Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Time is of the essence for this cancer sufferer - if you can, please help

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Signed , beats me how somebody can sit in a office reviewing the budget and casually decide a lifesaving drug is not cost effective , disgusting .

Good luck

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Signed , beats me how somebody can sit in a office reviewing the budget and casually decide a lifesaving drug is not cost effective , disgusting .

Good luck

So given NHS England also has to balance the books like any other business, which treatment are you going to stop?

Whilst it shouldn't come to this, the bottom line is that it does, so it is slightly short-sighted to say an Administrator in an office etc....... I know for a fact there is nothing casual about it.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Good luck

Given that as a nation we have decided to limit NHS funding (the parties only differ on the level of funding and structuring of the NHS) then someone has to sit in an office and decide how this is achieved.
It seems very petty to abuse someone doing a vital and difficult job.
While I feel for the woman in question and all persons suffering from serious illness or injury I do not sign any of these petitions as by shifting funding towards one group all I am effectively contributing to is shifting death and suffering from one group to another.
I know it is far easier for people to focus on individuals, it is far more tangible and a difference can be made that is immediately noticeable, but instead I would urge people to try and consider the wider issues of healthcare and that up until the damaging restructure by the government we had the most efficient health service in the world, even with the damaging PFI contracts endorsed by both labour and the Conservatives.
NICE is a vital part of providing universal healthcare at a cost we the taxpayers are prepared to countenance, if you want them to have less life and death decisions to make then campaign for greater NHS funding.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Given that as a nation we have decided to limit NHS funding (the parties only differ on the level of funding and structuring of the NHS) then someone has to sit in an office and decide how this is achieved.
While I feel for the woman in question and all persons suffering from serious illness or injury I do not sign any of these petitions as by shifting funding towards one group all I am effectively contributing to is shifting death and suffering from one group to another.
I know it is far easier for people to focus on individuals, it is far more tangible and a difference can be made that is immediately noticeable, but instead I would urge people to try and consider the wider issues of healthcare and that up until the damaging restructure by the government we had the most efficient health service in the world, even with the damaging PFI contracts endorsed by both labour and the Conservatives.
NICE is a vital part of providing universal healthcare at a cost we the taxpayers are prepared to countenance, if you want them to have less life and death decisions to make then campaign for greater NHS funding.

Absolutely key point, and my understanding is that once approved the NHS has a certain amount of time to offer the treatment concerned.

I've been following this thread from my bed in the Cancer Unit at the RSCH in Guildford where I have been residing again this week. My treatments over the last 8-9 years have been impacted by similar cost concerns/limitations, and were today; however, I find myself in agreement with the above poster. If no assessment of cost/benefit is applied to medical treatments then any budgeting is rendered totally pointless and the expenditure will just run out of control. To be clear, NICE (The National Institute for Clinical Excellance) seems never to have approved this drug for NHS use in any clinical indication. Access has only been possible via the Cancer Drugs Fund which was set up in 2010 during the ill-fated NHS reorganisation to kick this issue into the long grass and stop our politicians having to face up to some harsh realities around the cost of modern healthcare. The CDF was meant to be a temporary measure but nothing has been done to address the underlying issue (ie cost/money) so it's way overspent and now being reigned in. For any patient impacted it's a real p****r but it is down to money in the end.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've been following this thread from my bed in the Cancer Unit at the RSCH in Guildford where I have been residing again this week. My treatments over the last 8-9 years have been impacted by similar cost concerns/limitations, and were today; however, I find myself in agreement with the above poster. If no assessment of cost/benefit is applied to medical treatments then any budgeting is rendered totally pointless and the expenditure will just run out of control. To be clear, NICE (The National Institute for Clinical Excellance) seems never to have approved this drug for NHS use in any clinical indication. Access has only been possible via the Cancer Drugs Fund which was set up in 2010 during the ill-fated NHS reorganisation to kick this issue into the long grass and stop our politicians having to face up to some harsh realities around the cost of modern healthcare. The CDF was meant to be a temporary measure but nothing has been done to address the underlying issue (ie cost/money) so it's way overspent and now being reigned in. For any patient impacted it's a real p****r but it is down to money in the end.

Sorry to hear your story - all the best mate - stay strong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here