[Food] Tipping

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My daughter worked at a restaurant in Bath during her University days and the tips really helped her out.

My daughter worked at a restaurant at Alton Towers during her Uni days. Not only did she get just about zero in the way of tips, but just about every second family of chavs tried to manufacture a complaint that they hoped would get them a big discount on the bill. Still, valuable life lesson learnt for my girl. Chavs Is Chavs Forever.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Never understood the argument about waiting staff being young and starting out in the world needing tips. Nor minimum wage argument. Plenty of people other than waiting are in these categories and don’t get tips. Most us started out in lower paid jobs when we were younger and progressed.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
That's because most payment is on card now. These tips need to be counted, separated, taxed and then paid into peoples wages. When everyone paid cash, it was a much more straight forward process that didn't go by the tax man!

Agreed, I travel a fair amount on business in the UK mostly and pay on my company card. It is almost impossible to add a tip in these circumstances.

Recently I had to ask for an additional fictitious amount to be added to leave a gratuity. Maybe I'm tight but why should I pay (personally) to tip when it is allowed within our company travel policy? I'm sure the staff know we are business travellers.

If I'm eating out socially I will almost always leave something and as others have stated more than 10% if the service has been memorable. I'm not counting a cursory return to the table to check "Is everything OK with your meal?" but rather more attentive behaviour.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Never understood the argument about waiting staff being young and starting out in the world needing tips. Nor minimum wage argument. Plenty of people other than waiting are in these categories and don’t get tips. Most us started out in lower paid jobs when we were younger and progressed.

odd isnt it, especially as the practice holds down wages

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I know of a very popular independent restaurant in Brighton that adds 10% service charge to every bill but this is not passed on to the staff. Staff turn over is high and service is bad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disappointing. I was hoping this thread would be about where to lose six empty paint tins and an old mattress without atrracting the attentions of The Filth.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Minimum 10%. Fortunately myself and Mrs DFP have both worked in the catering/service industry so appreciate that the tips make up for the shite and unsociable hours.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Always tip 10 to 15%.

But this month did a 0% at an Italian in Hove. In a near empty restaurant, we had to do all the chasing to request desserts, order more drinks and to pay the bill. Our waiter had so much ‘personality’, he spent 15 minutes at a time gossiping at the till with a mate, ignoring his tables. Rude, I felt.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I wouldn’t dream of tipping the hygienist (at the dentist), who has just ripped me off for £50, yet I feel obliged to tip the hairdresser 10% for a cut and blow dry, (who seems to charge more and more each visit).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Having worked in bars and restaurants during my student days I quickly came to the conclusion that some of the public are complete ***** and public facing jobs are tough. And attitudes, rudeness, and levels of entitlement seem to be even worse these days. Maybe it is unfair I single out a certain sector of the economy but its one I have experience of, hugely respect and gain a lot of enjoyment from. Maybe it’s unfair I singled youngsters in my post, but I think they get a far more worse deal in hospitality. I wouldn’t say mine is an argument, more I’m merely explaining my actions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know of a very popular independent restaurant in Brighton that adds 10% service charge to every bill but this is not passed on to the staff. Staff turn over is high and service is bad.

That’s disappointing. Care to name them?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have on rare occasions given tips to staff in Macdonalds and other such places.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Sorry. Disagree. If I have had poor service I won't tip. If they add the service charge I will tell them to take it off. I am never going to reward poor service. That just encourages them to carry on being crap.

Well done - a tip shouldn’t be a given, it’s a reward for good service and if you don’t get it, don’t pay it.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Over here I typically tip 15% for bad service (10% for atrocious), 20% for good, and 25%+ for exceptional.

Restaurants / bars are allowed to pay below minimum wage here, and due to tip out policies, shafting someone on a tip could actually mean they lose money.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The problem with tipping is that it is customary to do so.

I went for a pub lunch yesterday and was totally forgotten about after being seated. I had to go to the bar to order the food. (It was table service.) To me, the service experience was not worthy of a 15% tip, but if I had not coughed up, I would’ve been in the wrong.

Seriously you wouldn't be in the wrong.
I would not give a tip or go back to this pub to eat if the service was bad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports