Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thunderstorms kicking off.....................

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bit of flashing and loud banging going on….don’t recall this being forecast
Blimey, send it further up the Home Counties please! Love a lightening show!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Looks impressive but yes one for Hastings at best

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Really? Are we likely to have thunder in Worthing tonight?

Henry is with my Mum and he hates thunder.
I don't see any lightning from those little showers running onto the coast near here, with the main interest further East, but that rumble I heard was reasonably close

Screenshot_20230617_233548_Chrome.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Loads of thunder and lightning here in Eastbourne. But no storm showers yet. I think it'll be different in a few minutes though as the wind has gotten up whereas it was completely still for hours prior.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Screenshot_20230617-234215.png

Plenty of lightning south of Eastbourne, other than that it doesn't look like much happening.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes,they do say if you are hit by lightning then it's highly likely you will be hit again.
It's a fascinating phenomenon.
Thanks for posting this,it's an Interesting story albeit tragic too.
The probability of being struck a second time is exactly the same as the probability of being struck a first time.

Except you may well plan to be a bit more f***ing careful next time there's thunder and lightening about, so the risk should fall.

But either way, the chances are rather small.

One person in 19 million will die of a strike in the US each year (https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001AtmRe..56..325E/abstract)

If the population of the US is 331 million (which it is) then 17 people will die each year. In America. Put it another way, on average it will take each American 19 million years to be confident of being struck once. And to be struck twice will take 38 million years.

Now, if you are what is known as a prize plum, someone who likes to walk about when there is heavy lightening, your chances of being hit will increase. And if you are what is known as a cockjuggling thundercunt and, after having been hit by a streak, the first think you do is wander lonely in a storm, the risk of a second hit may go up a bit.

For the rest of us, it is all chance.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is lovely here in Hastings! Proper storm now with some spectacular lightening and serious rumble to the thunder. But best of all... It's absolutely tipping it down, and has been for the past 15 minutes or more. Hopefully this rain will continue on for a while yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here