Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Time for Parliamentary change ?

What do you think we should do ?

• Build a new Parliament with buttons

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • Pay Billions so we can carry on queuing for the Lobbies

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I'm sorry I don't understand the question

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have been arguing that the current Houses of Parliament and no longer fit for purpose and spending billions on trying to make it fit is money wasted instead I proposed that a hotel conference centre be built in the Midlands by one of the large hotel chains with living acomadation office space made exclusively available for each MP while in post I am quite keen to reduce MPs expences and not having any need to own a second home is a huge saving, I am also very keen Parliment should be moved away from London I have written to my MP and others but their vested interest in maintaining the status quo means it would need a revolution for it to happen

Is the right answer, but you and I both know why it won't happen :smile:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very badly weighted options, so no way am I going to vote fro any of the alternatives offered.

No, I don't think we should spend a fortune building a new House of Parliament, so leave it as it is - a touch of tradition is fine. Covid-19 (which is relevant at this time) won't last for ever. Parliamentary democracy hopefully will.

As long as nobody tries to illegally prorogue it :wink:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
ROFL - I think I just wet myself laughing.

In seriousness. Back to the Question.

No we must keep the Building as Parliament. It's a beautiful building.

All you need is one of those "Ask the Audience" voting pads they have on who wants to be a Millionaire.

Edit - Did you actually mean Guy Fawkes ?

It is indeed a beautiful and historic building but with no press rooms not enough office space for all the MPs let alone their staff, the chamber its self cannot accommodate all the MPs at the same time it's a nightmare to keep safe and a fortune to maintain I say it should be handed over to the National Trust to run as a tourist attraction and move Parliment to a new modern set of buildings outside of London

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is indeed a beautiful and historic building but with no press rooms not enough office space for all the MPs let alone their staff, the chamber its self cannot accommodate all the MPs at the same time it's a nightmare to keep safe and a fortune to maintain I say it should be handed over to the National Trust to run as a tourist attraction and move Parliment to a new modern set of buildings outside of London

I can't believe there is a single person who has spent any time there, who would think otherwise. (Unless, of course, there are political reasons :wink:)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have been arguing that the current Houses of Parliament and no longer fit for purpose and spending billions on trying to make it fit is money wasted

billions are spent on trying to maintain a world heritage site, it would be maintained at great cost regardless of its use.

im not sure what anyone thinks will be gained by moving the captial to the midlands or elsewhere, it will still contain politicans and various lobbying groups buzzing around.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
billions are spent on trying to maintain a world heritage site, it would be maintained at great cost regardless of its use.

Maintaining it as a 'word heritage site' (your words, not mine) costs a certain amount. Trying to convert it to modern offices with modern comms increases that cost enormously. Then trying to do that, whilst keeping it working as a modern parliament, increases the costs, again by an enormous amount. The figures for each of the three options are in the public arena, and I'll find them tomorrow, if you insist there is no difference.

It’s all there, published and easily referenced :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COVID OR BREXIT

Did did you see the MPs trying to queue up, maintaining social distancing, to take hours to try and carry out a single vote today ?

Isn't it about time (given the huge amount of work that needs doing on the palace of Westminster) that we moved Parliament into a new building where we could vote done in a manner actually reflecting the 20th (let alone 21st Century) and not go through this daily farce of going through the lobbies to get the business of Britain done. You can push a button FFS and get on with the next issue.

How much have they quoted to get all the work done while Parliament sits. Build them a new Hove Town Hall type building and move them out.

Personally, I think Parliament should be moved somewhere up north, then see which of the t***ts want to represent me, when they are based in Preston :lolol:

But, back to reality. should we give the Palace of Westminster back to the people as a museum of how politics used to be done and get a new Parliament Building ?

3 options, It really couldn't be any easier
Just say no, like Zammo.

D

Deleted member 2719

That's why the third option is there. For those who are 'special' like your good self and [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] :lolol:

Happy to meet you up beside the Thames to discuss this on a high tide in the early hours of the morning one day Watford.

:angel:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Voting electronically seems reasonable, rather than doing it by going into a room. However, I do think only MPs there should get that vote unless there are pressing reasons for absence - as otherwise MPs could not bother turning up at all and just phone-in their votes and ignore the debates.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Britain as a country seems unable to understand that you can have rich cultural, historical and political traditions - but that you can also move on from them and remember them in other ways rather than insisting on continuing/revisiting them in a completely anachronistic manner.

So it's a non-starter.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Happy to meet you up beside the Thames to discuss this on a high tide in the early hours of the morning one day Watford.

:angel:

Yipeeeee - Pistols at dawn.

The new or revived pastime. Glad to hear you are least practising " Social Distancing "

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... The figures for each of the three options are in the public arena, and I'll find them tomorrow, if you insist there is no difference.

It’s all there, published and easily referenced :shrug:

i look forward to it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wait until they're all in. Burn the ****ing lot.

Start from scratch.

The revolution will be televised

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Chamber itself is only from the 40s; older parliament chambers have been fitted with in-seat electronic voting quite easily - but that it was rebuilt too small to seat every MP at the time rather buggers that up.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The building isn't the issue. It's the tossers inside it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here