Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to back Aaron.....

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed, it’s not his fault that we’re asking way too much of him as a club at this stage in his development.

Well, it is if you believe the (unsubstantiated) story that he refused to go on loan to a Championship club.

Personally, I wouldn't abuse the guy and I do wish him well, but it's obvious he needs seriously recalibrating.

And you just know he's going to cup his ear to fans when he next scores.

Get yer head down, lad!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I do think Connolly is more of an instinctive finisher, like Murray, slight touch, flick, deflection or whatever, than Maupay . . . but thats a confidence game as much as any. his snatched sitter misser shots of late scream to me like a man under too much of his own pressure. I think he's capable but he needs to be 100 % focussed on his football and the club not some yo-yo knickers slapper and the tabloid life.

Part of his problem seems to be trying too hard to do too much. He tries to take the Roy of the Rovers option too often rather than something simpler. Sometimes the confidence to not do something bold is as important as the confidence to try something spectacular.

It ruins fans' opinion of him if they often see attacking phases of play break down when they get to him (because he has tried something high risk), but in trying to make up for it, he'll try something else high-risk...

If he can keep his nose clean enough to justify a run in the team and get a couple of goals under his belt, then I'm sure the confidence will come and help sort out his decision-making and composure.

I REALLY wish he'd cut out the diving though.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well, it is if you believe the (unsubstantiated) story that he refused to go on loan to a Championship club.

Personally, I wouldn't abuse the guy and I do wish him well, but it's obvious he needs seriously recalibrating.

Get yer head down, lad!

If it’s true he refused the loan, it’s to his detriment sadly. I suspect he’ll get limited game time as a consequence, firmly down the pecking order - ahem - third choice.

I agree his attitude needs an immediate improvement, as I can’t see GP putting up with anything less… certainly not time and time again.

It’s his chance to work hard and start taking his chances again… even as a third, he’ll get them but he needs focus, effort and confidence. His head needs to be on the pitch and not lost in a hazy nightclub scene from hell.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Well if he's looking for a way to prove himself, there's a game on the 27th of this month that scoring in would give him instant hero status, so maybe he could start there...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He needs a few lessons from Murray in the dark art of winning free kicks. He was a master at it. Connolly seems to just chuck himself to the floor at the slightest touch and the refs are now aware of this.

I'd prefer he learned a few lessons from Murray in the (not so) dark art of, err, scoring goals. Perhaps even in the revolutionary skill of hitting the target. Because from what I've seen these last couple of years, he is to marksmanship what David Blunkett was to his local darts team.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And the trouble is, he's not getting the ones which are actual fouls.

On the other hand he's far from the worst, see the entire Aston Villa squad, Zaha, Salah. They keep getting the free kicks

I'm afraid that is the consequence of cheating. As the SEGW has learned to his cost, once you are singled out as a diving cheat there is a good chance that you dip out on getting free-kicks / pens when there has been a foul. :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If it’s true he refused the loan, it’s to his detriment sadly. I suspect he’ll get limited game time as a consequence, firmly down the pecking order - ahem - third choice.

To be clear, the rumour came from the close season last year, not this.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
To be clear, the rumour came from the close season last year, not this.

Ah; I’m with you …

That makes much more sense given our dearth of actual strikers.

Nonetheless he needs to shape up and fulfill his promise kind of nowish.

It’s also about repayment of faith, of GP and the club… this is the year to repay the club Aaron, and I don’t mean the local strip joint.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Get yer head down, lad!

It's so cringey when he does this. It's your job to score goals mate, and so far you've been shit at it. Cup your ear when you hit 20 for the season and everybody will say fair enough. Don't do it when you score your 6th goal in over 40 appearances, it makes you look like a complete unlikeable dick.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I dont think there has been a more dislikeable Albion player since Leon Knight, although he was a bigger **** after he left us and he scored goals.

I do hope he does well, but god he needs a slap.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
That’s such a knobby fans thing to say, have an opinion I played at a decent level in my twenty’s played with some ex pro’s who just loved playing the game. I would be frustrated playing along side him he never looks up to see what’s around him. Head down and runs that’s his game from when I first watched him to date. His pace and that technique worked at lower level PL defenders are to switched on.

Oh blimey sorry for being so knobby; it must grate with a semi-pro like yourself. Obviously the best idea when we are so light up top is to whine about him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And the two pictures he’s posted on his Instagram after the game last night are of him diving / getting fouled.

He really doesn’t help himself.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Oh blimey sorry for being so knobby; it must grate with a semi-pro like yourself. Obviously the best idea when we are so light up top is to whine about him.
First three games Burnley had a hissy and got dropped, Watford same old crap, Everton injured in the warm up he gives us nothing. The dreamers can dream and live in hope, personally I would rather have kept the Swiss lad better footballer IMO.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
First three games Burnley had a hissy and got dropped, Watford same old crap, Everton injured in the warm up he gives us nothing. The dreamers can dream and live in hope, personally I would rather have kept the Swiss lad better footballer IMO.

A bit harsh. I think if they could get him to hit the net a bit more, there's quite a useful striker there somewhere.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Agree, I wish we would have kept Zeqiri instead of this waste of space. Useless. I'm still in disbelief that the club think he's good enough to be one of our 3 strikers. Still trying to get my head around the fact we've not signed a striker. A real shame

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Agree, I wish we would have kept Zeqiri instead of this waste of space. Useless. I'm still in disbelief that the club think he's good enough to be one of our 3 strikers. Still trying to get my head around the fact we've not signed a striker. A real shame

Zeqiri has scored 1 goal in 482 minutes played for the 1st team.

Connolly has scored 6 goals in 2299 minutes,i.e. 1 goal in every 383 minutes...

:shrug:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Zeqiri has scored 1 goal in 482 minutes played for the 1st team.

Connolly has scored 6 goals in 2299 minutes,i.e. 1 goal in every 383 minutes...

:shrug:

Lol 6 goals in 2299 mins.... I mean, it’s a rather flimsy endorsement !

Hmmmmmmm

Maybe the truth of the matter is that they’re both not quite up to it? However of the two, Andi tries harder and imho has a more varied game - thus I would have preferred him to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here