[Drinking] Tip your barstaff!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Tips stands for 'To Insure Prompt Service', and was initially given when arriving at the restuarant to make sure that you were treated well and that everything went smoothly.
I am a tipper, but only if the above is evident, if not, then not tipping and not coming back.
From what I have seen since being here, Aussies don't tip much and seem to struggle using a knife and fork.
:lol:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I used to reference the TIPS acronym but was told it was a myth. Apparently it comes from an old phrase 'take the tip' which was a like a bribe to a servant or worker.

I spent hours googling it some years back but never really found the true meaning

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No. I shan’t be tipping bar staff.

I tip my barber. I tip at restaurants that haven’t had the cheek to add on their own service charge and if they’ve given good service.

I used to tip taxi drivers but they’re a rip off and mostly a bunch of ****s.

That’s it. Sorry but my hard earned isn’t going to be used to sub employers that don’t pay their staff properly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I sense a bit of frustration. I share it. You have to remember that you’re talking to a man who willingly frequents a restaurant that employs a bouncer. Remember that, breathe deeply; it’ll pass.
:lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Tips stands for 'To Insure Prompt Service', and was initially given when arriving at the restuarant to make sure that you were treated well and that everything went smoothly.
I am a tipper, but only if the above is evident, if not, then not tipping and not coming back.
From what I have seen since being here, Aussies don't tip much and seem to struggle using a knife and fork.
Totally Inapropriate Payment Source might be more apt?

Anyway, surely only a fool tips BEFORE they have even experienced the service?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I stopped tipping on the day the Amex opened. Down from London with a Spurs fan pal of mine, we were on the sauce after the game. Enjoying the delights West St could throw at us, we found ourselves in the Half Moon in Middle Street. My pal knew a previous landlady many years previous who used to get a 60+ year old stripper in to entertain the clientele.
Confused Eyes GIF by MOODMAN

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I gave the barstaff at the pub I regularly go to a tenner for their tip jar the other day.

Worked out as a percentage of how much I've spent there over the last three years or so that'd be alarmingly small.

Frankly, tipping barstaff (or being asked to "add gratuity" when paying by card for a single drink) is total bullshit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ll tip for exceptional service.

Saying hello, pulling a pint, and charging me £6.50 for the privilege? Frankly they’re lucky to get a f***ing “thank you”.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The hospitality industry is largely staffed by young people. Trouble with that these days is if you don’t treat young people like Christ reborn and compliment and compensate them for every thing they do, they cry “Trauma”! And take you to court for causing CPTSD.

Get them back down the mines. I’ve got a chimney needs sweeping but will they step up? Well, my chimney doesn’t come equipped with a Break Out room complete with X Box, table football and a safe space. So I doubt they’ll consider it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The hospitality industry is largely staffed by young people. Trouble with that these days is if you don’t treat young people like Christ reborn and compliment and compensate them for every thing they do, they cry “Trauma”! And take you to court for causing CPTSD.

Get them back down the mines. I’ve got a chimney needs sweeping but will they step up? Well, my chimney doesn’t come equipped with a Break Out room complete with X Box, table football and a safe space. So I doubt they’ll consider it.

Isn't the whole industry a bit screwed?

No one is really going out as much and no one really wants to work in it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If that were true they would be called Teps as the correct word is ensure.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Isn't the whole industry a bit screwed?

No one is really going out as much and no one really wants to work in it.
I’ve heard that but when I am in Brighton which I am every Friday and Saturday night, it’s busy. Restaurants and bars are full.

I can certainly understand people not wanting to work in it though. Who want to be shouted at by chefs, moaned at by customers, deal with drunk dickheads, groping, rudeness etc ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports