Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to back Aaron.....

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I can understand why fans are questioning Aarons ability, even preferring Locadia as an option up front. as I have doubted his ability and lack of goals.

However I feel maybe we are taking our frustrations out on young Aaron unnecessarily, it seems he is taking all the flack for the lack of a recognised striker incoming.
Yes he has not set the world alight ever since his fabulous double against Tottenham, however he does make intelligent runs which are not always seen by team mates. He clearly has a desire to work hard and fight for his place in the first team, that cannot be denied.

He is raw, and maybe the reason he has not gone out on loan is, the coaching staff recognise this and see far more than we do, otherwise I am sure he would have been shipped out.

Time to get behind the young man, and support him, we have one great example of another striker belittled by supporters who is till banging them in, Ashley Barnes....

Let's not make the same mistake..

Nothing worse than groans from fan's when the ball gets played to his feet, that is not going to help build his confidence or help the team for that matter.

He is young, far from home, and willing to prove himself, how many other young expensive talents have fallen or failed to deliver with expensive price tags.
It was not long ago fans were crying out for Brewster...
Brewster or Connolly !!

Connolly all day long..

So come on, he is home grown, and something to be proud of, Let's get behind him folks....
I am no fan of Connolly but have never attended a game where supporters were not 100% behind him and am sure this will continue to be the case. It is on the forum that people give opinion of his ability which is fair enough. It is not just about goals scored but his all round game is very limited. Most of time just looking for through balls to run on to and arms in air when he doesnt get it. This is very easy to cope with at this level and is very easy to mark. Unfair to compare to Barnes who made a far greater contribution. Just frustrating he has gone backwards as he has had loads of chances. Looking like he will be much needed this season so lets hope he adds something to his game. Instead of just looking for through balls needs to learn also to bring others into play and play across front line ,not just in the inside left position. Would help if able to use left foot more. I wish him all the best

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am no fan of Connolly but have never attended a game where supporters were not 100% behind him and am sure this will continue to be the case. It is on the forum that people give opinion of his ability which is fair enough. It is not just about goals scored but his all round game is very limited. Most of time just looking for through balls to run on to and arms in air when he doesnt get it. This is very easy to cope with at this level and is very easy to mark. Unfair to compare to Barnes who made a far greater contribution. Just frustrating he has gone backwards as he has had loads of chances. Looking like he will be much needed this season so lets hope he adds something to his game. Instead of just looking for through balls needs to learn also to bring others into play and play across front line ,not just in the inside left position. Would help if able to use left foot more. I wish him all the best

If you're going to compare him to Barnes, it's worth remembering that Barnes was playing in the third division when he was 21.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m puzzled .
Why is it ok to be worthy about backing Connolly and be snide about locadia , in the same post ?

Apart from anything, we may well need them both.

Last edited:

boik

Anyone who watched him regularly in the U23s will know what he's got. The goal against Luton (yes I know, lower standard of defending) shows what his attributes are.

Yes, it's a big step up, and yes he's a bit lost at the moment, but I think he CAN come good in time. Whether he will or not depends mostly upon himself, but also on those who support him.

I'm hoping he's just doing what a lot of young lads do and will quickly realise it's time to change.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll back Aaron Connolly when he comes on, but he simply has to start putting gilt edged opportunities away.

He has scored 5 goals in 42 appearances.

By contrast Andone has scored 4 goals in 26 appearances.

Connolly's shooting accuracy is 37% compared to Andone's 45% - slim differences, but important.

Andone has had 20 shots with 9 on target.
Connolly has had 62 shots with 23 on target.

Andone has missed 3 big chances. Connolly, 11.

These are all fine margins, but these fine margins could be the difference between us getting another few vital points.

Connolly is not the long term answer but he's here and he's what we've got. We need him to get those chances that do fall to him put away. This is surely his last chance to show he can perform, so let's hope he takes it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Actually, it’s not just time to back Connolly, it’s time to back Locadia too.

Odd how we are told to back some players whilst others take all kinds of crap very little reason (apart from some odd resentment about him DJing).

