Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to " learn " from these defeats Mr Potter . The opposition goal is at the other end

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
There is at least one gammon dinosaur in every stand of the Amex with an annoyingly loud voice screaming out ‘launch it’ or ‘get rid’ when one of our defenders or keeper dare to control the ball properly and play a pass of under 30 yards. I’ve sat in different places and it’s almost like it’s the same white baldy old bloke cursing and swearing at our players time and time again for not playing the sort of football they grew up watching in the 60’s & 70’s. The sort of idiot who loves the sound of his own voice but does not have the self awareness to realise that he is making an ass out of himself.

Is the OP one of these?

someone I sit near is profoundly offended by the suggestion that football can be played in any formation other than 442.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
LOL :lolol:
(Seriously I am assuming that was sarcasm)

No, I'm serious. He's been on NSC since 2008. My recollection from some of his previous posts is he's an older fella. I don't doubt his sincerity.

You can talk out of you're arse without being a troll, you realise? You do it, from time to time. :rolleyes: We all do. I certainly do. :lolol:

Still.....it is worth digging him out over it :shrug:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
26437C8F-407D-43C4-A9B9-9DD5922C0D1A.gif

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
i agree this is just a fishing trip, however a kind of serious answer to the playing out from the back point. Following the admittedly unexpected points from Arsenal and Leicester I think we found ourselves in the unexpected position of nearly being safe, bar a run of very unlikely results. We were always unlikely to get points from Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, and losing all three wasnt going to be a massive issue, other than trying to protect the goal difference to some extent. So I think Mr Potter did exacty what he said he would do -Learn. By continuing to play out against possible the 3 in form teams in Europe, our back line was put on to a very steep learning curve. Had we only played out from the back when it was against teams that we are more than capable of doing so without incident, the players won't improve as much as when doing the same against the best in the world. We would have probably got away with most of those goals had we been playing bottom half teams, but I warrant our back line will be a lot tighter with ball control in future

Did it cost us points? I doubt it, These three teams were playing world class football, and a hoof it up the field approach would almost certainly come unstuck before the final whistle. So we got our shorts pulled down and spanked, but I expect a valuable lesson was learned . Had we been desperately requiring a point or two from those games, I think we would have seen a different game plan, as it was we lost the games, and our goal difference took a beating, but not to the extent that we need to be to worried, and with three winnable games to come all is looking good

This.

Even with the difficulty of playing against Liverpool/City/United, we had good moments where we took the game to the opposition.
Particularly the Liverpool game where arguably if we had eliminated mistakes we may well have won the game.

United were too good for us and dictated the play to such an extent, that the game was over by the time we showed what we could do.

IMO City was just a training exercise, where Potter rested some players and had a look at Montoya, Bernardo and Ali J.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Every time we've lost this season - Mr Potterer says that we will " learn " from the experience . Great - good attitude - however it's been proven to be hot air . The recent 3 games were very difficult as we all know however we played well in only one of them - the Liverpool game. Even in that game we'd decided that knocking the ball nervously around in our own six yard box would be a route to us scoring . WRONG - it's a route to the other team scoring . We saw it again against Man City to an embarassing degree. Why didn't we adopt different tactics and get Ryan to kick the ball up the pitch towards their goal - better to give them the ball in their own half than on the edge of our own area surely ? What did we learn from the Man U and Liverpool games ? It would appear nothing . What's so wrong with giving Murray a chance and using his experience to hold the ball up and win free kicks in games like these - especially when tippy tappy toe in your own box is proven not to work against some of the worlds greatest strikers .Maybe tonight it will be better or maybe Danny Ings will just be sitting there with his trousers down right now fantasing about a Davy Propper slip or a nice back pass to him from Stephens . How many will he score tonight if we play like that ? Anyway we have to LEARN as Mr Potter says so f**king well learn and stop pissing about with the ball six yards from our own goal - it's frightening to watch and it DOES NOT WORK . Looks like we are staying up now which is mainly due to the late goal against Arsenal ( when we played really well - limited pissing about ) . Good luck tonight Seagulls and remember their goal is at the other end .

