[Misc] Tipping

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I tend to tip sexy ladies more money. So the moral is; Ladies, be sexy.

I read some research a few years back, psychologists studied strippers and their earnings, Apparently, ovulating strippers received tips higher than their average, and menstruating strippers got tips less than their average.
Apparently this study has been replicated numerous times, for some reason.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our local takeaway now let’s you add a tip on the app, I did it the first time and he was really thankful - so I now know he actually gets the money and do it each time. Restaurants I do now ask the waiting staff (in chain restaurants) if it is given to them. When I were a lad and worked as a waiter, I was told if it was on the table it went into shared kitty, if it was handed to you it was yours. What I hate is when I’m on overseas business trips and they insist on taking your bag to the room and you know you feel obliged to tip but the smallest note you have is the equivalent of £10 (probably their whole daily pay).

After 20+ years of very regular business travel (now thankfully over) I NEVER remembered to make sure I had a suitable tip for the bellboy. If I was lucky I’d have something from a previous trip (and even luckier I might have remembered to even bring it with me) otherwise it’d be the equivalent of tenners minimum from bloody Travelex at Heathrow because they NEVER had smaller notes. Probably cost me a fortune over the years [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My daughter reminded me about our New York tipping incident.

Took the family 10 years ago, after the Gatwick flight ended up going out late afternoon, should have eaten at the Albion friendly bar round the back of the Empire State Building but was overruled, ended up finally eating around 10.00pm their time, 3am ours, at TGIF's just near Times Square, the kids hit the wall they were literally falling asleep in their meals, Mrs H wasn't in the best of moods either, so I just got the bill and paid for the half eaten meal, but due to tiredness (and nagging) I forgot to tip, and the waiter virtually followed us right up to the restaurant door asking what the problem was, why hadn't we tipped, and stating he lived on his tips, at that I thrust whatever US notes I had in my pocket into his hand and left, I still to this day don't know what I gave him.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
boy..binmen/councils dont get me started. My cousin lives in a council where they have to put their rubbish in different bins . Theyve had three FINES in the last 12 months for (how dare they) putting non recyclable items (eg bottle tops) in the recycling bag. Also one of their neighbours bins was full so they asked permission to use my cousins and he agreed not thinking to check the contents. Week later another fine...so the only tip binmen can expect from out family is directions to their local one :)

If people don't make the effort with the easy stuff like bottle tops, they deserve the fines.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
This.......we get a delivery every 5 days or so on average. Pay £7 a month for it, as well as being more cost effective than actually going to the supermarket myself, it’s now very rare for the order to have anything substituted or missing, and they never supply short-dated stuff. In fact, the website indicates the use approx use-by date on perishables when you order. Paying the monthly sub also means much better access to delivery slots - never a problem getting one at a time that suits us (tend to have a couple of weeks booked in advance).

It’s a fantastic service.

Same here. There's just the two of us so the Tesco midweek delivery saver at about £3.50pm works for us. Great service and has been a godsend helping us keep away from supermarkets during covid. In over two years I don't think we've returned one short dated item.

As for tipping the delivery driver.... we don't as a rule. Would have at Christmas but we rarely have the same person so a bit tricky. Are they supposed to accept tips?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Had my first ever supermarket delivery last night (was waiting on the result of a covid test when we booked it, as thought we would be isolating for 10 days). Morrison was the only one we could get a slot. I certainly won’t ever be booking a second one.

Ordered 99 items, on Monday.

At 4pm on the day of the delivery they send an e-mail listing 8 things that will be missing, and a further 10 that they’ve substituted (almost all for a more expensive alternative, and in one case substituting an explicitly vegetarian product for a non-veggie alternative).

When the delivery arrived the (perfectly polite) driver explained that we can send back any substituted items - but they are randomly hidden amongst the 6 crates of goods. So he has to stand there for 10 minutes in the cold, while we empty the crates and search for these bits.

Then after he’s gone, we check through the rest, find two further items missing (that are listed as delivered), some limp lettuce, a bag of mouldy potatoes and two fresh loaves, both delivered at 9.30pm on the day of their best before date.

