Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to announce the truth about Dale Stephens.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think the club should do what they think is best for the club. I don't need to be told everything.

Because presumably a Stephens with his head elsewhere was still better than the alternative backup player on the bench.
Which begs the question....who would have been the alternative back up player

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
CH Replying to question on Sky: 'we want to keep our best players.'. Reply to next question: 'we want to keep our best players.'. Obvious that DS stays until replacement sorted. How much more truth do you need? Pritchard stuck on M25 clearly screwed up Plan A, club actively working on Plan B/C etc.

DS will know score, club will be clear that he can f*** around until Weds, if he can be replaced great, if not he plays and plays well until Jan in order to keep his transfer options open (Burnley/Palace won't want a player with splinters in his bum). End of.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How the hell would I know?

But if you want me to guess. Palace

Believe me, if Palace had put a bid in, this place would be crawling with their fans, and so would Twitter.

When a bid comes in from whatever club, then I agree Stephens would go, as long as it's a Premier League club. Until then, he isn't going anywhere.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
CH Replying to question on Sky: 'we want to keep our best players.'. Reply to next question: 'we want to keep our best players.'. Obvious that DS stays until replacement sorted. How much more truth do you need? Pritchard stuck on M25 clearly screwed up Plan A, club actively working on Plan B/C etc.

DS will know score, club will be clear that he can f*** around until Weds, if he can be replaced great, if not he plays and plays well unit Jan in order to keep his transfer options open (Burnley/Palace won't want a player with splinters in his bum). End of.

He will be gone wait and see

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't the old thread good enough?

No. Threads that drag on and on for weeks lose everyone's interest. A new thread is needed priodically to restore interest in the subject.

The Stephens thing has cost us points for sure. We would have beaten Reading with him in the starting X1 and probably managed at least a point today. Frankly I am getting very very pissed off about it.

The major reason for our outstanding season in 2015/16 was our central midfield pairing. Now it looks as though we're losing one of them. For what? So he can earn more money and play in the Prem? Why didn't we match any offer salary-wise? Maybe he would have stayed and helped Brighton reach the Premier League rather than jumping ship?

Angry. Angry. Angry.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Fishing? Off his rocker? Agree?

Take your pick

Well being a cynic......£3.5m on a defender might have to be funded via a sale.....clearly £200m investment elsewhere is not enough...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. Threads that drag on and on for weeks lose everyone's interest. A new thread is needed priodically to restore interest in the subject.

The Stephens thing has cost us points for sure. We would have beaten Reading with him in the starting X1 and probably managed at least a point today. Frankly I am getting very very pissed off about it.

The major reason for our outstanding season in 2015/16 was our central midfield pairing. Now it looks as though we're losing one of them. For what? So he can earn more money and play in the Prem? Why didn't we match any offer salary-wise? Maybe he would have stayed and helped Brighton reach the Premier League rather than jumping ship?

Angry. Angry. Angry.

We've got no chance of matching Premier wages.

We didn't beat Reading last season when Stephens was playing so I doubt he would have made a difference.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Probably, but if we wish to cash in whatever, we would have done so already. This is classic Lizard poker playing with transfer market. I don't think he will go unless we get a quality replacement. Remember Buckley?

I think it's more of a case our valuation hasn't been met. Clubs will now start to get desperate.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Based on today's performance Norwood is better than Sidwell, but neither as good as Stephens. Which is a worry.

I think we have to face the reality of DS/BK duo ruling midfield is finished. Even if DS stays I doubt he will be as effective as last season. These magical combinations have a short shelf life, this one ended after 60 minutes at Riverside. We have to move on and find a new supremo.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The Stephens thing has cost us points for sure. We would have beaten Reading with him in the starting X1 and probably managed at least a point today.

Is the key point for me. How can there be any way back for a player who by all accounts has cost us points whichever way you look at it? He may not have refused to play, but he has let himself be distracted enough that CH feels pressured to bed-in other options and plan ahead without him. Norwood is a good option but not a suitable replacement, and we haven't even been playing him, we've played Sidwell. I like Sidwell, but let's be honest, how can we honestly compare him to an in-his-prime Stephens whose partnership with Kayal was the key factor in our success last season?

I'm a bit disappointed it has dragged on this far and has detrimentally affected us in 2 league matches, one being a big game against promotion rivals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was obvious today Kayal needs him there as he has no understanding with either Norwood or Sidwell. I am afraid that unless something is sorted very soon , which it will be obviously by Wednesday, those 2 will become the butt of criticism of the fans as neither link with Kayal as well as Stephens.

Nonsense. Complete nonsense. Norwood looked great. Sid was good. Kayal was better later on. Stephens was missed, though, but because he wasn't there, not because the three aforementioned stood there crying and weeing and everything went to bollocks as a consequence :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here