Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time For The Fans To Fight Back

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No disrespect here NE and please correct me if I'm missing your points.

So the way things are going you are probably going to give up your season ticket because of Sky and the ticket prices.
You are going to spend the money on Seagulls Player and will not go to matches.

So BHA are going to lose a ticket buying fan because of Sky and modern football?

I think I will carry on living yesterday, because if this is living today, I'm out.
It worries me that Sky are winning over more and more armchair fans every day.

Well they may lose one ticket buying fan but if we get promoted I suspect there will be a few more that will take his place. That't the modern world.

Good luck with the time machine by the way.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well they may lose one ticket buying fan but if we get promoted I suspect there will be a few more that will take his place. That't the modern world.

Good luck with the time machine by the way.

Thanks for your input Drew.
I'm not happy with BHA losing fans like Ninja Elephant, yes there will be plenty of fans to take his place if we get promoted, but not proper BHA fans.
Look forward to sitting next to a Liverpool, Man Utd etc fan when we play them.

If we do get promoted with your opinion you better pray we stay there, because those new fans that turn up for the PL will disappear very quickly if we go down.
And fans like Ninja and maybe myself * won't be around anymore.

Did you notice the half empty stadium at Cardiff last week?

* I will be at the Goldstone after setting my time machine to 1978 :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks for your input Drew.
I'm not happy with BHA losing fans like Ninja Elephant, yes there will be plenty of fans to take his place if we get promoted, but not proper BHA fans.
Look forward to sitting next to a Liverpool, Man Utd etc fan when we play them.

If we do get promoted with your opinion you better pray we stay there, because those new fans that turn up for the PL will disappear very quickly if we go down.
And fans like Ninja and maybe myself * won't be around anymore.

Did you notice the half empty stadium at Cardiff last week?

* I will be at the Goldstone after setting my time machine to 1978 :)

Luckily for me I sit next to BHA fans so no empty seats there to fill with plastics. That said, there were empty seats at Withdean but with the average crowds we get now we could fill that two and half times over. Does that mean all of them additional fans are plastics! I don't think so. If we were playing in the Amex in league two then we wouldn't have the crowds we have now.

For the record, I would prefer die hard fans to stay but with success comes the probability that games will be moved. I can't see that changing.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Forward thinking would remove most if not all of those lost costs.
Book a hotel where you are able to cancel up to 24 hours before booked date with no deposit.
Travel by car or coach so no need to rebook if moved.
Cancel work holiday ans rearrange for new date.
If you must travel by train purchase out ticket to arrive in time fot 1230 ko so no lost money and then open return.

Its not difficult to avoid lising money. But hey in todays society we are all victims and myst habe compensation for the smallest inconvenience

If you had bought tickets for a West End show or a holiday they couldn't just change the date at the last minute. Everyone else in this value chain gets recompensed for their losses or inconvenience except the fans. I can understand the business model here I just object to one group being so clearly excluded and there being so many people who are prepared to accept it. The clubs, the FL and Sky see this as a commercial arrangement but we are expected to see being a fan as an act of love. It is the exploitation of this imbalance that pisses me off.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sky didn't pay for our stadium or training centre. If lower league clubs are unsustainable they should cut their cloth accordingly.

I don't think the premier league is any more entertaining than division 1 was. If anything it is less as it is so predictable (don't say what about Leicester as once in 35 years doesn't change anything).

Not yet but if we do get to the PL it may well end up doing so.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No disrespect here NE and please correct me if I'm missing your points.

So the way things are going you are probably going to give up your season ticket because of Sky and the ticket prices.
You are going to spend the money on Seagulls Player and will not go to matches.

So BHA are going to lose a ticket buying fan because of Sky and modern football?

I think I will carry on living yesterday, because if this is living today, I'm out.
It worries me that Sky are winning over more and more armchair fans every day.

No, not BECAUSE of Sky, or ticket prices. Both are factors, Sky enable me to watch more games on the TV which is a factor but it's not the most important in a decision I might make to not renew, same with the ticket prices. I can afford to pay the monthly DD, but I'm not sure if I want to. I've found myself not really enjoying the experience of going to the matches for a while and I have to weigh up whether I want to spend £600 and committing myself to another full season of matches or whether I want to take a step back, go see the games I want to and just watch highlights for the ones I choose not to go to.

I've been living yesterday, going to the football because I've always done it but now I'm thinking about the wider picture and I'm thinking about whether I really need to attend every home game. I've no concerns about being labeled an armchair fan, I've grown up watching Sky Sports and all the live football they show. Football has changed since my first season in 97/98 at Gillingham and I've changed as a person from that 11 year old kid enjoying the bus ride to Gillingham.

Something for me to consider, as every fan gets to consider at this time of year. Do I want to commit myself to another season? Decision time, with all of the factors considered. My time machine would be set to 1998, it's been quite a ride at this club!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
What on earth are you talking about in your first sentence? I can assure you that I am living today and not yesterday, as you put it.

First off, I am a fan of Brighton and Hove Albion. I purchased a season ticket because I would like to go to as many matches as possible to support my team. By having my season ticket I have contributed financially to the club I love. I also have a season ticket because it is a damn sight cheaper per game than your recommendation of purchasing individual match tickets. By about 30% by my reckoning.

Secondly, to discuss your point about being "smart". I have booked advanced train tickets to go to Preston for Albion's away fixture next week. I have saved probably around £80 in the actual cost against a standard return fare. I have done this because it is the "smart" thing to do - would you not agree? Believe it or not many other Albion fans have also been "smart" and have executed the same strategy.

What is not "smart" is to have made all these arrangements and then to have them scuppered on the the whim of some television company.

But then I suppose we could do what you seem to imply, sit at home watch on the Seagulls Player all the re-runs of matches, and even, maybe in the future, a live game. Wow! All the home comforts and I'll make my own clacker as well. No thank you, I'm a football fan not a TV addict or a "consumer", so I won't be giving up my guaranteed seat and I won't be following your lead of a better option.

These tobys who are telling us the smart thing to do about buying train tkts have obviously never bought one themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here