Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tiling cost advice

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
London prices?

I know many tradesman including close family who produce quality work, £225 to £250 tends to be the day rate.
Not cheap, but seems more reasonable that £375.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
@Si Gull whoever you go with, ensure that they protect the bath from the very beginning. My father in law, just retired, was great at bathrooms including your type of project. He cut an exact match piece of plywood to sit on top of the bath during all works. Someone else who did the same work years before just used a pile of dust sheets. They failed to precent glass-like chips of removed tiles chipping the bath.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm thinking of replacing a bathroom this year. It's not too big, about 2.2m x 2.3m, and currently only the shower corner is tiled, the rest is just painted plaster. I'd like the whole thing tiled next time. In a situation like this am I better off finding a bathroom company to do the whole job or separate bathroom fitter and tiler?
Google images . . . Too many tiles in a small area could look a bit abattoir!

2m in shower obvs, but think about the feel of the room, I know most blokes are S,SnS in 6 minutes, but ladies like to bathe . . . . In opulent surrounings.

I'd offer my design consultancy service, it only usually adds 300% to the overall project cost.

plus expenses. 😂

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not cheap, but seems more reasonable that £375.
£225 not cheap? After tax and national insurance roughly £160 a day for hard, skilled, manual labour? I dare say some office workers make that in an hour..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
London prices?

I know many tradesman including close family who produce quality work, £225 to £250 tends to be the day rate.
Anything less than £40p/hr min and the sums don’t add up for me anyway.
I wonder how many other sparks actually told her to f### off :facepalm:
Probably all of them 🤣 ridiculous people risk their lives to save a few quid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
£225 not cheap? After tax and national insurance roughly £160 a day for hard, skilled, manual labour? I dare say some office workers make that in an hour..

It's not £160 after tax, it's much more.

Office workers on that amount will no doubt have qualifications too.

EDIT - just realised I misread the post above, and thought it said "I dare say some office workers make that". Missed the hour bit, which office workers don't make.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To benchmark, the average UK full-time salary pw is £627 or £125 pd or £18 ph. Obviously included in that is paid holidays and bank holidays. Don’t jump to say paid sick leave, I know many employees who do not get it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
To benchmark, the average UK full-time salary pw is £627 or £125 pd or £18 ph. Obviously included in that is paid holidays and bank holidays. Don’t jump to say paid sick leave, I know many employees who do not get it.
375x5=1,875 a week pay
1,875 x 48(4weeks holiday) = £90,000
Jeremy Hunt is right a £100,000 salary in Surrey is nothing. 😳

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
375x5=1,875 a week pay

You're suggesting a tradesman works a bank holiday :ROFLMAO:

obviously that's a joke

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
@Si Gull whoever you go with, ensure that they protect the bath from the very beginning. My father in law, just retired, was great at bathrooms including your type of project. He cut an exact match piece of plywood to sit on top of the bath during all works. Someone else who did the same work years before just used a pile of dust sheets. They failed to precent glass-like chips of removed tiles chipping the bath.
Thanks, that sounds like a sensible approach. I'll make sure whoever does the work takes care to protect the bath. The guy who's quoted comes highly recommended so hopefully he'll have it covered, literally😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That’s not for skilled people though Aldi staff are on £15 p/hr.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s the national average, it includes millions and millions of highly skilled professionals, and building trades people on the cards.

Please note that I’ve never had an issue with builders day rates or any disputes. I’ve family in the industry. They say £225 to £250 per day is good living, no complaints.

Aren’t you London based where housing is much more expensive, then you have ULEZ and congestion (dead time) getting around.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Well that's 10%+ incorrect.
Screenshot_20240324-220849~2.png

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Damion @ all tiles is really good & reasonable. He's done both my bathrooms & my father in laws. 100% recommend a local independent tradesman

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s the national average, it includes millions and millions of highly skilled professionals, and building trades people on the cards.

Please note that I’ve never had an issue with builders day rates or any disputes. I’ve family in the industry. They say £225 to £250 per day is good living, no complaints.

Aren’t you London based where housing is much more expensive, then you have ULEZ and congestion (dead time) getting around.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Yes I am London based although I don’t pay the Khan tax CC charge & parking is billed separately and most customers either get me a parking permit or pay it online.
Brighton seems very expensive property wise almost on par with London apart from central obviously where it’s just obscene.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
375x5=1,875 a week pay
🤣🤣🤣 I wish. Comments like this show people have absolutely no idea what being self employed is.
There's some weeks I earn nothing.
Some weeks I do a few little jobs.
I might do a bathroom every 6 weeks or so.
Tbh if there's someone out there fitting bathrooms every week of the year they deserve 90k coz they'll be dead by 50.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here