Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thunderstorms kicking off.....................

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Would love to see a good storm tonight, no doubt it will bypass us again as it crosses the channel

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
_20200812_200934.JPG

Definitely headed our way. It's taken about an hour to go from the French coast to where it is on the radar so hopefully before 9pm we may finally get it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is there any geological reason why lightning storms appear to stubbornly avoid the South East of England when they happily zap every other bugger in Western Europe? Like an invisible force field or something?

And yes, yes I do know that this post will appear foolish by the morning

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
North East Somerset. Massive rain for about 3 minutes now.
Rumbles of thunder from the north.
Probably massive Leeds on the march to rescue Ben White.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sitting on the beach at Goring and heard 3 or 4 rumbles coming from, I think, over the sea.

Bit of a breeze whipping up too, which has a storm-on-the-way kinda feel to it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its been thundering and lightening here for the past 3 1/2 hours. Mostly towards Chester. Not much rain though.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sitting on the beach at Goring and heard 3 or 4 rumbles coming from, I think, over the sea.

The air feels different in Chi, it's definitely on it's way.

No need to water the plants tonight.:rave:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Rain radar and lightning radar showing strikes and rain South and Southeast of Worthing moving NNW.... ITS A COMING!!!

Eta C. 21.30 ish...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is there any geological reason why lightning storms appear to stubbornly avoid the South East of England when they happily zap every other bugger in Western Europe? Like an invisible force field or something?

And yes, yes I do know that this post will appear foolish by the morning

Yes, it's big, wet and about 30 years ago someone dug a tunnel underneath it. Storms feed off the convection heat from the ground, once over water they lose this impetus. It's a bit like riding a bike toward a hill when you're stuck in gear, if you get some momentum going you might make it without stalling and having to push, but more often than not you won't. Plus the aforementioned Coriolis effect taking it more often off toward Kent / up the straits of Dover.

This is likely to be the best time of year for it, as in June you can get some epic storms in northern France but the sea is too cold to sustain them. Right now the sea is warm enough to just about support them over. Really it's probably at it's best in September time, but unfortunately the storm-making potential tends to disappear over the continent.

Usually a system might make it over with a bit of energy to produce a few flashes and bangs on the coast, but will pick up as it moves inland so the same system could produce a few rumbles in Shoreham and be back to something more spectacular by Gatwick.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Where the F is this Fing rain!?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here