Epic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never seen you say that about nurses for instance?

No, you won’t. Nurses train for years. I value nurses more than Tesco delivery drivers. However, I recognise the import of both.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Had my first ever supermarket delivery last night (was waiting on the result of a covid test when we booked it, as thought we would be isolating for 10 days). Morrison was the only one we could get a slot. I certainly won’t ever be booking a second one.

At 4pm on the day of the delivery they send an e-mail listing 8 things that will be missing, and a further 10 that they’ve substituted (almost all for a more expensive alternative, and in one case substituting an explicitly vegetarian product for a non-veggie alternative).

When the delivery arrived the (perfectly polite) driver explained that we can send back any substituted items - but they are randomly hidden amongst the 6 crates of goods. So he has to stand there for 10 minutes in the cold, while we empty the crates and search for these bits.

Then after he’s gone, we check through the rest, find two further items missing (that are listed as delivered), some limp lettuce, a bag of mouldy potatoes and two fresh loaves, both delivered at 9.30pm on the day of their best before date.

Epic.

Try Tesco. We have had our shopping delivered for several years now. We do get things missing, but usually if you ask for a substitute a sensible one will be sent - the non-veg thing is an annoyance, agreed. TESCO DO NOT CHARGE ANY MORE MONEY FOR SUBSTITUTES - you pay the lower of the two prices.* In the several years of shopping we have only on a handful of occasions been unhappy with the quality/ shelf-life of products sent, and these have always been refunded in full, either handing back to the driver or by calling Tesco.

*Last year, I ordered 12 cans of some IPA on special offer at 50p each. They were out of stock, so instead Tesco substituted a 6 pack of Pistonhead IPA/Lager for each can. Yes, I received 72 cans of beer for £6.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My daughter reminded me about our New York tipping incident.

Took the family 10 years ago, after the Gatwick flight ended up going out late afternoon, should have eaten at the Albion friendly bar round the back of the Empire State Building but was overruled, ended up finally eating around 10.00pm their time, 3am ours, at TGIF's just near Times Square, the kids hit the wall they were literally falling asleep in their meals, Mrs H wasn't in the best of moods either, so I just got the bill and paid for the half eaten meal, but due to tiredness (and nagging) I forgot to tip, and the waiter virtually followed us right up to the restaurant door asking what the problem was, why hadn't we tipped, and stating he lived on his tips, at that I thrust whatever US notes I had in my pocket into his hand and left, I still to this day don't know what I gave him.

I’ve had a few tipping incidents. When I first moved here I confused a 1 with a 7 (if you have seen a handwritten 1 in Germany you’ll know I mean) and my 15% ended up as 35%. The wife immediately intervened as she spotted my mistake but I decided to give the tip as it seemed a bit shit to dangle and then take it back.

I have also failed to notice the tip included on the bill in numerous places including some fine dining gafs... and given a further tip resulting in a sizable sum. It also happened in Cin Cin when I was with the wife but the waitress pointed out the tip was included and refused my extra. My record for this was at The Harwood Arms in October.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Epic.

No tip then?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Tipping is a big part of American culture because the recipients have to rely on it for their income. It puts me off re visiting. Tesco delivery drivers in the UK are paid a wage and it wouldn’t even occur to me to tip them. Thankfully just not part of our culture. I don’t tip takeaway deliveries either. Do people really do that ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This.......we get a delivery every 5 days or so on average. Pay £7 a month for it, as well as being more cost effective than actually going to the supermarket myself, it’s now very rare for the order to have anything substituted or missing, and they never supply short-dated stuff. In fact, the website indicates the use approx use-by date on perishables when you order. Paying the monthly sub also means much better access to delivery slots - never a problem getting one at a time that suits us (tend to have a couple of weeks booked in advance).

It’s a fantastic service.

I must have been unlucky then. I used it for the first time over Christmas. It certainly wasn't a massive shop, I live on my own with the dog so had to top it up with booze to get over the £40 mark. I had 4 subs all of which were things that were on special offer so I got more expensive stuff. I had 2 not available one of which was dog food which I was desperate for. The loaf of bread I ordered was best before the next day. 4 chicken breasts had 2 days left.

