Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to do a deal with Chelsea

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Strange isn't it, how fickle NSC can be? Sanchez comes in - he's cool, calm, unflappable and can dominate the box in a way tiny Maty Ryan never could - and reach shots he couldn't either. There was even that wonderful set of pictures, a la the Fry's Five Boys advert - of Big Bob happy sad, angry, anxious and whatever else - all with exactly the same picture!
Now, however, that De Zerbi has decided he can't play De Zerbi ball (and, so far at least, De Zerbi is the messiah, and can't do anything wrong) his calmness is laziness, his unflappable-ness indicates he's too casual, blah blah blah ..................... and even though he probably feels (with a degree of justification TBH) that he's been thrown under the bus by De Zerbi, he's now apparantly (according to NSC at least) a bad character, a bad influence, a sulky waster and a rubbish GK we've got to get off the books (we have to, yes - but for his sake, not ours).
OK, Steele has done well, he can pass the ball round a bit better, and Verbruggen has probably been brought in to replace both of them - but for good or ill, De Zerbi's got a ruthless streak as well behind that smiling nice guy face. As someone on here has said, his door is always open ........ but it may also be labelled 'Way Out'.
I hope Sanchez finds a good club, with a manager that appreciates him, and has a good career. Some of the stick he's got on here beggars belief.
Interesting glasses you’re wearing!!!

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Strange isn't it, how fickle NSC can be? Sanchez comes in - he's cool, calm, unflappable and can dominate the box in a way tiny Maty Ryan never could - and reach shots he couldn't either. There was even that wonderful set of pictures, a la the Fry's Five Boys advert - of Big Bob happy sad, angry, anxious and whatever else - all with exactly the same picture!
Now, however, that De Zerbi has decided he can't play De Zerbi ball (and, so far at least, De Zerbi is the messiah, and can't do anything wrong) his calmness is laziness, his unflappable-ness indicates he's too casual, blah blah blah ..................... and even though he probably feels (with a degree of justification TBH) that he's been thrown under the bus by De Zerbi, he's now apparantly (according to NSC at least) a bad character, a bad influence, a sulky waster and a rubbish GK we've got to get off the books (we have to, yes - but for his sake, not ours).
OK, Steele has done well, he can pass the ball round a bit better, and Verbruggen has probably been brought in to replace both of them - but for good or ill, De Zerbi's got a ruthless streak as well behind that smiling nice guy face. As someone on here has said, his door is always open ........ but it may also be labelled 'Way Out'.
I hope Sanchez finds a good club, with a manager that appreciates him, and has a good career. Some of the stick he's got on here beggars belief.
What a strange post. True, though, that de Zerbi has a ruthless streak. Like Guardiola, Ferguson, Clough and all the greats. Part of the job.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Less about NSC being fickle, more about Sanchez downing tools at one of the most important points of the club's history when we were pushing for European qualification.

He's an utter disgrace. Get Rid.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wow. Some rant. You’ve picked the wrong post for that reply. I didn’t say he’s no good. I said he has a laidback demeanour which won’t go down well at a club like Chelsea when he has one of his more erratic moments. The confidence he showed claiming every high ball at first was less evident later on and his adventurous approach would lead to the occasional bad decision. No big deal as he was a massive upgrade for us on Maty Ryan, can make some brilliant saves and that laidback appearance didn’t change the fact he’s a keeper with huge potential who had some goodwill in the bank. Our fan base is now largely happy to trust managers and give players time to fulfil their potential. It’ll require a sea change in attitude in the stands at Stamford Bridge to be content with a developing team and not get on their backs. Relaxed body language - however misleading that may be - will be like a red rag to a bull the first time he makes a mistake which, as a human, will happen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you think he was justified in refusing to sit on the bench?
Refused - or asked not to travel with the squad? Without being present at all the conversations that took place, and without knowing what he said or what De Zerbi said I'm not in a position to judge. It's not, after all, as if he left us without a GK on the bench - and he did play (very well) when picked.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They can F off. Horrible horrrible club with more plastic fans than is in Katie Price's face.