You sound like Graham Sounessosaurus!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This.

Even with the difficulty of playing against Liverpool/City/United, we had good moments where we took the game to the opposition.
Particularly the Liverpool game where arguably if we had eliminated mistakes we may well have won the game.

United were too good for us and dictated the play to such an extent, that the game was over by the time we showed what we could do.

IMO City was just a training exercise, where Potter rested some players and had a look at Montoya, Bernardo and Ali J.

If Mr Potter needs to watch Montoya to decide at this point I think he might need his eyes tested, to be frank. Can anyone tell me what Montoya does well? Not trying to be harsh, just genuinely don’t know. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
someone I sit near is profoundly offended by the suggestion that football can be played in any formation other than 442.

There was a lad who sat a few rows behind me at Withdean. Probably about my age, Beard. Smokes a cigar. Nice lad. He used to shout 'Hoof it' with regularity. If the ball was hoofed and somehow arrived near enough for Zamora to get it under control, he'd murmer 'Quality hoof'. Some of my old pals on here will remember him I'm sure.

He was taking the piss. Even back then most of us realised you had to sup at the Devil's cup (and probably promise him a regular rogering) if your plan was to become a success as the new Wimbledon.

For me the epitome of emotional self-harm is someone who pays money to watch football and screams 'GET RID OF IT' evey time the ball comes into our half.

It's the sort of mentality that drives the person to pour half a bottle of wine down the lav at the start of the evening to save having to get up during the night for a wee.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If Mr Potter needs to watch Montoya to decide at this point I think he might need his eyes tested, to be frank. Can anyone tell me what Montoya does well? Not trying to be harsh, just genuinely don’t know. :shrug:

In truth he just had to rest Lamptey, but I'm sure he would have given Montoya the courtesy of having a look to confirm what he already knows.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Every time we've lost this season - Mr Potterer says that we will " learn " from the experience . Great - good attitude - however it's been proven to be hot air . The recent 3 games were very difficult as we all know however we played well in only one of them - the Liverpool game. Even in that game we'd decided that knocking the ball nervously around in our own six yard box would be a route to us scoring . WRONG - it's a route to the other team scoring . We saw it again against Man City to an embarassing degree. Why didn't we adopt different tactics and get Ryan to kick the ball up the pitch towards their goal - better to give them the ball in their own half than on the edge of our own area surely ? .... Anyway we have to LEARN as Mr Potter says so f**king well learn and stop pissing about with the ball six yards from our own goal - it's frightening to watch and it DOES NOT WORK . Looks like we are staying up now which is mainly due to the late goal against Arsenal ( when we played really well - limited pissing about ) . Good luck tonight Seagulls and remember their goal is at the other end .

I hadn't realised that John Beck had joined NSC

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good rant, 7/10. Your fury really comes across in the absence of any paragraphs.

However can't agree with much of it. Passing from the back is the way forward. Played great football this season and will stay up relatively comfortably. Not always going to work out, but it's a young and growing team. Can't imagine anything worse than going back to Houghton style football. Potter is absolutely right to reach for the stars.

Very much this. I'm sure Potter will look to bring in another striker in the close season to try to give us other options but I would rather see us passing the ball (or trying to) and go down than stay up playing hoof ball. Hopefully Lamptey is the first cog in the machine that GP will nurture over the next year.

el punal

Every time we've lost this season - Mr Potterer says that we will " learn " from the experience . Great - good attitude - however it's been proven to be hot air .

The recent 3 games were very difficult as we all know however we played well in only one of them - the Liverpool game. Even in that game we'd decided that knocking the ball nervously around in our own six yard box would be a route to us scoring . WRONG - it's a route to the other team scoring .

We saw it again against Man City to an embarassing degree. Why didn't we adopt different tactics and get Ryan to kick the ball up the pitch towards their goal - better to give them the ball in their own half than on the edge of our own area surely ? What did we learn from the Man U and Liverpool games ? It would appear nothing .

