Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a None of the Above Party? - Trimingham in today's Argus

An interesting piece by Adam Trimingham in today's Argus, discussing the decline of support for all mainstream political parties.

An extract ...

At next year's city elections there are likely to be rich crops of independents. It costs nothing to contest a local election and for the committed candidate it can be fun.

What's more, with the electorate in a volatile and unpredictable mood, there is even the chance of being elected.

A big issue could force the day. Someone opposing tall towers could do well in a seat such as central Hove ...

Over in Lewes District Council there is just that sort of issue with the application by Brighton and Hove Albion for a stadium at Falmer.

The council believes it is going by the wish of the local electorate, not only by opposing the application but also by taking the issue at some expense to judicial review.

Seagulls supporters firmly believe this is not the case and intend standing a set of candidates next year. What's more, they are sticking one up at a by-election tomorrow for a seat at Ringmer.

That could be bad news both for the ruling Lib Dems and the Tory opposition. There are probably a great many more Seagulls fans out there than they had thought.

Indeed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I dont tend to buy Programmes at games so sorry if it is.

As mentioned on another thread there are more people that dont know about NSC that do, has the Seagulls party put anything in the match day programme to let other fans know?

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Time to get the local news involved I think....TV, Radio and Papers.

Kinky Gerbils said:
I dont tend to buy Programmes at games so sorry if it is.

As mentioned on another thread there are more people that dont know about NSC that do, has the Seagulls party put anything in the match day programme to let other fans know?
The club did a double-page spread about The Seagulls Party in the Brentford programme.

And there was also a feature in the Gillingham programme.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have always thought that local elections should not be linked to major party politics and should be fought by independents.

Let the major parties restrict themselves to national elections. Locally we should vote for people who are going to work for our local interests and are not aligned to party politics.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
BarrelofFun said:

This is getting exciting. What are the plans for tomorrow? Is there a chance for non-residents to watch a potential victory unfold?

An Election Agent writes:

Unfortunately, I suspect that the press may fail to descend on Ringmer Village Hall in their thousands. Or even hundreds. Or even in ones and twos.

I shall post the results on NSC at the earliest possibility (including pictures) but I am very happy to text the results to any non-residents if they send me their mobile phone numbers - pm or email roz.south@seagullsparty.org

If our candidate is successful I shall change my username to "The Councillor's Bird". Possibly.

(The above information was promoted and published by The Seagulls Party, PO Box 127, Lewes BN7 9DA and Rosalind South, 4 Railway Cottages, Ripe Lane, Firle BN8 6NJ

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Seagulls Party said:
The club did a double-page spread about The Seagulls Party in the Brentford programme.

And there was also a feature in the Gillingham programme.

I guessed that would be the case

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anyone done any unofficial opinion polls on the result?

Even if it were just a small sample during awalkabout.

I mean do we stand a chance?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I did a small walkabout yesterday. One delightful old gentleman apologised for being a lifelong Conservative but wished us well. And at another household in the ward it was cheering to see that the Lib Dems latest leaflet had lasted less than a minute before being put in the compost bin. Word on the street has been encouraging but you can never tell whether this is going to be reflected in the ballot box.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Anyone else worried we'll lose by miles and the Lib Dems will be gloating all over the papers?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well I did part of the Broyle Estate on Saturday (apologies to our prospective coucillor for the delay) and without any official canvassing there were already three Bassford posters to one Lib Dem.

Be great wouldn't it. Fingers crossed for the bearded one.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
roz said:
An Election Agent writes:

Unfortunately, I suspect that the press may fail to descend on Ringmer Village Hall in their thousands. Or even hundreds. Or even in ones and twos.

I shall post the results on NSC at the earliest possibility (including pictures) but I am very happy to text the results to any non-residents if they send me their mobile phone numbers - pm or email roz.south@seagullsparty.org

If our candidate is successful I shall change my username to "The Councillor's Bird". Possibly.

(The above information was promoted and published by The Seagulls Party, PO Box 127, Lewes BN7 9DA and Rosalind South, 4 Railway Cottages, Ripe Lane, Firle BN8 6NJ

Thank you kindly, Madam.

I am between mobiles due to a drunken mishap, so I will be eagerly waiting on here for news.

Best of luck and enjoy yourselves.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
I am constantly sickened by local politicians beahving as if they are in Westminster. Look at many of the big issues locally and direction comes from central government, unless of course you are in a conservative majority, witness East Sussex County Council, and they do the exact opposite. What happened to doing what the electorate wants?

Parking schemes in Lewes and Eastbourne anyone? No one wanted them - but we got them.

Ed Bassford

Jul 22, 2006
Dick Knights Mum said:
Well I did part of the Broyle Estate on Saturday (apologies to our prospective coucillor for the delay) and without any official canvassing there were already three Bassford posters to one Lib Dem.

Be great wouldn't it. Fingers crossed for the bearded one.
???

The Lib Dem has a beard as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here