Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Tipping

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don’t even tip taxi drivers now, they’re ****ing useless in Brighton. Morons who don’t know one end of Brighton from the other. A d charge a fortune. Uber should eat them alive.

I assume you've conveyed this opinion to HT when out to dinner with him ? :whistle:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I tip restaurant staff (after quietly checking they genuinely get the tip), my barber, taxi drivers and when we leave a hotel both the room cleaners and other staff.

The custom of tipping bar staff seems to have disappeared. In the 70’s my Dad used to add the old “and one for yourself” every other round.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
We've never had a supermarket delivery. Wouldn't know how to go about getting stuff delivered from a supermarket and wouldn't trust them not to send us all the short dated stuff.

I always used to pay a takeaway delivery driver - when we paid in cash. It would usually just be a "keep the change" and if it wasn't at least £2 I'd find dome extra coins to give them. Unfortunately now you even have to do this order and pay online thing with a card, so if we don't have any coins knocking about then they don't get a tip.

Haven't tipped the bin men since the whole wheelie bins thing was introduced. I grew up in a basement flat and the bin was a round black thing with a lid that lived at the bottom of the steps. Bin man would walk down, chuck it over his shoulder, empty it, put the lid back on and put it back where he found it. That deserved a tip - and a Christmas gift. These lazy ****ers that can't even manage one step, and then you have to wonder around the street for 10 mins looking for your bin in the evening can quite frankly **** off. Lazy ********. And that's before you get me on the subject of strikes.

Have always been brought up to tip 10% in restaurants, howver more and more places now you have to walk up and down to the bar from your table to order food and drinks. I even went in somewhere recently where i asked a staff member for cutlery and was pointed towards a table in the corner where i had to get my own. Again, any place like this can do one if they think I'm going to tip. Tip for what exactly?

I will tip for the rare restaurant where a fit waitress in a short skirt comes over, takes my order, delivers my food, asks how it is, if i would like another drink etc, and then brings me a bill without a service charge.

Simples.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You could apply that rationale to absolutely every service - they are paid, either directly or indirectly by you, for providing that service so why tip anyone ever?

We've never had a supermarket delivery so I can't answer from experience, but it doesn't feel like the kind of thing I'd tip for.

We had our first ever Just Eat order last week and I was mortified when I realised, a couple of minutes after taking the food in, that in my haste I'd not tipped. That said, the order was over 30 minutes later than JE said it was going to be when I placed it - they seemed to be stuck at the "finding a driver" stage for a very long time - so I didn't feel like I'd received a particularly good service anyway.

In this case though, there is an itemised element to the service specifically catering for the delivery and receipt of goods.
The same will be true for Just eat (in many cases).

Tipping a takeaway delivery driver, because they offer a free delivery service and it has made your life a little easier.
I think that's fair enough. You are effectively paying someone for a service you are getting for free.

When you have already paid for the added convenience, then what are you tipping for?
I couldn't qualify what i would consider to be good or bad service in this case.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My son is currently a delivery driver for Morrison’s whilst his usual work is not available (he’s a musician).

He gets the very occasional tip but not many.

If he spun me a tune after he let go of my parcel I’d tip him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In this case though, there is an itemised element to the service specifically catering for the delivery and receipt of goods.
The same will be true for Just eat (in many cases).

Tipping a takeaway delivery driver, because they offer a free delivery service and it has made your life a little easier.
I think that's fair enough. You are effectively paying someone for a service you are getting for free.

When you have already paid for the added convenience, then what are you tipping for?
I couldn't qualify what i would consider to be good or bad service in this case.

Whether it's itemised or not, it doesn't really make any material difference does it - you have still paid for that element of the service regardless. It feels more like a psychological thing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I tip restaurant staff (after quietly checking they genuinely get the tip), my barber, taxi drivers and when we leave a hotel both the room cleaners and other staff.

The custom of tipping bar staff seems to have disappeared. In the 70’s my Dad used to add the old “and one for yourself” every other round.

You've reminded me I always tipped hotel staff when travelling, it's been a very long time since I have!!

My dad also used to add "one for yourself" on his first round in the local. Was still doing this when I went for a drink and a game of darts with him on Sunday lunchtimes in the late 80s / early 90s.

These days would be over a fiver a round :eek:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't blame people paying JustEat / Deliveroo people. Given they can barely make minimum wage as it is, they do need the help.

Never crossed my mind to tip supermarket delivery drivers

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
My son is currently a delivery driver for Morrison’s whilst his usual work is not available (he’s a musician).

A sign of the times. My sister had her Tesco order delivered by an EasyJet pilot the other day.

I did have to ask how he managed to get the Airbus down her narrow street...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tip in restaurants, cabs, hairdressers, bars and the Deliveroo guy as he has to climb 8 flights of steps. The Frau and I have big disagreements about this latter tip; my view is it’s a brutal job and he/she gets 10% with 5 euros minimum. Bin men and post no as I never see them and it’s all communal in the apartment block anyway. Never ever had the need for the “big shop” and therefore never ever used supermarket home delivery but I imagine I would tip.

I also tip , or “recognize”, anyone who has helped me or done a good job for me. I bought a lawyer a case of wine and similar with a building finance guy who very recently went beyond his regular duty. The lawyer involved in this latter project will also get suitably recognized.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Something nice and light to debate whilst the American Civil War rages.

Tesco on line man turned up the other night, delivering at 8.15pm on a Sunday, Amy does all the on line shopping, but I helped both her and the driver unload the order.

At the end she naturally said thank you and then shut the door, I commented that she didn’t tip him, she’s thinks nothing of tipping, any number of takeaway delivery drivers but not the man from Tesco?

Surely tipping should extend to everyone who knocks the door bringing goods and services?

Do NSCers in general tip the Postie and the Binmen?

Postman tipping discussed last month ...hope this helps

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...Your-Postie-a-Christmas-Tip&highlight=Tipping

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Tip them if they go above and beyond what is their normal job but if just carrying out what they should be (or in many cases the bare minimum) then no.

Tipping should never be an automatic response it should be a personal reward for that something extra.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tipping should never be an automatic response it should be a personal reward for that something extra.

I think it depends on the job. Bar and restaurant staff should be automatic imho. Ditto Deliveroo bike riders.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There is already a charge for the delivery itself, so a tip is just adding to the overall cost of the order.

If the service was being run by a small business and the delivery elemenet of the service was giving me something for free, which was specifically valuable for me, then sure I'd tip.
But giving a tesco's employee some of my cash for doing exactly what they are paid for (which I have already paid for) I don't understand why anyone would.

I do fully get this point of view. But do you then tip your postman at Xmas or other delivery drivers? They're also being paid for what they're doing... Where do you draw the line and why?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t like tipping. Sometimes I get given a tenner or a twenty for working in someone’s house.

It makes me feel awkward.

I mean I’m already overcharging them as it is.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have some customers who begrudgingly pay the right amount let alone a tip to one lady who consistently gives me £100 on top of the invoiced amount :shrug: when my 18yr old daughter comes to work with me she regularly picks up a tips for basically carrying tools and running to the van to get bits, piss take :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember when dustmen forced their way through overgrown back alleys to pick up heavy, stinking metal dustbins - and in my case half filled with rubble from work - so I did used to keep a extra fiver in my wallet just in case I bumped into then at the end of the alley at 7.05 a.m.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A sign of the times. My sister had her Tesco order delivered by an EasyJet pilot the other day.

I did have to ask how he managed to get the Airbus down her narrow street...

Surely all you need is an old hi viz, some 1970s headphones and a couple of ping pong bats? :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here