Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to back Mr Barber and The Board?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Having (finally) read the various programme notes on the subject of finances and listened to Mr Barber's interviews on the radio I don't think 'The Club' could have been more open and honest about the challenges ahead and what the implications are. I very much doubt many Chairman, CEOs or Boards of other clubs give this much respect to the fans.

If we want our club to be successful and move forward whilst also achieving stability for the long term then everything they have said makes sense. Moreover there is really no alternative under FFP, so credit where it's due for being open and trying to engage the fans in the process.

So is now the time to stop complaining and get behind the Club?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we shouldnt stop complaining if there are valid complaints to be made, and voice dissatisfaction as any fan... customer would do. but blaming Barber personally is a bit daft, he's been asked to do a job by our chairman, who we know has the best interests of the club at heart.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Having (finally) read the various programme notes on the subject of finances and listened to Mr Barber's interviews on the radio I don't think 'The Club' could have been more open and honest about the challenges ahead and what the implications are. I very much doubt many Chairman, CEOs or Boards of other clubs give this much respect to the fans.

If we want our club to be successful and move forward whilst also achieving stability for the long term then everything they have said makes sense. Moreover there is really no alternative under FFP, so credit where it's due for being open and trying to engage the fans in the process.

I don' think we have much choice. It is important that the club listens to the fans (which I think they do) but we have to trust Barber and Bloom know what they are doing.

We all wanted the club to move forwards, we have to as well

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I agree. As long as the club tries to be considerate and explains why the dessions are being made, we should back them. I read the notes in the program and it seems we don't have a choice with the FFP. I just hope the club can find a good balance that allows me to still be able to afford to watch games at the Amex.

Redbourn Seagull

Jan 20, 2010

Excellent post, well said, the club have been very open and honest.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I personally think it's silly that people are full of hate and negativity for Barber, yet full of love and positivity for Bloom. Bloom employs Barber, and Barber does what Bloom tells him.

Bloom know what he's doing and us fans are indebted to him for what he (and his family) have done to the club.

This witch hunt for Barber is pathetic, Albion fans need to face the fact that the cost of football will rise for us over the next few seasons, but this is purely so that the club is on a sound financial footing. Don't you trust Tony?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Agree

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'd prefer

Time to sack Barber and the board

and there was me thinking you had become something less of a ONE TRICK PONY of late! :lolol:

In the dealings I have had with the club all I ever see and hear is an insistence that the club must and will always engage the fans in a genuine two way dialogue and I have yet to see anything at any time that goes counter to that.

In my view we are very fortunate indeed to be served by directors and an executive that so clearly understand and endorse the value of a fans' perspective as the club moves forward.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
What worries me is the possibility that the club are putting all their efforts into complying with FFP and all the other clubs are putting all their efforts into getting around FFP.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5435750 said:
I personally think it's silly that people are full of hate and negativity for Barber, yet full of love and positivity for Bloom. Bloom employs Barber, and Barber does what Bloom tells him.

Bloom know what he's doing and us fans are indebted to him for what he (and his family) have done to the club.

This witch hunt for Barber is pathetic, Albion fans need to face the fact that the cost of football will rise for us over the next few seasons, but this is purely so that the club is on a sound financial footing. Don't you trust Tony?

Totally agree with this. People can't be commenting from on high about situations at the likes of Portsmouth and Birmingham, and then demanding we splash loads of cash to improve the squad. At the same time, they can't expect Premier League football without an upturn in revenues. And some of that upturn has got to come from the fans.

They know the inner workings of the club better than anyone on here, so let's let them get on with it.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
as long as we dont sign Zaha then I am happy with everything. Generaly happy, stilll living the dream and loving every minute of it.

Apart from, the temperature of the bottled beer in the North on saturday, it was cold, too cold for my already cold hands.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
as long as we dont sign Zaha then I am happy with everything. Generaly happy, stilll living the dream and loving every minute of it.

Apart from, the temperature of the bottled beer in the North on saturday, it was cold, too cold for my already cold hands.

Jan 30, 2008
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5435750 said:

no ,HE'S A MONEY MAN .:wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a non-thread. On Saturday the fans were singing the manager's name like never before and Poyet, in turn, has been backed by the board all the way to bring in better players over the summer and now Ulloa. We are expected to break our Falmer attendance record when/if we get Arsenal in the cup in 2 weeks time. Everything else is the growing pains of a League 1 club turning into a Premier League-standard outfit.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What worries me is the possibility that the club are putting all their efforts into complying with FFP and all the other clubs are putting all their efforts into getting around FFP.

If this were true then I'd be delighted. The cheats always get found out in the end. Ask Rangers.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If Barber lands us a massive shirt sponsorship deal which allows us sufficient funds to strengthen the squad with Premiership standard signings all these minor quibbles will be very quickly forgotten. Apart from maybe by Bigbelly.

I think Barber will find this the easy bit. It's coming up with all the other fundraising elements where he might struggle to avoid us all putting our hands in our pockets.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Ill back them as long as I think things are being done in the best interest of the club. If there are things that make me unhappy, I will also say so. Fans feedback (as lots as its constructive) is important in letting them know where they are going wrong/right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here