Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tinpot Albion - Massive Fail?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
For balance, or my last visit by car we asked a local for final mile directions to Hillsborough, who paused for an eternity and advised us we were miles out as Hillsborough is actually in Liverpool.

Thick as Shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think there is a lot of fair comment on there.Owlstalk. We are a relatively small club, like Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, and we all realise there are bigger clubs languishing in the Championship, Wednesday, Forest, Leeds, WBA , Derby to name a few. What do fans of these bigger clubs expect us to DO? Stop supporting our club? Sure we have plastic fans but we also have a loyal fan base who have followed us through the darkest of times. We have achieved, as a club something quite remarkable over the last few years. Coventry City have had a similar past to us and they have not achieved what we have......yet.
Probably one by one the big clubs from the Championship will have Premier league status, Leeds and WBA being the obvious candidates with a couple of small clubs passing them on the way. Nothing though is guaranteed and we must hope and pray with a little luck we can make our Premier league stay as long as possible. I for one believe Wednesday are a big club but that alone doesn't give you the right to play in the most lucrative league in the world. We have earned the right but that can slip away in the blink of an eye.
They deserved their win yesterday and we only have ourselves to blame for that but I would rather be in our league posistion than Wednesday's. Let's hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

Club size isn't a static concept though is it.

Your club can grow and it can shrink. It takes many many years, but we're building from the ground up. 8000 on a ST waiting list and selling out pretty much every away game, to me is quite impressive. Yes, being in the Premier League helps, but we're making hay to build the support base while the sun shines and that's all we can do.

On the pitch we clearly don't have the trophies, but again, we're taking sensible long term decisions. Out of all the clubs in the bottom half of the Prem, nobody has a better chance to be challenging over the next 5 to 10 years.

Not trying to claim we're something we're not. Just don't see the need to do ourselves down

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should I be embarrassed to support the Albion then? That’s not gonna happen. I am particularly proud of the last 40 years both for on pitch and off pitch fan involvement. I really don’t care what other clubs think and I don’t think we have a divine right to be in the PL either.

I do happen to think Reading and Bournemouth are tinpot, so am no better than Wednesday fans :smile:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Club size isn't a static concept though is it.

Your club can grow and it can shrink. It takes many many years, but we're building from the ground up. 8000 on a ST waiting list and selling out pretty much every away game, to me is quite impressive. Yes, being in the Premier League helps, but we're making hay to build the support base while the sun shines and that's all we can do.

On the pitch we clearly don't have the trophies, but again, we're taking sensible long term decisions. Out of all the clubs in the bottom half of the Prem, nobody has a better chance to be challenging over the next 5 to 10 years.

Not trying to claim we're something we're not. Just don't see the need to do ourselves down

Oh I don't disagree with you but on the flip side you could not expect sell out crowds, thousands on the st waiting list if we get relegated. You are right we are a growing fan base but I doubt we could command a fan base as big as Wednesday in the Championship, especially if we were struggling as they seem to be......no we would be back to 18 to 22 k at best in their posistion hence I consider they are a far bigger club than we are.....or Bournemouth, Watford, Palace ect ect ect

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Loved the quote from 19-year-old Wednesday player Osaze Urhoghide who made his first team debut yesterday:

“I just want to thank him [Monk] for putting trust in me against a big Premier League team"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
At least we're the best club in our city....

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh I don't disagree with you but on the flip side you could not expect sell out crowds, thousands on the st waiting list if we get relegated. You are right we are a growing fan base but I doubt we could command a fan base as big as Wednesday in the Championship, especially if we were struggling as they seem to be......no we would be back to 18 to 22 k at best in their posistion hence I consider they are a far bigger club than we are.....or Bournemouth, Watford, Palace ect ect ect

Firstly, they certainly aren't struggling. If we were 8th in the Championship and in the play off hunt, I have no doubt we'd be selling out every game

Every year we have of 30k attendances those bonds are getting stronger and there's another few dozen youngsters coming through who will stick through thick and thin. I still think we'd sell out all our ST's for a good few years if we went down the divisions. The difference is there would be more and more no shows.

I actually think relegation would be good for our fan base. We have quite a lot of Spurs and Arsenal fans from fiveways who only use half the games on their season tickets. A few are converted enough to stay, the rest wouldn't be a great loss. We've got a generation who want to get in, but are currently frozen out.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
These lot, and like so many other clubs like them (see Leeds, Forest, Derby etc) are so bitter and self entitled that all they have is the "we are a big club" because ultimately for the last 20+ years results haven't been good enough.
You can't live on past glory forever. Football doesn't stand still, it evolves and so do clubs.
If your going to live on the backward mentality of the 70s.and 80s you'll be left behind.

