Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for Elvis Manu

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Baldock has got better (quicker) as well. Within a 20% chance of scoring, think of Baldock as a deep lying number 10 and then his low strike rate is not so bad.

I hope we keep Manu as I see him as a speed merchant on the bench right now. Depends on the opposition whether he or Baldock should come on, or Lualua, or Jamie Murphy.

I don't really know where this "he's a number 10" talk comes from. He isn't. He rarely ever plays as an orthodox number 10 for us.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Think i've seen all Elvis's appearances at the Amex and Lancing. The offside thing is a real problem and happens because he just saunters back when we are not in possession. He is often out of position - noticable at the Colchester match that CH had to keep shouting at him to get in position. He has poor attitude - noticeable yesterday that during his goal non-celebration few of the other players seemed to rush to him. He's got good stats this season because he's not played against anyone very good. I have been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but i'm now firmly in the 'get rid' camp. I can see why he was bought, but it just hasn't worked out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't really know where this "he's a number 10" talk comes from. He isn't. He rarely ever plays as an orthodox number 10 for us.

More a false number 9. Baldock comes deep sometimes and could go wide (although Murray did this when playing with Hemed). WA kept on moaning about Baldock coming deep on the radio. I think he has to do this to avoid the central defender.

I think I like Knocky as number 10 more. But positions are fluid and Baldock is good at running around a lot. Got to find space to receive the ball or finding space to run into.

My objections to Baldock was that he was not really quick enough, but he seems to have speeded up a bit. Depends on the speed of the opposition a lot. I think Manu is quicker.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Think you are confusing him with Lua Lua

I thought Elvis looked sharp, easily out sprinted the Oxford defenders a number of times and wasn't offside as much (interesting decision giving him offside in our own half excluded). On another night he could have had 4 or 5 goals, there keeper saved well an number of times.

BUT it was against a relatively poor team

He was awful. Last night was the perfect opportunity to score a hatful and stake a claim. Plenty of chances, no hatful, no claim staked. Hard to know who was the most woeful last night; Ince, Holla or Manu but if I never see any of them again it'll be too soon.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
More a false number 9. Baldock comes deep sometimes and could go wide (although Murray did this when playing with Hemed). WA kept on moaning about Baldock coming deep on the radio. I think he has to do this to avoid the central defender.

I think I like Knocky as number 10 more. But positions are fluid and Baldock is good at running around a lot. Got to find space to receive the ball or finding space to run into.

My objections to Baldock was that he was not really quick enough, but he seems to have speeded up a bit. Depends on the speed of the opposition a lot. I think Manu is quicker.

To be honest, if Solly comes back at the standard he was pre-injury last year, then there's no reason Knocky couldn't play behind a striker with March to the right.

I still don't think Baldock is a 10 or even a false 9 though. He's a striker that runs the channels and drops deeper without the ball to cut off passing lanes, but when we're attacking he's usually very high up the pitch.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Saved well? Or he just failed to convert 1on1s? He did look quicker than last season and got into a few better positions but he still is no where near clinical enough and his link up play isn't as good as Baldock's.

I only saw Sky's highlights, but there was one (on target) effort that their keeper saved well with his legs.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To be honest, if Solly comes back at the standard he was pre-injury last year, then there's no reason Knocky couldn't play behind a striker with March to the right.

I still don't think Baldock is a 10 or even a false 9 though. He's a striker that runs the channels and drops deeper without the ball to cut off passing lanes, but when we're attacking he's usually very high up the pitch.

I agree. I don't really like the defined numbers. Running into the inside channels without the ball is not very good for Baldock as this is for near post headers. Running into the inside channels with the ball is dangerous though and I'd prefer Knockaert or Lualua or perhaps Manu.

Running off the shoulder of the marking defender or running from deep is where the ability to collect the ball on the half turn and outrun the defender and shoot under pressure where Baldock has not proved he can do it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Think you are confusing him with Lua Lua

I thought Elvis looked sharp, easily out sprinted the Oxford defenders a number of times and wasn't offside as much (interesting decision giving him offside in our own half excluded). On another night he could have had 4 or 5 goals, there keeper saved well an number of times.

BUT it was against a relatively poor team

Agree with this. Lua Lua looked like he couldn't give a shit, was often seen jogging forward on the half way line clearly not bothered about getting forward.

Manu however busted a guy up front, on his own for much of the game and generally I was impressed. May deserve a sub appearance at some point.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with this. Lua Lua looked like he couldn't give a shit, was often seen jogging forward on the half way line clearly not bothered about getting forward.

Manu however busted a guy up front, on his own for much of the game and generally I was impressed. May deserve a sub appearance at some point.

Guess he knows he is already (rightly on what we've seen so far this season) down the pecking order, and if Solly comes back to anything like his pre-injury form KLL has virtually no chance of any first team game time as he'll be at best a 5th choice winger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here