Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THREE tournaments in a row! Time to start playing like the Spanish.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
But they have Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Fabregas, Alonso, etc....

That is the only reason that type of football works. It will not work for you next year.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

That is the only reason that type of football works. It will not work for you next year.

It seemed to work last year. Also, Swansea hardly have stars but did a lot better with their passing style last year than Southampton will this year with their hoof it it to fat Ricky tactics.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
It seemed to work last year. Also, Swansea hardly have stars but did a lot better with their passing style last year than Southampton will this year with their hoof it it to fat Ricky tactics.

Swansea will be relegated next season. It didn't really work last year though did it? you got found out and ended up tumbling down the table.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Swansea will be relegated next season. It didn't really work last year though did it? you got found out and ended up tumbling down the table.

I was thrilled by our season, we continue to develop something special. The future is very exciting for us and I could not be happier.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm proud to support a club that is well ahead of the majority of English clubs when it comes to playing football the beautiful way.

Bring on the new season.

I just hope all these new season ticket holders understand the evolution.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I can't believe these people still exist. This is the reason why England won't win anything in the next twenty years, because of this attitude. Get it forward to the big man eh?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I can't believe these people still exist. This is the reason why England won't win anything in the next twenty years, because of this attitude. Get it forward to the big man eh?

No, I can't remember where it is, but the passing stats for this season showed us to have the most completed passes, which no doubt you'll all dispute. We have the option of playing it into lambert and building off that, however we also play out from the back a lot, through Schneiderlin and Cork, got full backs forward and got balls into the box as well as working it into the box through the middle of the pitch. I very much enjoyed watching us tear teams apart, last season and "taking the piss" when we were home and dry.

See this... It happened a lot last season, albeit it not always ending in a goal. We also used it to take the sting out of teams and run the clock down. We are not the long ball team you seem to think we are.

The only reason spain are able to play this way is the incredible talent at their disposal at this current time. That will change.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The only reason spain are able to play this way is the incredible talent at their disposal at this current time. That will change.

What??? you need incredibly talent players to win three tournaments in a row and play fantastic possession football? And Spain won't have these types of players for ever and a day and win every tournament forever?

I am glad you are here to state the bleeding obvious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was a fitting end to what I feel has been a fantastic tournament. The football was generally of a great standard and generally positive and attacking, most players played fairly and even the officials declined to be centre stage and in the main let the teams get on with things.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well except that the spanish create chances and score goals, something we were completely incapable of doing for vast swathes of last season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well except that the spanish create chances and score goals, something we were completely incapable of doing for vast swathes of last season.

This. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking Brighton & Hove Albion play anything like the Spanish national team. Yes, the Albion may value possession and the players may eventually become good enough to do most of the passing in the opposition half, but comparisons between the two are superficial at best. The only reason we are able to play keep-ball for above average periods of time in League games in the Championship is because we often have the ball where we are not a threat to the opposition.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking Brighton & Hove Albion play anything like the Spanish national team. Yes, the Albion may value possession and the players may eventually become good enough to do most of the passing in the opposition half, but comparisons between the two are superficial at best. The only reason we are able to play keep-ball for above average periods of time in League games in the Championship is because we often have the ball where we are not a threat to the opposition.

Spain have been at this type of football for a lot longer than us with much better players (albeit against much tougher opposition). I find it strange that so many write off our style of football when really we are just beginning at it. Even Swansea have developed their style over time and a series of managers. Same with Barca, you cannot expect us to play quality effective possession football after a season and a half. Having said that I think we have achieved a great deal in that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here