Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time the F.A sorted this out

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The FA will not do a thing. Just like they did not do a thing after the abject rubbish which was served up at the last Euros, and SA, and the Euros before that, and Germany 2006 etc etc. The English set up is rotten to the core and all the time supporters lap up Sky TV and continue this blind support for the national team and all the while clubs pay utterly ridiculous amounts of money to very very average players nothing will change.

I've been saying this for 12 years now.

Yeah I can't disagree with any of this.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
1994 should have been the wake up call.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If you don't have the coaching structure you don't know who the best kids are though.

I am not sure about that, I have seen up close which players are being picked.

The really good ones are never overlooked, where it becomes blurred is the slightly lesser players that perhaps get an opportunity ahead of a good few others of similar ability.

This then becomes a stick for parents to beat the scouting systems, but the really good ones will not be overlooked at any age group.

Frankly I think the pro clubs suck in far too many kids that although quite good are always likely to be released with the associated disappointment followed by the resentment of the injustice of it all !!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agree 100%. We should vastly reduce the number of non-European players NOW and when we leave the EU we can do the same with European players.

And how does the FA gain the neccessary support from the PL to do this?

If they even try one of two things will happen either the PL will win a legal challenge or the PL will encourage their members to stop their player playing for the England National team.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Your first point is spot on.

We could circumnavigate the rules on restrictions by simply sponsoring teams that play more English players.

Money talks in the Premiership, the majority are not interested in winning but coming fourth just to get more revenue. How about a FA sponsored (money via a good old English business, if there is one!) that any club who fields on average more than 50% English players through the season receives a bonus of £30 million. It may appeal to the Everton's of this World. It will not however restrict anyone who wants to "buy" the Premiership with jolly foreigners.

The same could apply to English players in the academies, each player is subsidised by the fa. These subsidies are to be financed by a levy placed on all clubs.

Damn good idea....

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think the main problem is clubs like Chelsea and Man City, who spend millions on their Academy, then do not put any young players in their squads and teams and continue with their policy of buying expensive Jonny Foreigner's. How are we supposed to produce young good British players, when they have to go down the leagues and end up in 'lower' standard football. Only a very few make it and even fewer get brought back into the Premiership. Germany sorted out their system a few years back and now look at them. What is the answer, not sure, but maybe ensure that Prem squads have to have say 6 players that are home grown, although I am sure the likes of Chelsea and Man City, will find a way around it. Last night was very poor, no real technique and beaten by an average team, with only one real world class player. Think we should start all over again, with a new manager and new squad for the Euros, get rid of the old ones and try with some of the new players. Rant over

But why should Man City or Chelsea do anything to support the England national team. What's in it for them?

Why do people expect the Premier League or the clubs to offer charity to the England National team? What's it got to do with them? How does it help them achieve their aims?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It doesn't matter, the FA ceased to control football in this country a long time ago. The Premier League wouldn't stand for it.

The only way this would ever happen is if the PL started losing money as a result of the national team's poor performance, I don't really see that happening any time soon.

Is the right answer!

Will the PL cut back on foreigners?

pigs.bmp-for-web.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Your first point is spot on.

We could circumnavigate the rules on restrictions by simply sponsoring teams that play more English players.

Money talks in the Premiership, the majority are not interested in winning but coming fourth just to get more revenue. How about a FA sponsored (money via a good old English business, if there is one!) that any club who fields on average more than 50% English players through the season receives a bonus of £30 million. It may appeal to the Everton's of this World. It will not however restrict anyone who wants to "buy" the Premiership with jolly foreigners.

The same could apply to English players in the academies, each player is subsidised by the fa. These subsidies are to be financed by a levy placed on all clubs.

Because the FA is skint and because £30m is chicken feed in comparison to what's on offer from the Premier League and the Champions League.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm pretty convinced that the best way to help the National Team would be for us all to cancel our Sky subscriptions overnight. Sky can't pay the PL, the PL has to fold, loads of clubs will go bust and we'll have to start again with less of a focus on greed and a greater focus on building a struture encouraging homegrown talent and genuine competition amongst the clubs.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You know what, I am pretty pleased with England's progress. Yes we haven't won anything, but we have attack-minded youngsters that are trying to play the right way. The only shame is that we have an aging and rubbish defence.

I don't know about ageing:

Hart: 27
Johnson: 29
Baines:29
Jagielka: 31
Cahill:28

I'd say those are good ages for defenders, possibly at or nearing their peak. Perhaps that's the problem...their peak is 'mediocre'.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It is not possible under current law to restrict the employment of any EU national. There are restrictions on non-EU players in that they usually need to be international class to get a work permit; however this is easy to get around by finding a Portuguese or Spanish granny and qualifying for an EU passport - this is how Ulloa can play for us.

That may be the case for 'normal' people looking for work, but footballers don't apply for jobs, bar touting themselves in the media, so the normal EU rules don't apply. Even if they did, I'm sure they could be easily circumvented.

However, this is an irrelevance as the real problem is the horrific shortfall in the number of decent coaches. The cost of coaching courses in this country is criminal. There was a table (I'll see if I can find it) with the numbers of coaches in top European countries and the cost of the courses. It succinctly showed why football in this country is f***ed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am not sure about that, I have seen up close which players are being picked.

The really good ones are never overlooked, where it becomes blurred is the slightly lesser players that perhaps get an opportunity ahead of a good few others of similar ability.

This then becomes a stick for parents to beat the scouting systems, but the really good ones will not be overlooked at any age group.

I'm not sure this is true. My son is a decent player, next year he'll be one of three year 5 players in his school team. But that school team has football practice for about 35 minutes every week (and even that is cancelled at regular intervals) and, perhaps, a game a month. My son would love play for a weekend team but there aren't any local ones with any spare places.

My son's OK but he's no Messi but the point is, if he were a second Messi, there's little chance that he would be noticed. Until there's regular football at schools and proper, regular coaching, there will always be a chance that good players could fall through the system.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm pretty convinced that the best way to help the National Team would be for us all to cancel our Sky subscriptions overnight. Sky can't pay the PL, the PL has to fold, loads of clubs will go bust and we'll have to start again with less of a focus on greed and a greater focus on building a struture encouraging homegrown talent and genuine competition amongst the clubs.

I suggested this after the last debacle and was told in no uncertain terms to wind my neck in - think people need their Sky fix too much

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I suggested this after the last debacle and was told in no uncertain terms to wind my neck in - think people need their Sky fix too much

Thing is we were pretty rubbish between 1967 and 1993 as well weren't we and we can't blame Sky for that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Until some other country developed a strong league as the PL, our national team is doomed. Its a pure feeding freezy and only so many English players can get their noses in the trough.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Until some other country developed a strong league as the PL, our national team is doomed. Its a pure feeding freezy and only so many English players can get their noses in the trough.

There's plenty stronger or at the same level

There's none RICHER. Make of that what you will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here