What's so wrong with giving Murray a chance and using his experience to hold the ball up and win free kicks in games like these - especially when tippy tappy toe in your own box is proven not to work against some of the worlds greatest strikers .Maybe tonight it will be better or maybe Danny Ings will just be sitting there with his trousers down right now fantasing about a Davy Propper slip or a nice back pass to him from Stephens . How many will he score tonight if we play like that ?

Anyway we have to LEARN as Mr Potter says so f**king well learn and stop pissing about with the ball six yards from our own goal - it's frightening to watch and it DOES NOT WORK . Looks like we are staying up now which is mainly due to the late goal against Arsenal ( when we played really well - limited pissing about ) . Good luck tonight Seagulls and remember their goal is at the other end .

Take it easy old chap. You sound like a verbal version of Mr. Creosote with wind. :eek:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very much this. I'm sure Potter will look to bring in another striker in the close season to try to give us other options but I would rather see us passing the ball (or trying to) and go down than stay up playing hoof ball. Hopefully Lamptey is the first cog in the machine that GP will nurture over the next year.

From what I've seen of Cochrane, he could be the equivalent on the left side. It's early days of course but he looks very promising.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Every time we've lost this season - Mr Potterer says that we will " learn " from the experience . Great - good attitude - however it's been proven to be hot air .

The recent 3 games were very difficult as we all know however we played well in only one of them - the Liverpool game. Even in that game we'd decided that knocking the ball nervously around in our own six yard box would be a route to us scoring . WRONG - it's a route to the other team scoring .

We saw it again against Man City to an embarassing degree. Why didn't we adopt different tactics and get Ryan to kick the ball up the pitch towards their goal - better to give them the ball in their own half than on the edge of our own area surely ? What did we learn from the Man U and Liverpool games ? It would appear nothing .

What's so wrong with giving Murray a chance and using his experience to hold the ball up and win free kicks in games like these - especially when tippy tappy toe in your own box is proven not to work against some of the worlds greatest strikers .Maybe tonight it will be better or maybe Danny Ings will just be sitting there with his trousers down right now fantasing about a Davy Propper slip or a nice back pass to him from Stephens . How many will he score tonight if we play like that ?

Anyway we have to LEARN as Mr Potter says so f**king well learn and stop pissing about with the ball six yards from our own goal - it's frightening to watch and it DOES NOT WORK . Looks like we are staying up now which is mainly due to the late goal against Arsenal ( when we played really well - limited pissing about ) . Good luck tonight Seagulls and remember their goal is at the other end .

Nothing wrong with building from the back per se but you need good players to carry it off and sometimes even if you have got good players if the opposition close you down quickly then you can still come unstuck (e.g. Man City rode their luck last night v Bmuff who were up and at 'em all over the pitch). At the moment, given the quality of our defenders, at a minimum I'd like to see a bit of variety with Ryan being told to mix his distribution up, not just play it short all the time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’ve consistently said I’m 100% behind Graham Potter as our manager regardless if we are relegated or not.

He’s a fantastic ambassador for our club, I respect him as a man, as a coach, and I fully embrace his philosophy of football.

He’s also terrific with young players and we have some great talent coming through.

Exciting things are happening, and with Tony, Graham, Ashworth and Barber we are in great hands. We’re a club on the up.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’ve consistently said I’m 100% behind Graham Potter as our manager regardless if we are relegated or not.

He’s a fantastic ambassador for our club, I respect him as a man, as a coach, and I fully embrace his philosophy of football.

He’s also terrific with young players and we have some great talent coming through.

Exciting things are happening, and with Tony, Graham, Ashworth and Barber we are in great hands. We’re a club on the up.

Evening Graham :thumbsup:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
People forget that for Potter, Webster, Connolly, MacAllister, Alzate, Maupay, Trossard, Lamptey and Burn (to a lesser extent) this season really is a learning exercise. It’s their first season at this level. They haven’t done too bad have they.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here