only joking SeagullSi).

When I retire and can get back to the UK longer and more often probably wont miss them as much.

One other bit of advice buy a left hand drive car, incredibly dangerous overtaking on single carriage road in UK car.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I just did. But only to be nearer my kids and ever-growing number of grandchildren. I still go back every six weeks or so

Grandchildren and pressure from the wife is one good reason for moving back as is ill health or old age in my experience.

However it is a fantastic experience and if you feel the need to go you should at least give it a try. Totally different lifestyle as long as you avoid big cities.

The responses from those who live abroad on this thread should encourage the OP

I'm off to new Zealand in October had medicals yesterday ! not sure I've quite got my head round it yet . will miss my Saturdays with my mates at the albion but you have to look at the bigger picture . we are going to sell our house as we think it will help us integrate better if you know there is no coming back
Wow, good luck dannyboy. I love New Zealand and have very fond memories of my travels out there. Where are you moving to ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Advice is difficult as so much depends on circumstances. Looking back to when we moved over we would have been better off renting our house in UK and then renting here instead of buying.

Absolutely THIS. In-laws have just moved to Cyprus and they planned to sell up completely and buy there. After a lot of pushing, they sold up and brought a flat in Worthing. They ended up with £200k in the bank and the rent on the flat more than pays their Cyprus rent and living costs. If anything goes to ratshit they will always be able to come back here. NEVER burn that bridge.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Would any of you guys that now live in Spain move back?

No, I wouldn't want to move back to the UK however much I miss the football & real ale. The standard of life & pace of living is so much more laid back here plus it's so much cheaper to live. Both my son & daughter are UK resident but neither have produced offspring so there's not that grandchild pull that affects many. If you move into Benalmadena do PM me, I'm just behind you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here