Breach FFP, tap up Caicedo, and nick our whole management team. Enough already.
...and they still have the nerve to keep saying that Caicedo is overvalued.
The club that paid £63m for Cucu, around £90m for Mudryk and £105m for Enzo Fernandez. You couldn't make it up!!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agreed, l think any deal for Colwill is dead in the water, especially now we have bought in Igor.

Chelsea reportedly turned down our offer of £40m, and Sanchexz probably wouldn't even fetch half of that amount.
Raya is valued by Brentford at £40m, so they will probably take £35m.
He is a bit better than Sanchez, so £20-£25m seems about right.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The ruthless types tend to be the best managers, we finished top six so far RDZ has made the right calls you can’t argue with that.
I remember after the Palace away game RDZ said he had sleepless nights over the goal keeper situation and decided to go with JS. Nothing wrong with that apart from it appears Sanchez couldn’t except the decision.
He realised that Sanchez is prone to serious lapses of concentration, which tend to undo all his good work. Our playing out from the back is very precise and there is little or no room for error. RDZ stayed loyal to him during the Cup run and that may have cost us during the shootout, as he got nowhere near 7 kicks.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
He realised that Sanchez is prone to serious lapses of concentration, which tend to undo all his good work. Our playing out from the back is very precise and there is little or no room for error. RDZ stayed loyal to him during the Cup run and that may have cost us during the shootout, as he got nowhere near 7 kicks.
In fairness, he did actually get his fingers to the Wouthorst penalty and was a tad unlucky he didn’t quite tip it round the post. Although yes, never filled with confidence when facing a penalty.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Refused - or asked not to travel with the squad? Without being present at all the conversations that took place, and without knowing what he said or what De Zerbi said I'm not in a position to judge. It's not, after all, as if he left us without a GK on the bench - and he did play (very well) when picked.

If he was asked not to travel you can almost guarantee that Sanchez's people would have leaked that info.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I liked Sanchez.

What a shame it’s ended like this. Can’t see us getting much for him. Are we sure we can’t train those mistakes out of him and get him to fight to be a number 1 again. Notwithstanding that I think Steele is fabulous and we’ve signed a back up keeper.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I liked Sanchez.

What a shame it’s ended like this. Can’t see us getting much for him. Are we sure we can’t train those mistakes out of him and get him to fight to be a number 1 again. Notwithstanding that I think Steele is fabulous and we’ve signed a back up keeper.
It will be interesting to see which keeper he starts £16m is a lot for a back up keeper.
For a PL keeper to make that clanger against Palace was unforgivable really cost us the game.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I liked Sanchez.

I don't think Steele is fabulous unfortunately.

Great character, great with his feet (one of best in league)

But with the gloves - saves and positioning. Not fabulous (albeit not crap either)

I'd put Sanchez ahead in that category, accepting he has a few howlers to his name.

Between them, there is a truly fabulous keeper, as individuals they both have strengths and weakneses.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The club, via RDZ, said that Sanchez had asked to be left out of the squad, it was reported widely that was what happened. If that wasn't true you'd have expected Sanchez or his representatives to put something out in the media themselves.

He left us with a rookie goalkeeper on the bench for a tough run when we were on the verge of achieving something beyond our wildest dreams even a few seasons ago. It showed a lack of support for Jason Steele, who had been number 2 for a long time and was willing to bide his time, train hard and support the number 1 goal keeper. That is unforgivable and also shows a lack of respect for the club, his team mates and our fans as well.

It happened after the Everton game, to most people it looks like Sanchez saw this as his chance to get back into the team and when it was clear Steele was still going to be picked for the next game that's when he made the request. How can anyone not think this is a massive sulk and a clear case of sour grapes on Sanchez part.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think Steele is fabulous unfortunately.

Great character, great with his feet (one of best in league)

But with the gloves - saves and positioning. Not fabulous (albeit not crap either)

I'd put Sanchez ahead in that category, accepting he has a few howlers to his name.

Between them, there is a truly fabulous keeper, as individuals they both have strengths and weakneses.
Don't worry.....Verbruggen will end up as no.1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here