Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tim Vickery

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I seem to recall this too, I am sure he said he was surprised we went for him and like you say, wasn't sure if he would cope.
There was a reason we went back for him though as we all now know.
Watching Enciso against Saints the other day, I was quite surprised at how robust he looked - I didn't have a problem with him anyway, but he seemed once or twice to be "shrugging off" robust challenges.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Someone made a good point when I highlighted his comments on Enciso before we signed him - has he ever not talked up a South American player coming to the PL ?
With you and @LamieRobertson on this. Vickery went wild on Caicedo, but was less effusive on both Enciso and Buonanotte. He might transpire to be right, but Julio and Facundo might be revealing that our club's modelling of player development is superior to Vickery's.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Vickery was orgasmic when we signed Caicedo and said that if he was Brazilian there would have been another 0 on the fee.

He was rather correct.

So I do look out for his stuff.
He was calling Caicedo out as a superstar way before we signed him………..and was surprised we got him (thought he would go to a ‘big’ club).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He was calling Caicedo out as a superstar way before we signed him………..and was surprised we got him (thought he would go to a ‘big’ club).

I remember him explaining that Manure walked away, because they don't trust multiple agencies/parties owning the rights to a player.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can be heard on 5Live overnight Monday/Tuesday on the Dotun Adebayo show. ....

Dotun Adebayo's nephew, Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, was an U-16 schoolboy with Albion back in the 2012-13 season. He didn't earn a scholarship and moved on to Eastbourne Borough, signing for Peterborough United a year later.
He was part of the Notts County squad this season that earned promotion to the Football League.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I seem to recall this too, I am sure he said he was surprised we went for him and like you say, wasn't sure if he would cope.
There was a reason we went back for him though as we all now know.
I remember that interview and I think the point about Enciso was that the standard of football in Paraguay was so bad that it was difficult to tell if he would be able to make the step up to the Premier league.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Not sure if it was a quote or a summary of his view from someone on here, but there was a comment that Enciso was more of a Billy Arce gamble than a Caciedo certainty.
That was what he said, something very similar to "if you wanted a comparison with a south American player signed by brighton he's more billy arce than caceido"

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Someone made a good point when I highlighted his comments on Enciso before we signed him - has he ever not talked up a South American player coming to the PL ?
I seem to recall him not being overly complimentary Billy Arce

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes completely agree. Wish we had someone like him on English football.
Well.... on R5 last night Kelly Cates had a long discussion about Brighton, and how we do it, with Brighton 'expert',.....Andy Naylor!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well.... on R5 last night Kelly Cates had a long discussion about Brighton, and how we do it, with Brighton 'expert',.....Andy Naylor!
Given he's been reporting on the club for decades, he probably is an expert, to be fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here