Wednesday may of been a big club, yonks and yonks ago. They are not anymore. They are no bigger then us anymore.

It's because people like this are the reason issues such as racism and homophobic abuse are so hard to overcome, because these people are thick

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a lot of bollocks talked about “ big club”

You can measure it in all sorts of ways.

Currently, the “ big club” label should only be measured by champions league entrance. Although is the Greek champions in the same “ big club”;as say Barcelona or Liverpool?

I would say that in the UK, it would be Liverpool, man united, Celtic, and that would really be it.

You could argue that Man City and Chelsea are possible to be added, and maybe Rangers.

For me this is why a cup run of any flavour is so important to our club. Just to remain in the top division with no hope of winning it , or hopefully finishing 1 place above the relegation zone ( which seems to be the ambition of some people) maybe financially fantastic, but I suppose our season’s highlights must be winning games against those clubs that we have regarded in the past as much “ bigger “ clubs than we are.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I think there is a lot of fair comment on there.Owlstalk. We are a relatively small club, like Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, and we all realise there are bigger clubs languishing in the Championship, Wednesday, Forest, Leeds, WBA , Derby to name a few. What do fans of these bigger clubs expect us to DO? Stop supporting our club? Sure we have plastic fans but we also have a loyal fan base who have followed us through the darkest of times. We have achieved, as a club something quite remarkable over the last few years. Coventry City have had a similar past to us and they have not achieved what we have......yet.
Probably one by one the big clubs from the Championship will have Premier league status, Leeds and WBA being the obvious candidates with a couple of small clubs passing them on the way. Nothing though is guaranteed and we must hope and pray with a little luck we can make our Premier league stay as long as possible. I for one believe Wednesday are a big club but that alone doesn't give you the right to play in the most lucrative league in the world. We have earned the right but that can slip away in the blink of an eye.
They deserved their win yesterday and we only have ourselves to blame for that but I would rather be in our league posistion than Wednesday's. Let's hope it stays that way for as long as possible.
Burnley and Bournemouth are certainly smaller clubs than Brighton. Coventry have had more success than us. Certainly spent more time in the top flight and won the FA Cup.

Wednesday are a bang average club though. Get a good crowd when things are on the up but most can't be bothered outside those infrequent times.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Firstly, they certainly aren't struggling. If we were 8th in the Championship and in the play off hunt, I have no doubt we'd be selling out every game

Every year we have of 30k attendances those bonds are getting stronger and there's another few dozen youngsters coming through who will stick through thick and thin. I still think we'd sell out all our ST's for a good few years if we went down the divisions. The difference is there would be more and more no shows.

I actually think relegation would be good for our fan base. We have quite a lot of Spurs and Arsenal fans from fiveways who only use half the games on their season tickets. A few are converted enough to stay, the rest wouldn't be a great loss. We've got a generation who want to get in, but are currently frozen out.

Season ticket holders account for 22K of our attendance, leaving 5K on general sale. There will always be no shows due to work or illness, but those tickets go on the ticket exchange. I missed 3 home games in Oct/Nov following an op, but each time my ticket was resold. I don’t buy this about fans of other clubs getting season tickets but only showing up for selected games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They’re a big club but really how many PL clubs are they bigger than?

Us, Palace, Wolverhampton, Bournemouth and Watford?

:fishing:

Quite funny though.

Wolverhampton? ??? :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Burnley and Bournemouth are certainly smaller clubs than Brighton. Coventry have had more success than us. Certainly spent more time in the top flight and won the FA Cup.

Wednesday are a bang average club though. Get a good crowd when things are on the up but most can't be bothered outside those infrequent times.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ah, bigness....

The English. Despite the very fact of the present, we still like to factor in what everyone did previously. Once, there was pink everywhere on the map of the world. I was in Baghdad....

I never Knew My Place. That's for fools :shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
They're not a big club anymore. The only thing that's big is their sense of entitlement.

Stop choking in the Championship and come back to the top table, then they can start calling themselves a 'big' club again. It'll take a while though. Hell it'll be a while, if ever for us to be a 'big' club so they can enjoy being inconsequential.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just to cheer us all up after yesterday, Owlstalk has a magnificent and thoroughgoing analysis of precisely why, after all those years, and despite everyone's best efforts to cover up the embarrassing truths - Brighton & Hove Albion remains an irredeemably and laughably tinpot enterprise.

It's all here. Plenty of "soulless bowl" and "plastic fans" bingo to enjoy.
Read, weep and learn from our betters.

How nice for them.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Without any hint of irony or skepticism, my jaw dropped at the group of Wednesday fans on the park and ride bus, matter of fact discussing if the racecourse was the best place to use when they played us next year in the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here