Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tinkering stats

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think the tinkering is a necessity as it helps him find the best formations.
eg:
Lets try Sanchez and rest Ryan..... result..... we have a keeper that comes for crosses, stands big when players are through on him and IMHO, looks the best young keeper in the division.
Lets stop playing Webster on the left of Dunky, play Webster on the right and Dunky on the left.....result.... Webbie is looking twice the player he was 6 weeks ago, and Dunky is refinding the form he displayed when he used to play on the left of Duffy.
Lets play MacAllister further forward.... result..... the last two games he has looked superb and IMHO was MOM both times .
He is still working out his best formations, but bring Bissuma, Lamptey, Welbeck, Lalana and possibly a left wing back and suddenly it is giving us hope that the tinkering has payed off

Great point. If people are going to criticise the manager for “tinkering” then he equally deserves credit when it works.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I think the tinkering is a necessity as it helps him find the best formations.
eg:
Lets try Sanchez and rest Ryan..... result..... we have a keeper that comes for crosses, stands big when players are through on him and IMHO, looks the best young keeper in the division.
Lets stop playing Webster on the left of Dunky, play Webster on the right and Dunky on the left.....result.... Webbie is looking twice the player he was 6 weeks ago, and Dunky is refinding the form he displayed when he used to play on the left of Duffy.
Lets play MacAllister further forward.... result..... the last two games he has looked superb and IMHO was MOM both times .
He is still working out his best formations, but bring Bissuma, Lamptey, Welbeck, Lalana and possibly a left wing back and suddenly it is giving us hope that the tinkering has payed off

32% of NSC rate him the best current English manager, although he is still unsure what his best formation is after 55 Premier League games,

also he has failed to win a single home league game this season.

He may well prove me and a few others wrong but this is a results based business and one win against Leeds doesn't make him a football genius.

I concede that we are not halfway through the season yet, so we still have it all to play for, here's hoping for few home wins to add to the 3 aways. :albion2:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
...and of the seven sides who are tinkered with more than us, there's been a fair bit of Covid-enforced shuffling going on.

We've also probably had a fair amount of Covid changes forced upon us due to players needing to isolate. It's just that our club are more confidential than most.

I think Mac Allister and Connolly have missed games due to Covid and they're just the ones we know about. I wouldn't be surprised if Alzate also probably needed to isolate on his return from Colombia.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This is a prime example of Stats not proving a point.
Potter wants a squad of players comfortably playing multiple positions from game to game and within a game.
Tinkering is pretty much what he does all the time. Ideally he wants more options to tinker, not less.

In the Premier League all clubs will have analysts dissecting the oppositions strengths and weaknesses.
Having a manager capable of fielding a starting 11 that even the most ardent Brighton fans are unable to pick, gives us a slight edge.

It's a differentiator for us.
Long may it continue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Before you jump all over it, Stasi like, just have a think about the meaning of that stat. It certainly tells us some of the story, but does not capture the tinkering of players being used in multiple positions. A good example would be Ben White. A fair bit of the tinkering criticism has been about playing him in three different positions.

Yes, a good example is Ben White. A superb CB and superb midfielder, played wide on right once and once only as it didn’t work. Where’s the issue here?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Dunk, Bissouma and Lamptey have between them missed 8 matches through suspension.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
looking toward the latter half of the season, when fatigue and suspensions can start to play a part, ( and injuries obvs) the fact we have a squad of PL players rather than a team and some subs can only be a good thing, outside the top 6-8 there aren't that many clubs that boast that, I don't think.

Even with all the tinkering, its great that we have a sort of 'strength in depth' now (when all on the injury list come back), to give GP a selection problem.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is a prime example of Stats not proving a point.
Potter wants a squad of players comfortably playing multiple positions from game to game and within a game.
Tinkering is pretty much what he does all the time. Ideally he wants more options to tinker, not less.

In the Premier League all clubs will have analysts dissecting the oppositions strengths and weaknesses.
Having a manager capable of fielding a starting 11 that even the most ardent Brighton fans are unable to pick, gives us a slight edge.

It's a differentiator for us.
Long may it continue.

It’s certainly a critique I see here often “he doesn’t even know his own best 11”.

It’s old school thinking, and you’re so right here U. This is proof we have a forward thinking manager, capable of thinking outside the box. As long as his systems and tactics are understood by the players I don’t see the problem.

None of us expected Biss to not be in the line up at Leeds. I think we were all grumbling about Gross starting ahead of him. But it turned out to be inspired. The strategy worked beautifully.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, a good example is Ben White. A superb CB and superb midfielder, played wide on right once and once only as it didn’t work. Where’s the issue here?

Prior to Saturday he wasn’t being described as a superb midfielder. The feeling has been that playing him in that position has been to the detriment of his performances and occasional positional lapses at CB. Whether or not that proves to be the case it is undeniably tinkering (for better or for worse).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
OR I genuinely believe Potter is a talented young manager who is building something special.

Sorry if believing that offends you in some way.

Your fanaticism about Potter is more akin to ISIS believing in Allah than it is to Ethel who believes in God and goes to church on Sundays!

Get on the match thread and attack the infidels!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Excellent, we can put this away now then? :lolol:

6756AB5E-DC7C-4FC5-85BA-BE887E750C7C.jpeg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I am a huge Potter in fan, but I would temper this stat with a note of caution. This blended number could hide a great deal of squad rotation (which has been unarguable this season). Some has been forced on Potter, some is his choice. We know he assembles his team based on how to exploit the weaknesses, and counter the strengths, of the opposition, so there will never be a time when he plays his "best XI" week in week out. There is no best XI because we need different attributes depending on who we're playing*.

* My gut feel is that we do rotate too much even so, but my gut feel will be based on old thinking from the past 40 years watching football, not on the new thinking GP is using.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So you believe Potter should be sacked?

As I said on the other thread I'm happy to give Potter another reprieve like I did after our two good performances against Liverpool and Villa.

If history repeats itself and we turn in another month of abject performances like we did last time then he should absolutely be sacked.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Before you jump all over it, Stasi like, just have a think about the meaning of that stat. It certainly tells us some of the story, but does not capture the tinkering of players being used in multiple positions. A good example would be Ben White. A fair bit of the tinkering criticism has been about playing him in three different positions.

A point of view that doesn't hold any water, and is utterly meaningless.

Fancy criticising a manager for utilising a player who plays well in three different positions.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Prior to Saturday he wasn’t being described as a superb midfielder. The feeling has been that playing him in that position has been to the detriment of his performances and occasional positional lapses at CB. Whether or not that proves to be the case it is undeniably tinkering (for better or for worse).

And Ben White was magnificent on Saturday. Arguably his most influential game of the season.

So surely you have to credit the manager for playing him there? Come on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here