Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three Thousand, Two Hundred and Eighty Two Miles since we scored away from open play

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For me if the first contact is direct from a set-piece, then it is NOT open play. Therefore the Ince goal is not from open play but the direct result of a free-kick which means we have to go back the golden age of the Fulham game (sighs wistfully at the happy but dim and distant memory) for our last beautifully crafted open play goal.

Sadly Alan would debate till he is blue in the face this isnt the case ;)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Rotherham (452)
Blackburn (566)
Reading (162)
Bolton(538)
Blackpool(596)
Cardiff (380)
Sheff Wed (444)
Millwall (144)

Hats off to the poor souls who during that period have seen us produce one OG and a penalty.

Good stats
nb Free money backing under 2.4 goals away (lately!)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Purely on stats we're over 1 pt per game away, its not a disaster.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ince's goal at Charlton (and that was a header from a free kick).

A set piece, but to be truthful, I had forgotten that one.

2 at Brentford, one at Charlton, 1 at reading, 1 at blackburn.

not too bad, just picking at the stats really.

Brentford was a cup game, Charlton a set piece, Reading a penalty & Blackburn an own goal.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but Norwich fans say the same thing happened when Hughton was in charge of them. Maybe when he's had the summer to get his own players in, his away record will improve?

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Irrelevant and worthless thread. Firstly because a goal is a goal, irrespective of provenance and secondly because philosophically if we were to get into the play-offs next season having played expansive football at home and dull tripe away where not one goal scored was from 'open play' then we'd all be happy.

Going away to Brighton games is something I enjoy, but I don't go in the expectation of expansive football. I go in the hope of enjoying the fealty created by the Dunkirk spirit and the chance of a theft of 3 points. Anything else and we're kidding ourselves.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So we seem to have a thread which overstates the mileage on the basis that the quickest route is used as opposed to the actual mileage, someone who thinks that scoring by someone other than a free kick taker is not from open play, that an own goal scored from a cross is not from open play. Talk about making statistics work for you, I congratulate you and assume you must be working for one of the political parties spin team.

A goal is a goal.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I first read that as "Three Thousand, Two Hundred and Eighty Two minutes", and didn't doubt it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Shouldn't you include the home journey from Charlton, since it came after our last open play goal scored by one of our team?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I wish I hadn't botherer going to ****ing Falmer

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here