Put me off and completely defeated the object of doing it as I had to go out and get food for the dog, low and behold there were plenty of alternatives available.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Epic.

To follow this up-

In fairness to Morrison’s I filled out the feedback form and they very quickly refunded all of the above items, which is fair of them.

Doesn’t alter the fact I’ve still got to go out and buy those things, though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I must have been unlucky then. I used it for the first time over Christmas. It certainly wasn't a massive shop, I live on my own with the dog so had to top it up with booze to get over the £40 mark. I had 4 subs all of which were things that were on special offer so I got more expensive stuff. I had 2 not available one of which was dog food which I was desperate for. The loaf of bread I ordered was best before the next day. 4 chicken breasts had 2 days left.

Put me off and completely defeated the object of doing it as I had to go out and get food for the dog, low and behold there were plenty of alternatives available.

What store ? We use Tesco. Basically anything you’re not happy with gets refunded and substitutions are charged at the lower of what they are or what you ordered. Never had an issue in probably 60/70 deliveries last year.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having worked part-time as a delivery driver up until a couple of years ago, I very, very rarely got a tip. It wasn't because I was rude or anything because I was frequently "mentioned in despatches". I had just one lady who tipped every time and would have been offended had I not taken it. This makes me think it is not the norm to tip a delivery driver.

Other than that we don't normally tip except in restaurants or similar if service not included. Will sometimes tip even if service is included. and would not tip at all unless it was deserved in some way.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
What store ? We use Tesco. Basically anything you’re not happy with gets refunded and substitutions are charged at the lower of what they are or what you ordered. Never had an issue in probably 60/70 deliveries last year.

Was Morrisons. Sounds like my experience was very similar to [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION]

To be honest its never really appealed as although I hate shopping its really not that much of a bind to go to the shop. At the moment aside from walking the dog its the only time I'm leaving the house!

We're spoilt for choice in Crowborough as we have Morrisons, Tesco, Waitrose, Lidl, Sainsburys Local and an M&S petrol station. Can understand how its useful for families but for me I don't have a regular shop and unless I'm buying booze (which I never did but am during lockdown) its very very rare for me to spend over the £40 they need you to spend (is that the same across the board or just Morrisons?). Aside from the same brand of sausages (which ironically was one of the substitutes when I did shop online!!) I shop completely ad-hoc.

That said I buy pretty much everything else online. Couldn't tell you pre covid times the last time I went into a clothes shop and I dread to think how much money I spend annually with Amazon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was Morrisons. Sounds like my experience was very similar to [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION]

To be honest its never really appealed as although I hate shopping its really not that much of a bind to go to the shop. At the moment aside from walking the dog its the only time I'm leaving the house!

We're spoilt for choice in Crowborough as we have Morrisons, Tesco, Waitrose, Lidl, Sainsburys Local and an M&S petrol station. Can understand how its useful for families but for me I don't have a regular shop and unless I'm buying booze (which I never did but am during lockdown) its very very rare for me to spend over the £40 they need you to spend (is that the same across the board or just Morrisons?). Aside from the same brand of sausages (which ironically was one of the substitutes when I did shop online!!) I shop completely ad-hoc.

That said I buy pretty much everything else online. Couldn't tell you pre covid times the last time I went into a clothes shop and I dread to think how much money I spend annually with Amazon.

Does sound like a bit of an issue with Morrisons. Iceland are a bit crap as well.

I used to think the same, never actually minded doing the shopping as I do most of the cooking and like to browse around for ideas, but we moved to deliveries because of the number of morons in the supermarket that don’t distance. Got completely used to it so have just carried on.......with 3-4 of us here much of the time and 5 days between orders £40 is easily hit - any time it wasn’t I’d just add a nice bottle of red or two [emoji23][emoji23]

Still use the local co-op a few mins away for odds and ends, fresh bread etc and God knows how much I’ve spent on Amazon in the last few months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports