Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to back Aaron.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That said, I think he desperately needs a loan spell somewhere at a team that suits his game where he can be tested. The likes of Dominic Calvert Lewin benefited from their time at lower league clubs. He needs that now. Get him out of the door and playing for Plymouth or the like. He needs to play for a half decent team where the expectation will be high (some pressure) and he can earn his stripes. Come back a more insightful footballer with a little more maturity about him.
This in spades - I think it should have been done now, last year, two years ago - but definately done at some time! I'm baffled that the club haven't done it (whether he likes the idea or not) and lord knows I've posted to that effect pretty much all of the last couple of years too!
However, it is what it is - we can't loan him now, a). because the window has closed and b). because we've got no-one else left to be third choice striker, so, as per the OP's suggestion, it's time to get behind him. So come on Aaron, get your head down and prove us all wrong (and prove the manager to be right!)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Reading some of the comments on here you’d be under the impression that there’s a cauldron of hate each time Connolly enters the pitch, which for those of us that do attend games know is just not the case.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Whoever is wearing the stripes and has the backing of the manager to go out and do a job, I'll get behind and support. Simple as that :shrug:

Slagging them off isn't going to help the team, the player or even the person doing the slagging.

i had an idea ( before we let AJ, Tau, Andone and Zeqiri go!, probably missed the boat now) Maybe he could do a short spell back in the U23s where hopefully he will start banging in a few goals again to build confidence. Make him acting team captain for the U23s too. This would hopefully make him more of a team player and he would have to actually follow the ball around rather than at times standing still waiting for the ball to come to him. That little bit of experience cant do him any harm. As i say short spell, maybe 3/4 games.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Reading some of the comments on here you’d be under the impression that there’s a cauldron of hate each time Connolly enters the pitch, which for those of us that do attend games know is just not the case.

More a cauldron of antipathy.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
loaning out basically every other striker and not going all in on a replacement is a bit of a vote of confidence for Connolly from Potter

time for him to step up and repay that faith

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The international break couldn't have come at a better time for Connolly. With 3 matches in a week he will get more football than he's had for months and hopefully play himself into some form.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Players go out on loan to further career. Maybe has no confidence that he will perform well at a lower league club and has refused to be loaned out. Therefore happy to pick up his PL money until end of contract

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I can understand why fans are questioning Aarons ability, even preferring Locadia as an option up front. as I have doubted his ability and lack of goals.

However I feel maybe we are taking our frustrations out on young Aaron unnecessarily, it seems he is taking all the flack for the lack of a recognised striker incoming.
Yes he has not set the world alight ever since his fabulous double against Tottenham, however he does make intelligent runs which are not always seen by team mates. He clearly has a desire to work hard and fight for his place in the first team, that cannot be denied.

He is raw, and maybe the reason he has not gone out on loan is, the coaching staff recognise this and see far more than we do, otherwise I am sure he would have been shipped out.

Time to get behind the young man, and support him, we have one great example of another striker belittled by supporters who is till banging them in, Ashley Barnes....

Let's not make the same mistake..

Nothing worse than groans from fan's when the ball gets played to his feet, that is not going to help build his confidence or help the team for that matter.

He is young, far from home, and willing to prove himself, how many other young expensive talents have fallen or failed to deliver with expensive price tags.
It was not long ago fans were crying out for Brewster...
Brewster or Connolly !!

Connolly all day long..

So come on, he is home grown, and something to be proud of, Let's get behind him folks....

Well thought out and appreciate your comments but can't agree. The Doyle article was nail on the head. Comparing him to Ashley Barnes is not fair. Barnes was much more prolific than Connolly has been. Does he have potential? Yes. Has he had injuries which may have knocked him back? Yes? Can he still turn it round? Yes

BUT.... Has he had numerous chances, more than most kids at his age get? Yes. Does he seem to have a brittle confidence? Yes. Can we really on him to get the goals? No.

I'd be happy if he was striker number 4 but striker number 3 is almost guaranteed to be on the bench and come on... to run around a lot?

When we need goals.

p.s. I don't want us to get ride of him but until he gets regular time in the championship he won't make it IMHO.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We could play my Nan up front and give her all the polite applause and cheers of encouragement in the world, but she's not going to score 10 goals a season in the PL.

Fair do's. Now, how would she feel about slotting in at left back?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Fair do's. Now, how would she feel about slotting in at left back?

We've got a cockroach in that position. Who needs a gramma.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

I agree with that. Yes we get frustrated with missed sitters from him...as we do Pascal's shot at the keeper, Maupay's miss-timed run, Leo's over cooked dribbles and Solly's final ball used to make me look away.

Is it okay to criticise them here? Yes.
Is it okay to get frustrated? Yes.
Do we get behind them all on match day? Yes I think we do.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
One thing this thread has, unsurprisingly revealed is the hope from most of us is there, but the jury is out on whether he'll make that step up to make the contribution we need...goals. Whatever backing him or not actually means, it feels like there is enough good will and support for the lad not to have a thread of worry about it. Lord knows we supported CMS because he was a nice bloke, with nice hair who could run...but scored diddly. We have form in supporting strikers who don't score...we can afford the occasional off day given our run of strikers over the years. God bless him...we hope he's made of the right stuff. We'll know by March.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Think frustration on here is that we are left with Connolly when we have let go better players

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
[If he contributes, works hard and keeps his head down then he won't get any criticism from Brighton fans.]

If he's constantly in the paper for the wrong reasons and not contributing on the pitch, the fans will make their feelings known.

I wish him all the best.

Tell that to Ashley Barnes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's a big difference between in the ground and on social media. In the ground we need to back the whole team. The more noise, the more support, the better they tend to play.

Reading this you'd think the whole crowd booed Connolly every time he touches the ball. They don't. In fact, against Getafe, the North Stand sang his name all night. OK, they were talking about his shagging prowess* rather than his football prowess but it certainly wasn't boos.

*actually, this is one of the problems.

However, everyone's a critic these days whether it's Trip Adviser or Facebook or NSC. And Connolly is playing with the big boys. I would hope that people feel they can give an honest appraisal in online debate, whoever the player and whatever the team. No one is forcing AC to read his Insta replies or log on to NSC. But, on the pitch, he will see it and hear it.

An analogy. A new fine dining restaurant is opened in the same postcode as a three star gaff with a six month waiting list and the most on-trend place in the city. A critic comes into the new place which is trying to compete at this high level. The food is ok but a bit more miss that hit. The service takes too long and the price is not what is expected. But not only is it not terrible, it's far better than any non-chef could do. So would you expect the reviewer to boo the waiter, tear up the bill and march into the kitchen and call the Chef a c***? No. But would you expect them to write an honest review, including the weaknesses and how they might be overcome, perhaps with a suggestion that they move to a postcode where their only competition is a couple of kebab houses and a Chinese? I think so.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree. Generally. After the next time he ****s up publicly, falls out with Potter, etc, you'll quietly agree with me but always have that nagging sadness knowing you were wrong in this thread.

He's not good enough to be starting in the PL. We could play my Nan up front and give her all the polite applause and cheers of encouragement in the world, but she's not going to score 10 goals a season in the PL.

Get a grip.

Can I suggest that your Nan asks her Agent to get in touch with Derby County - The Manager there has a preference for ''Players'' of your Nan's ilk :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here