Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for CMS to be dropped or sold

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I will lose an awful lot of faith in Gus if he continues to start CMS after two truly awful performances and one on goal in his last eight games. At present we have signed what can only be describes as a lower league middle distance runner. No end product, no ability to hold the ball and link play, no ability to make intelligent runs, no ability to read the game and get on the end of things. Not purely his fault he isn't a lone striker, however his performances are getting worse rather than better and for his own good and confidence he needs to be taken out of the team and for Hoskins who looked dangerous against Forest and looked very lively today to be given a chance.

Even Dobbie who has looked poor so far deserves a run of sorts as I still feel there is a quality player waiting to burst out he just needs to get his sharpness back.

Even better lets try and cash in I would gladly take 1.5 million and re-invest. His style and ours is never going to gel, unfortunately its a classic case of square pegs and round holes.

Love the fact he tries his heart out but for 2.5 million we should be getting that plus some end product.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
He doesn't make runs because nobody plays him in! He's always behind the defender looking to make runs, then what happens, is we turn around and pass it round. Every time this happens, I can see his head looking at the sky. As you've pointed out, he's not a lone striker. Playing up front by yourself is hard and only really good players can do it. I do feel however, that he does need to have a game from the sidelines. When he last did, he came on and was extremely sharp and somehow his touch improved!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Wrong player for our system, but Crofts and Hammond also suffer from this as well.

Either change the system or move the players out.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Wrong player for our system, but Crofts and Hammond also suffer from this as well.

Either change the system or move the players out.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about CMS.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Where do you want him to make these intelligent runs?

Some where in between the 4 defenders who've been able to get back and camped in front of him as we tapped it around down back for 5 minutes before it gets into the final third of the pitch?

None of the strikers we have will do any good when faced with that scenario week in and week out. This isn't just a CMS issue.

The problem seems to be is we as a team are tactically predictable and teams have worked out how to counter our game style.

We have central midfielders who in the past have shown they can score a goal, but once again our game plan seems to not involve them getting forward to continuously support the forwards.

CMS is being made a scapegoat by many for our tactical failure in games it seems.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He doesn't make runs because nobody plays him in! He's always behind the defender looking to make runs, then what happens, is we turn around and pass it round. Every time this happens, I can see his head looking at the sky. As you've pointed out, he's not a lone striker. Playing up front by yourself is hard and only really good players can do it. I do feel however, that he does need to have a game from the sidelines. When he last did, he came on and was extremely sharp and somehow his touch improved!

Exactly he didn't make any decent runs today full stop. He wasn't a target and every time the ball went into the box he was on his heels, not anticipating the delivery or the second ball. Quite a few times our fullbacks had no option other then to go back or sideways as CMS wasn't coming short to collect neither was he running in behind. He was so easy to mark today it was untrue their centre half had him for pace, muscle and unfortunately for us I don't see CMS as a thinking mans footballer it's head down 100 MPH with no thought, composure or guile.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Where do you want him to make these intelligent runs?

Some where in between the 4 defenders who've been able to get back and camped in front of him as we tapped it around down back for 5 minutes before it gets into the final third of the pitch?

None of the strikers we have will do any good when faced with that scenario week in and week out. This isn't just a CMS issue.

The problem seems to be is we as a team are tactically predictable and teams have worked out how to counter our game style.

We have central midfielders who in the past have shown they can score a goal, but once again our game plan seems to not involve them getting forward to continuously support the forwards.

CMS is being made a scapegoat by many for our tactical failure in games it seems.

Granted Hoskins came on whilst we had more presence upfront, but I guarantee you he or another striker of similar ability would make a much better fist of it up there. For one he understands the game, his second touch isn't always a tackle and his movement is cuter.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Exactly he didn't make any decent runs today full stop. He wasn't a target and every time the ball went into the box he was on his heels, not anticipating the delivery or the second ball. Quite a few times our fullbacks had no option other then to go back or sideways as CMS wasn't coming short to collect neither was he running in behind. He was so easy to mark today it was untrue their centre half had him for pace, muscle and unfortunately for us I don't see CMS as a thinking mans footballer it's head down 100 MPH with no thought, composure or guile.

Did you not notice that when they delivered in crosses they were either rubbish crosses or CMS was pretty much on his own in a sea of yellow jerseys?

That's what I noticed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Maybe it's time to try CMS in midfield. He'll see more of the ball and we do need a bit more energy in the middle of the pitch.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Maybe it's time to try CMS in midfield. He'll see more of the ball and we do need a bit more energy in the middle of the pitch.

I'd be up for that if he didn't have a 5 yard first touch.

He wasn't the only player on the pitch who was terrible for us today though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Granted Hoskins came on whilst we had more presence upfront, but I guarantee you he or another striker of similar ability would make a much better fist of it up there. For one he understands the game, his second touch isn't always a tackle and his movement is cuter.

How did we go when CMS was out for a while? I seem to remember people wanting him to get back asap into the team as we were toothless up front without him.

Perhaps we need to consider that there are very few strikers out there that fit the system we play.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Did you not notice that when they delivered in crosses they were either rubbish crosses or CMS was pretty much on his own in a sea of yellow jerseys?

That's what I noticed.

Totally agree the service his receiving isn't great, but his all-round play has deteriorated to such an extent, that he offers nothing up there and for that reason on current form he doesn't deserve his place, and in all honesty I think we are better off parting ways as our system really doesn't suit him.

Arguably there are a number of players who could be dropped after todays performance but 1 goal in 8 coupled with inept displays means it time to definitely give Hoskins ago and to a lesser extent Barnes & Dobbie.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Totally agree the service his receiving isn't great, but his all-round play has deteriorated to such an extent, that he offers nothing up there and for that reason on current form he doesn't deserve his place, and in all honesty I think we are better off parting ways as our system really doesn't suit him.

Arguably there are a number of players who could be dropped after todays performance but 1 goal in 8 coupled with inept displays means it time to definitely give Hoskins ago and to a lesser extent Barnes & Dobbie.

Given our lack of attacking success or creativity it seems the majority of the squad might not be suited by the system.

Before we go dropping CMS perhaps we need to put another striker next to him and let someone like Crofts and Hammond attack from the middle of the park to give the opposition defence something else to think about and actually play to those players strengths.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I don't believe in god(s) but I am now praying that CMS in midfield never happens. Comes across as a very nice guy but a midfielder? I think his best position right now is on the bench.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
CMS did little wrong tonight, he plays isolated upfront and our tactics do not suit him in the slighest, what is the f***ing point of hitting ball, after ball, after ball into the box from out wide when he's 5'8? What is the f***ing point. It's not CMS' fault we were shite tonight, it was the tactics and the team selection before anything else.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't believe in god(s) but I am now praying that CMS in midfield never happens. Comes across as a very nice guy but a midfielder? I think his best position right now is on the bench.

He could be the midfield dynamo we need. Bags of energy, harrying opposition players, playing without the pressure of trying to score, and getting more touches of the ball could help him develop his touch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not happening, but I still think his stock is sufficiently high to get a decent price for him and use that money to buy a more suitable replacement.

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
Tyrone Biggums;5394089CMS is being made a scapegoat by many for our tactical failure in games it seems.[/QUOTE said:
Agreed, that's why talk of a new forward to solve our woes is bullshit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here