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I really don't think he waits in anticipation for our collective backing. Like all PL players he's guided on how to manage social media sentiment and fans emotions. He's a pro at the highest level. It doesn't need an NSC pact to transform his abilities. We had players at Withdean who were feet away from their own fans hurling abuse at them...which I in no way condone...but despite the meagre salary and the horrid abuse from the stand they played on. You don't need to shield today's players from fan frustration and criticism...it often drives a player train harder and push on.

boik

I'll back Aaron Connolly when he comes on, but he simply has to start putting gilt edged opportunities away.

Connolly's shooting accuracy is 37% compared to Andone's 45% - slim differences, but important.

These are all fine margins, but these fine margins could be the difference between us getting another few vital points.

Connolly is not the long term answer but he's here and he's what we've got. We need him to get those chances that do fall to him put away. This is surely his last chance to show he can perform, so let's hope he takes it.

The thing is, he MIGHT be the long term answer. He's still very young and raw and immature in lots of ways. He SHOULD get better. Andone is as good as he's going to get probably.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Andone’s stats whilst under Hughton in the Prem so largely I’m a hyper defensive team too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Andone was 25 when he came to Brighton, so four years older than Connolly is now. Maybe somewhere around 300-400 hours of training per year, so lets say 350 x 5. 1750 hours, or 105 000 more minutes of practising those skills. He also had some 110 high level games under his belt when he came.

Things like that make a difference. Players usually improve with practice, which is why you will often find that most starting players in the PL are around 25 years +, rather than around 20.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Odd how we are told to back some players whilst others take all kinds of crap very little reason (apart from some odd resentment about him DJing).

Jurgen turns 28 in November, thats the big difference. He should be at his best now and should have been for the last few years. Its not weird to accept the concept of having little belief in him turning into a great PL striker, while telling those slagging off Aaron to take a ****ing chill pill.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Locadia given a chance considering our very limited options..Like most I think Connolly needed a loan, I don't think he's ready yet but I'm far from writing him off and would back either of them.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Jurgen turns 28 in November, thats the big difference. He should be at his best now and should have been for the last few years. Its not weird to accept the concept of having little belief in him turning into a great PL striker, while telling those slagging off Aaron to take a ****ing chill pill.

Or just back all players, regardless of anything else.
We don’t have enough strikers not to.
I’m pretty sure locadia would get a decent reception if he came on.
And even though Connolly likes to play the victim, he gets a lot of love at games too

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not heard any flak at games aimed at him, obvious groans as another chance goes begging. That a natural reaction whoever misses though and lets be honest it's heard at all games concerning all teams.

Poster's comments on here, on a fans forum, where we all have our views would be pointless if they are just sanitised tripe.

He has managed to draw attention to himself off the field on a few occasions, he would probably got away with a lot more if he was producing the goods alas he hasn't. TBH I couldn't give a toss if he wants act a fool off the pitch, it's his on field abilities/attitude I comment on. Looking to fall over all the time, irritates the hell out of me, lack of moving defenders about, lack of a left foot and finally no clinical edge.

I hope he succeeds but do have my doubts.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Andone was 25 when he came to Brighton, so four years older than Connolly is now. Maybe somewhere around 300-400 hours of training per year, so lets say 350 x 5. 1750 hours, or 105 000 more minutes of practising those skills. He also had some 110 high level games under his belt when he came.

Things like that make a difference. Players usually improve with practice, which is why you will often find that most starting players in the PL are around 25 years +, rather than around 20.

Yeah this is an important point, as is the fact that Andone suffered career affecting injuries.
The club have made the sensible choice, that Connolly will reach the levels Andone was at at 25, whereas Andone's best days are gone.

If the club are happy that Connolly will develop at the required rate, in the first team, then I trust them with that judgement.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Actually, it’s not just time to back Connolly, it’s time to back Locadia too.

I could back you, and sing non stop...... Wouldnt help if you simply weren't good enough for this level, which is 100% the case with Locadia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here