Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Tight jeans and bovver boots

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
. As for dockers, my 13 year old daughter has a couple of pairs. I have been trying to find pictures of all the boots piled high outside the North Stand to show her. If anyone has one please post it.

F8808496-2DD6-41E5-86E5-9669D59A21A0.jpeg

From the book Super Seagulls by John Vinicombe, I knew I had seen the photo in one of my books.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
There's a great scene in This is England, where the boys mum takes him to buy some DMs and the shop assistant fobs him off with some eastern European tut, claiming there all the rage in London. My mum tried to do the same to me when I was a mini skinhead at the age of 12. I declined and was a Mod within a few months.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have a pair of Dr MArtins for rallying on the scooter, rarely wear them for anything else . . . . kickers and desert boots are about as waterproof!!!

I have a few pairs of Frank Wright lofas and a pair of solatios though.

Levis are normal size.

TBH I'm far more concerned with the cut of my shirt.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have about 5 pairs of DM's from about 30 years ago, they were stored, I got them out last winter and there in very good condition. They are from when they were "made in England" I was amazed how expensive they are now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have about 5 pairs of DM's from about 30 years ago, they were stored, I got them out last winter and there in very good condition. They are from when they were "made in England" I was amazed how expensive they are now.

thats a reflection of what it costs for a skilled person to make a proper pair of shoes in the UK.

the cheap ones are cheap for a reason. same with most things really. SO many people have been hoodwinked into cheap is good whilst the quality of everything declines, all its doing is masking the great divide between rich and poor. Many more are getting poorer further up the ladder whilst the tiny majority shit on us all form a great height.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
You started going in 85 ( to the Albion I guess ) and only saw one mod.
I wasn’t a mod, I like the clothes and music though. I would say posters in their 50s were Mods were probably into the scene in the late 70s and early 80s when there was a Mod revival. I was mid teens then and a few lads at my school were into it.

I’ve definitely seen that photo of the boots outside the North Stand, I think it was for the Arsenal match.

Teen years were fantastic then when you look back.

Moving from Brighton to Birmingham 74ish I got swept up in the Brum punk scene 3 years later, but it wasn't until a couple of years after that when Two- Tone came along I got my first pair of Doc Martens and the hair soon got whipped off with a number 1 and a Crombie seemed the preferred clobber rather than a pair of bondage trousers.

1980 I moved to Northants and by the time I got there it was awash with £50 lambrettas,parkers and desert boots, nobody had a skinhead and the surrounding villages were Greaser territory, so you were either a mod or greaser.
The lads I hung about with were all mods so gradually changed my style, got various scooters and smartened up the gear, which has probably stayed with me to this day. Still have a Lambretta LI 150 in the garage.

When I look back now I think how I got swept up in different scenes and think was I just a sheep following others, but realise my circumstances at the time led me to be part of something that I didn't have at home.
I'm also grateful for the eclectic music taste I have now from going through all phases during that period, fantastic time to be a teenager!

68E3AD8E-9962-418C-9876-F27B26CE9615.jpeg

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Anybody who went to see Cock Sparrer at The Concorde on Saturday will know there are still a lot of high boots and braces about. Mostly the old crowd, but there were a few younger ones in there.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
thats a reflection of what it costs for a skilled person to make a proper pair of shoes in the UK.

the cheap ones are cheap for a reason. same with most things really. SO many people have been hoodwinked into cheap is good whilst the quality of everything declines, all its doing is masking the great divide between rich and poor. Many more are getting poorer further up the ladder whilst the tiny majority shit on us all form a great height.

I agree! To be fair if you pay the price they are now and they last 30 years like mine did then it's properbly still a fair price. I think I may have paid something like £40 for mine and they are £189 if you pay for the "Made in England" ones now. The bonus of still having my old ones is that I don't have to break them in to wear them :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree! To be fair if you pay the price they are now and they last 30 years like mine did then it's properbly still a fair price. I think I may have paid something like £40 for mine and they are £189 if you pay for the "Made in England" ones now. The bonus of still having my old ones is that I don't have to break them in to wear them :)

must be an age thing, I splashed similar money on Sanders Chukka boots, they lasted 5 years of very regular wear and dog walking before getting a bit shabby, I bought another pair.

I think the late 70's early 80's was a great time for Yoof, I was a bit younger and jumped in around 80/81 when I heard madness. by the time I was a teenager It was all over (84) When I got my first scooter in '87 it couldn't have been less fashionable but the scootering crowd seemed to encapsulate all of those styles in one bonkers gang. Still doing it all now.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Anybody who went to see Cock Sparrer at The Concorde on Saturday will know there are still a lot of high boots and braces about. Mostly the old crowd, but there were a few younger ones in there.

Did you go? if so, any good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here