Three must go, not just Hyypia. Burke out, Barber out

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why must he go? What is the real Jones, the one who helped coach a team who finished 6th or the assistant to Hyypia.

Because ANY decent manager will want to bring in his own assistant, hence Jones must go.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understand all that, but please answer my question, what players since Gus left have been brought in that could raise another £16 million. Which is my way of judging how good player recruitment is over a period of time. As a players resale value should be an important part of the evaluation for signings being brought in for money as we are now a selling club. Will we for instance get the fees back or more for COG or Baldock?

Is it that easy? I'm pretty sure that the budgets Gus had in the first and second season in the Championship far outstripped what we had to spend this year and last. I think this summer has probably been as tight a budget we've had in a long time.

I don't know what the budgets were, but that is important context you'd have to agree.

As for being a selling club - when exactly haven't we been? ???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Paul Barber is doing exactly what he was employed by TB to do, make us a more viable business perhaps TB cannot afford or does not wish to continue throwing millions into the club with little return. I believe the emphasis on our failures this season rest entirely on the shoulders of SH NJ and Paul Burke. The money men should be left out of the discussions as it is on the pitch that we are poor and that is what needs to be put right.

Agreed. Although it's David Burke.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe Gus also left because he thoguht that he may not get promoted for a while here (if ever) and by stagnating here all he would be doing is harming his long term ambition of managing a top team like Chelsea. Would the Chelsea (or whoever) fans accept a manager from a club like Brighton if he was just a consistant top 10 finisher in the second tier? - he reached a point where he probably wasn't going to improve on his efforts here so to him, he'd made as much of a name for himself as he could here and therefore it was the right time to go (hence the resignation offer prior to Palace at home in March)

Conjecture. He did NOT leave. He was sacked.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Is it that easy? I'm pretty sure that the budgets Gus had in the first and second season in the Championship far outstripped what we had to spend this year and last. I think this summer has probably been as tight a budget we've had in a long time.

I don't know what the budgets were, but that is important context you'd have to agree.

As for being a selling club - when exactly haven't we been? ???

I do have to agree and was truly surprised to hear the chairman state this is the highest paid squad in the history of the club, so the budget could not have been that bad, do you agree

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My 3 to go are:
Sammi - clueless.
Burke - he presided over an absolute shambles of summer recruitment following a poor Jan window.
Jones - he will block a decent manager's arrival.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will the club insist on keeping Jones as they did with Mullery and Lloyd.

It says something about the recruitment that none of the permenant outfield signings of Burke started. Maybe wrong possibly he signed Chicksen.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Will the club insist on keeping Jones as they did with Mullery and Lloyd.

It says something about the recruitment that none of the permenant outfield signings of Burke started. Maybe wrong possibly he signed Chicksen.

He did sign Chicksen and in fact was the only player he paid a fee for in that close season.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do have to agree and was truly surprised to hear the chairman state this is the highest paid squad in the history of the club, so the budget could not have been that bad, do you agree

Not without seeing the details. We still have a fair number of Gus's players in the squad don't we? As I understood it, 2010 signing CMS is still the highest paid player...

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Not without seeing the details. We still have a fair number of Gus's players in the squad don't we? As I understood it, 2010 signing CMS is still the highest paid player...

He may well be a high paid player but for us now to be paying the highest paid squad, means that players like COG, Baldock, Hughes, Colonga and Stockdale must be on higher wages than those that left, Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt, Pig and Hola. That seems crazy to me.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He may well be a high paid player but for us now to be paying the highest paid squad, means that players like COG, Baldock, Hughes, Colonga and Stockdale must be on higher wages than those that left, Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt, Pig and Hola. That seems crazy to me.

Barnes went basically because we didn't want to pay him that bit more. If it is right that we've let the likes of Barnes go through not giving him a better deal, and are paying more for Colunga, then someone is making some ridiculously bad decisions!

People want to blame Burke, and that maybe right but you'd have to know what is going on in detail to know that.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Barnes went basically because we didn't want to pay him that bit more. If it is right that we've let the likes of Barnes go through not giving him a better deal, and are paying more for Colunga, then someone is making some ridiculously bad decisions!

People want to blame Burke, and that maybe right but you'd have to know what is going on in detail to know that.

Absolutely. I'm sure it's more complex & find it hard to believe TB's hand isn't involved.
Not holding onto Barnes & it's timing was a point when many of us chatting on the concourse at the time began to feel seriously uneasy about the way things were going. Oscar had been praising his unselfish contribution with a threadbare squad & Leo had only just returned from injury. His loss made us weaker when we least needed it & really couldn't've helped Oscar's (& Leo's) mood

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely. I'm sure it's more complex & find it hard to believe TB's hand isn't involved.
Not holding onto Barnes & it's timing was a point when many of us chatting on the concourse at the time began to feel seriously uneasy about the way things were going. Oscar had been praising his unselfish contribution with a threadbare squad & Leo had only just returned from injury. His loss made us weaker when we least needed it & really couldn't've helped Oscar's (& Leo's) mood

As our Ashley gets another winner in the Premier League….:facepalm:

There were people on here said, 'good deal, 800k with only a bit left on his contract'. No it was a shocking deal. We lost a £3m+ young striker who we should have made one of our highest paid players if we needed to. Now he's gone, people realise how good he was and how difficult it is to replace that type of player.

This one hurts because he'd have stayed with the right deal in front of him. We just didn't value him like we should have. Like we ended with CMS instead of Murray, we've ended up with Baldock instead of Barnes. Bloody brilliant work.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Nice get out. Probably there are very few clubs that have retained the 'heart and soul' they had when playing in the lower leagues. It is the inevitable price of success. Why you think Brighton would be any different, despite what happened in the 90s, is beyond me. If you want heart and soul then maybe we should play in the lower leagues where there are considerably more fans than corporates. Personally, having seen us in the top flite before, I want to see it again.

It's not a get out. It's not a competition. It's just a different point of view; neither view is necessarily wrong. I don't think a club has to lose its soul to succeed and I don't think that just because some clubs are in the lower leagues it is because of them having a soul; it's largely due to them being poorly supported and poor on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports